Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday September 2, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Transmission (AT/MT) & Driveline

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2005, 12:11 AM   #1
Unabomber
Big Ron
Moderator
 
Member#: 18062
Join Date: Apr 2002
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: I can save you a ton of cash
Vehicle:
on car parts so PM
me b4 j00 buy

OMGHi2U Redline Lightweight Shockproof Gear Oil owns

Today I did my 60K maintenance and put Redline Lightweight Shockproof Gear Oil in my 5MT. I did so based on the recommendation of my PPG gear buddy, Andrew. He was recommended to use this fluid by Simon Pfitzner (the first P in PPG). Being the skeptic that he is, Andrew did some tests and found amazing results. I bought some from Andrew and here is my opinion:

Previously used Mobil 1 and hated it.
Previously swapped back to regular 75W90 and wasn't impressed.
Now with the Redline, I am regularly getting into first gear at 20 MPH. This is a feat that was almost never done on the other fluids. While due to the poor synchro in first gear, it takes a second or two to do so, I can do it without double clutching or other craziness. Just hold it to the first gear gate for a second and it pops right in. Also, for the first time ever, I can hear my first gear synchro spin up!

Other shifts are amazingly smoother with less notchiness. While I can't describe it acurately, I will say this: For you Kartboy dorks out there (yes, I am one too!), remember back to the day you installed the shifter bushings.....remember thinking, "Damn, this was money WELL spent!"? That is the same feeling I have with this fluid. Strongly consider this fluid with your next scheduled change.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Unabomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 12:17 AM   #2
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Default

....uncle changed his trans lube today too(60k)....

....just like butta
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 12:33 AM   #3
desert pirate
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 70033
Join Date: Sep 2004
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Nasioc nursery
Vehicle:
use thesearchbutton
orotherswillcry

Default

I used red line from day 2 till 30k mi, I believe It led to premature failure of syncro #4. Since then had factory lube, yesterday added Prolong, at 88K mi I can once again slip into 1st at 25mph.
desert pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 03:36 PM   #4
hanzo918
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 82148
Join Date: Mar 2005
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: SoCal
Vehicle:
1992 Daihatsu
Charade

Default

How well does the Redline Shockproof Lightweight work in the 5mt rear diffs?
hanzo918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 03:52 PM   #5
Unabomber
Big Ron
Moderator
 
Member#: 18062
Join Date: Apr 2002
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: I can save you a ton of cash
Vehicle:
on car parts so PM
me b4 j00 buy

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanzo918
How well does the Redline Shockproof Lightweight work in the 5mt rear diffs?
Don't know and since no one has reported issues with the rear diff, I didn't want to spend the money. Been running ghetto gear oil for 2 years with no problems. $2 ghetto gear oil > $$$$$$ Redline stuff.
Unabomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 04:47 PM   #6
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Default

....any gl-5 syn 75w90 gear lube will great do for the rear end....I found a bottle of Amsoil 2000 in my garage( ) and used that....a syn lube will last a lot longer, have a higher heat range and cause a bit less friction(a bit better mileage) that plain ghetto gear oil.....and it only takes 0.8qt.

Last edited by Uncle Scotty; 09-04-2005 at 09:02 PM.
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 05:16 PM   #7
akira02rex
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 82612
Join Date: Mar 2005
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2015 WRX STI
Ice Silver Metallic

Default

I thought the synthetics were "bad" for the 5mt? I've read countless posts on people saying that they led to premature failure on synchros and such.
I am currently running GM Synchromesh which I believe is a like a hybrid syncro oil? It's just GM's own blend for their trannies. I guess I'm happy with it, I still get a reverse grind if I try reverse without shifting to another gear first. To remedy the grind I jus shift into 4th, then go directly to reverse and it never grinds! No other gears grind either.
I have heard of people on the boards using synthetics (redline, mobile1, etc) and saying for the first few months the shifting was nice and smooth, then it progessively got worse and worse with more grinding. They switched over to the OEM Subaru stuff and solved all their problems.
I am so confused on what to use anymore..I may just end up putting the OEM stuff back in when the time comes.
I beleive a simple oil cooler would solved a lot of grinding problems. I think the fluid breaks down or something with these trannies. The STI 6spd apprently has a pump so you could easily install one, but the WRX 5mt does not have a pump.
akira02rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 05:34 PM   #8
tom@kartboy
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 67
Join Date: Jul 1999
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: San Diego, CA
Vehicle:
1999 Outlasting
the competition.

