Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday January 27, 2015
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Electrical & Lighting

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 09-27-2005, 11:24 PM   #1
BrandonWRX
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 42177
Vehicle:
2005 STi
WRB

Default A way to set boost gauge to 0?

I got a mechancial boost gauge but it came in the mail set at -10 inHG (vacuum) instead of 0 or near 0. Is there a way to adjust it so it rests on 0? I couldnt open up the damn thing without feeling like it would break, I tried to open it on the rim part. Keep in mind its mechanical, since electrical boost gauges set themselves. I read that once its off 0 youre pretty much screwed correct?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
BrandonWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 11:42 PM   #2
Mulder
Trust no one

Member#: 11170
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
02 WRX
15 WRX/05 GTO

If you bought it new just send it back and get another one. If it's used it may be possible to open it up and mess with it but usually they aren't off by that much. Sorry to say but this one is probably not useable.
Mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 01:12 AM   #3
ice_bomb
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 37972
Vehicle:
2003 Impreza WRX
Black

My HKS boost gauge always at -0.5 when the engine runs. is this normal?
brandon, I didnt mean to hijack your thread, but I kind of in a similar situation.
ice_bomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 01:22 AM   #4
Hunt3r
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 95484
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
1985 911/993 Cab
silver

I've been wondering about the same thing with my boost gauge. It reads up to 2.0 bars (kg/cm^2) straight to the right and 0 straight to the left but it never rests on 0. Instead when not on boost it goes down below the 0 mark and has a few lines marked with a mmHg measurement. I'm guessing that's just a smaller measurement since there is still some air flowing thru the turbo when the engine is running. Maybe your gauge is like that too?
Hunt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 01:41 AM   #5
ice_bomb
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2003 Impreza WRX
Black

Mine is measured in Kpa. Usually it reads -0.5 Kpa when idle. I dunno if this is normal. I bought the car used, it reads like that when I got it.

Any idea?
Old 09-28-2005, 11:38 AM   #6
JimBlake
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 82247
Vehicle:
2005 Saab 9.2x Aero
satin grey

Idling, it should have a good vacuum. 0.5 kPa is only about 0.07 psi, so that's pretty close to zero. Are you sure you're reading the scale correctly?
JimBlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 12:20 PM   #7
REX8
*** Banned ***

Member#: 24038

Oh man guys....your engine draws air IN while running. You should see negative pressure on the guage while at a standstill. This is normal.

But yeah, in the box, I don't believe it should be reading a negative pressure. Unless the package was sealed...
REX8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 06:08 PM   #8
ice_bomb
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2003 Impreza WRX
Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by REX8
Oh man guys....your engine draws air IN while running. You should see negative pressure on the guage while at a standstill. This is normal.

But yeah, in the box, I don't believe it should be reading a negative pressure. Unless the package was sealed...

What box?? what package is sealed?
I haven't checked my air filter for a while. I dont think it's related to boost gauge. am i correct?
Old 09-28-2005, 06:34 PM   #9
JimBlake
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 82247
Vehicle:
2005 Saab 9.2x Aero
satin grey

I think REX8 was answering Brandon's original question. Sounds like HIS guage was reading 10" of vacuum before he even installed it. Mulder already answered that one; if Brandon just bought it, send it back cause it's defective.
JimBlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 06:41 PM   #10
REX8
*** Banned ***

Member#: 24038

Yup, I was talking about his BG. If the package was vacuum sealed, you could possibly see it reading a negative pressure while still in the package...
REX8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 07:27 PM   #11
BrandonWRX
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 42177
Vehicle:
2005 STi
WRB

Haha yes it was -10 inHg int he box. I have made arrangements to return it. However I might have a better solution (quicker). I did the insurance thing for 2 extra bucks, is there a way to get my money back from USPS?

And as for the other "hijacks" no problem. Your gauges are normal, they should be reading a vacuum of about -.05 to -0.06 when the car is idling, and even more negative when you are decelerating. The negative manifold pressure is normal in all cars, its the basis of the vacuum system. When its + then theres the fun
BrandonWRX is offline   Reply With Quote