Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday May 4, 2015
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Electrical & Lighting

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 10-18-2005, 05:54 PM   #1
ArtechnikA
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 67584
Vehicle:
2004 3,0 Outback
Green

Default '97 Outback "mode" buttons lighted?

car was out of service a long time and now i just don't remember...
the "mode" button panel - to control where the ventilation fans blow and the defrost switch is - is that (supposed to be) lighted?

the Haynes manual makes it look like there oughtta be a light back there, but my panel is dark. before i go pulling that panel to look for a possibly non-existant blub, i thought i'd ask the assembled masses.

i can't imagine the feds would allow a (modern-ish) vehicle without a lighted defrost switch, but ya never know. and since it's been a while, i don't have all the buttons' positions memorised by touch yet...

TIA
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
ArtechnikA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 12:46 PM   #2
outback_97
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 30874
Vehicle:
0897 OUTBACKS
and 2003 TS wagon

It's supposed to be lighted, yes, and yours is probably burnt out.

Happened to mine a while back, I just haven't felt like replacing the bulb as it looks like it'd be a pain to get to.

I know I've seen instructions on bulb replacement somewhere around, try looking around Nasioc, maybe scoobymods, maybe the USMB.

Steve
outback_97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 01:31 PM   #3
ArtechnikA
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 3,0 Outback
Green

thanks. i need to pull the fascia anyway, to find out why my radio reception is so sucky (was fine with the OEM radio, the spiffy Blaupunkt replacement is very weak...) so i'll pull the button panel then and be done with it all.

thanks again. i was beginning to think '97 Outbacks got no respect here. i'd reply to your question if i knew the answer, but i don't, sorry...
Old 10-19-2005, 03:22 PM   #4
ATX25RS
Scooby Guru

Member#: 4597
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
2011 Mitsu Outlander
Sport (Ex-Suby owner X3)

did you make sure the antenna was connected correctly on the replacement stereo?
ATX25RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 03:33 PM   #5
ArtechnikA
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 3,0 Outback
Green

i thought so at the time - it didn't appear to be any different from other antennas i've plugged into replacement radios through the years. but i'm 100% sure i can't fix it from this side of the fascia, so i'll have to get in there and see just what's up.

it had adequate sensitivity for the radio station i used to listen to in NV, and now that it's just recently back in service, i've been catching up on some CD's...

with winter coming, the 911 i had been driving every day is put away and i'm really looking forward to having the Subie available now...
Old 10-19-2005, 06:21 PM   #6
outback_97
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 30874
Vehicle:
0897 OUTBACKS
and 2003 TS wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtechnikA
thanks again. i was beginning to think '97 Outbacks got no respect here.
We don't Some Impreza owners forget Subaru makes other models. But it is nasIoc after all, so I can't complain.

Let us know if you have success in fixing the light on the HVAC buttons, thanks. I'm quite sure I've seen instructions on that before, it might have been in the context of changing the colors though, rather than fixing a burnt out one. You'd be amazed how much info is out there, it's just a matter of finding it.

Steve
outback_97 is offline   Reply With Quote