Default

Neo RHD
tom@kartboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 08:13 PM   #9
Snoop
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 20626
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Minnesota
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
Silver

Default

Did you use straight up Shockproof, or did you use a blend of that with some other stuff?
Snoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 08:17 PM   #10
hanzo918
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 82148
Join Date: Mar 2005
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: SoCal
Vehicle:
1992 Daihatsu
Charade

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unabomber
Don't know and since no one has reported issues with the rear diff, I didn't want to spend the money. Been running ghetto gear oil for 2 years with no problems. $2 ghetto gear oil > $$$$$$ Redline stuff.
The reason I asked was because after I had installed rear diff bushings, the gears whine like no other during decceleration past 60mph. I was hoping some Lightweight Shockproof in the diff would help with the whining...
hanzo918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 08:59 PM   #11
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by akira02rex
I thought the synthetics were "bad" for the 5mt? I've read countless posts on people saying that they led to premature failure on synchros and such.I am currently running GM Synchromesh which I believe is a like a hybrid syncro oil? It's just GM's own blend for their trannies. I guess I'm happy with it, I still get a reverse grind if I try reverse without shifting to another gear first. To remedy the grind I jus shift into 4th, then go directly to reverse and it never grinds! No other gears grind either.
I have heard of people on the boards using synthetics (redline, mobile1, etc) and saying for the first few months the shifting was nice and smooth, then it progessively got worse and worse with more grinding. They switched over to the OEM Subaru stuff and solved all their problems.
I am so confused on what to use anymore..I may just end up putting the OEM stuff back in when the time comes.
I beleive a simple oil cooler would solved a lot of grinding problems. I think the fluid breaks down or something with these trannies. The STI 6spd apprently has a pump so you could easily install one, but the WRX 5mt does not have a pump.
Did you read the damn post????? NO....!!!!

My above post is for The R160 rearend ! ! ! ! !



....and ya need to do some mor reading on the 5MT....'aint no damned 'cooler' gonna do jack ****....and I've done ALL the damned research and came up with my 'cocktail' as a result.

done.
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 10:12 PM   #12
Kostamojen
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 2272
Join Date: Sep 2000
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: haha XD
Vehicle:
2013 Subaru 599 :P
Galaxy Blue Sexy

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoop
Did you use straight up Shockproof, or did you use a blend of that with some other stuff?
Sounds like it was straight up. I used just shockproof in my last car, worked great. It takes a couple minutes to get warm, but once it does its very nice, even better for hard driving.
Kostamojen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 10:49 PM   #13
DrD
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 22412
Join Date: Aug 2002
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Vehicle:
2012 Legacy 2.5GT
Ice Silver Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by akira02rex
I am currently running GM Synchromesh which I believe is a like a hybrid syncro oil? It's just GM's own blend for their trannies. I guess I'm happy with it, I still get a reverse grind if I try reverse without shifting to another gear first.
might be because reverse is not synchronized in the 02-05 Impreza (I don't know if they changed that or not for 06)

I never get a "grind" per se going into reverse - sometimes it just won't go in (maybe it would and grind if I pushed harder) - so I just put it in another gear then it usually goes right in - was the same deal in my last car (older Corolla)
DrD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 11:59 PM   #14
Unabomber
Big Ron
Moderator
 
Member#: 18062
Join Date: Apr 2002
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: I can save you a ton of cash
Vehicle:
on car parts so PM
me b4 j00 buy

Default

I'm using 100% Redline. I was gonna use the cocktail, but went with full strength.
Unabomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 11:38 AM   #15
akira02rex
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 82612
Join Date: Mar 2005
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2015 WRX STI
Ice Silver Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Scotty
Did you read the damn post????? NO....!!!!

My above post is for The R160 rearend ! ! ! ! !



....and ya need to do some mor reading on the 5MT....'aint no damned 'cooler' gonna do jack ****....and I've done ALL the damned research and came up with my 'cocktail' as a result.

done.
Excuse me?? I was replying to Unabomber, not you Uncle..
akira02rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 12:21 PM   #16
Samurai Jack
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 21145
Join Date: Jul 2002
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Not in my own time
Vehicle:
2002 Enemy of Aku

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanzo918
The reason I asked was because after I had installed rear diff bushings, the gears whine like no other during decceleration past 60mph. I was hoping some Lightweight Shockproof in the diff would help with the whining...
You are probably getting all that "whining" now because w/the rear diff bushings installed, you are going to get more NVH transmitted into the car.
Samurai Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 09:05 PM   #17
REX8
*** Banned ***
 
Member#: 24038
Join Date: Sep 2002
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Godspeed Cale...
Default

Where did you buy yours...
REX8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 09:38 PM   #18
Unabomber
Big Ron
Moderator
 
Member#: 18062
Join Date: Apr 2002
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: I can save you a ton of cash
Vehicle:
on car parts so PM
me b4 j00 buy

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by REX8
Where did you buy yours...
Through Andrew at www.gearboxtech.com. He doesn't have it on the site, but if'n you call him ask him for the Unabomber oil and I'm sure he will give you a really good deal on it.
Unabomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 09:42 PM   #19
akira02rex
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 82612
Join Date: Mar 2005
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2015 WRX STI
Ice Silver Metallic

Default

im tryin uncle scotty's cocktail!
akira02rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 10:34 PM   #20
eastcoastbumps
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 29201
Join Date: Nov 2002
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Shrewsbury, MA
Vehicle:
BMW M3
Honda S2000x2

Default

I've been using ULW Shockproof for over 30K miles. I love it. Smooth as butta.
eastcoastbumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 12:11 AM   #21
vinceGC8
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 72263
Join Date: Oct 2004
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Los Angeles
Vehicle:
2008 Impreza STi
Dark Grey Metallic

Default

^ do u mean the superlightweight?

i was reading the redline product descriptions, and the LightWeight Shockproof isnt recommended for synco-type transmission.
Quote:
A unique gear oil designed to lubricate racing transmissions and transaxles which see serious loads (not recommended for most syncro-type transmissions)
i was going to change my transmission fliud since im getting a little grind when i try to put it into first. it was really smooth for the first 5k now its going bad. currently have Valvoline 75w90 synthetic, that was a bad choice i guess.

im going to try the redline lightweight or the superlight weight as unabomber suggested.
vinceGC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 12:37 AM   #22
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by akira02rex
Excuse me?? I was replying to Unabomber, not you Uncle..
...sorry....

....shockproof isn't ordinary syn lube....and I would not use the Super lightweight
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 12:39 AM   #23
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkzard
^ do u mean the superlightweight?

i was reading the redline product descriptions, and the LightWeight Shockproof isnt recommended for synco-type transmission.
Quote:
A unique gear oil designed to lubricate racing transmissions and transaxles which see serious loads (not recommended for most syncro-type transmissions)

i was going to change my transmission fliud since im getting a little grind when i try to put it into first. it was really smooth for the first 5k now its going bad. currently have Valvoline 75w90 synthetic, that was a bad choice i guess.

im going to try the redline lightweight or the superlight weight as unabomber suggested.

...our trannys aren't 'most'....really....and the results can NOT be denied....NO.

....and the Castrol HypoyC is a better lube, IMO, than the Valvoline
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 01:06 AM   #24
pdare
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 72225
Join Date: Oct 2004
Default

I was having shifting problems on my 04 STI. Downshifting from 3rd to 2nd was hard. When I'd be at a light, and shift into 1st gear, I'd have to double clutch or sometimes it just wouldn't go into gear. I was worried about the synchros because Andrew said it'd be like 1500 minimum to fix them. So about two months ago he recommended that I switch to the Redline. And it worked like a champ. He did tell me that when you change it, there is still like a quart that won't come out unless you suck it out or something. So when you fill it up there will still be some of the old left in. Andrew just had my car last week and installed the kartboys and now it's like a whole new tranny.
pdare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 08:54 AM   #25
OzGC8
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 93093
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Stock VF34/P20
Vehicle:
GC8 wrx
11.8@116.65mph

Default

Have used lightweight for more than 100,000miles with lots of drag strip activity on 5 spd doing mid 12s.
Eventually I snap 2nd on 1 of the 100s passes and now running Kaaz gearset .
Rear diff using lightweight or heavyweight ....never had a single issue.

ps. thats what most of the wrx/STi's use here......but you will need to change oil more often if driving hard...8-10,000miles
OzGC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Redline Lightweight Shockproof Gear oil russtafari Drivetrain 13 10-26-2009 11:41 PM
HR: Where to buy Redline Lightwieght Shockproof Gear Oil scooby_wooby Mid Atlantic Impreza Club -- MAIC 7 11-15-2008 09:01 PM
WTB NoVa: Lightweight shockproof gear oil 1QT phoenix1112 MAIC Private Classifieds 3 05-02-2008 03:50 PM
Redline Lightweight Shockproof gear oil jcl North West Impreza Club Forum -- NWIC 12 01-17-2008 03:44 PM
Looking for Redline Lightweight Shockproof gear oil... pntballfreak Southern California Impreza Club Forum -- SCIC 7 10-27-2006 11:33 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.