Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday September 26, 2016
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Electrical & Lighting

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 10-19-2005, 06:25 PM   #1
0BlueSTi4
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 98955
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Hatch
White

Default Help I/C water spray not working!?

Just bought a used 04 STi and it puts a smile on my face every time I get in that seat!

I have been playing with all the gadgets in the cockpit and everything seems to be in working order except the I/C water spray. When I press the I/C button nothing seems to happen. There seems to be water in the tank and no warning light on the dash. Tried it with keys in the ignition, engine running to no avail. When I hit that button all I hear is 'click' coming from the button; nothing from the relay or the pump. Asked a Subaru mechanic at the dealership and he informed me that I/C spray only works when you are above 3K RMPs and at least in 3rd gear, which brings me to my question.

Is this mechanic full of it or is it just me? Manual doesnt mention anything about this and people in threads seem to mention spraying while sitting in traffic.

Anyone with 04 STi can help me out on this? Can you spray I/C when just idling? Any other tests I can perform to try and debug this problem? I would like to figure out for sure that its broken so I can have Subaru perform the warranty work before warranty runs out.

Any input on this is greatly appreciated!

Last edited by 0BlueSTi4; 10-20-2005 at 01:46 AM.
0BlueSTi4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2005, 11:29 PM   #2
JackClark
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 60264
Vehicle:
2004 STi
White

I would avoid ever going back to that dealership for service because there is the slight chance that the guy you talked to would be asked to perform a maintenance task on your car. Don't let him ever touch your car again. Rather than admitting that he doesn't know what he's talking about, he lied - that's even worse, because now you've been missinformed. And they didn't even fix it.

As far as functionality of the stock USDM I/C water sprayer goes, the car doesn't even have to be started to work. Turn the car on to the accessory position with one click of the key and press the I/C sprayer button. You will hear a click from behind the glove box, the motor will buzz from in the trunk, and then 2 seconds later it'll click off. There are no gear or RPM requirements.

Chances are, you have a blown fuse. It is a 20A fuse in the interior fuse panel (behind the money tray flip-out thingy. It's on the top row , 4th from the left, yellow.

I like the I/C water sprayer so much, I did this: http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5713
JackClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 12:32 AM   #3
shemoves
Scooby Guru

Member#: 80663
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Vehicle:
2005 STi

water spayer is great...especially for me 'cause I'm in phoenix. I've even thought of trying to add some tubes to spray on my radiator, and maybe even an oil cooler.
shemoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 01:48 AM   #4
0BlueSTi4
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2011 WRX Hatch
White

Thanks for the reassurance Jack. I'm gonna check that fuse in the morning and if its not the fuse than have a different dealer fix it. By the way, what part of Cali are you from?
Old 10-20-2005, 01:54 AM   #5
JackClark
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 STi
White

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0BlueSTi4
Thanks for the reassurance Jack. I'm gonna check that fuse in the morning and if its not the fuse than have a different dealer fix it. By the way, what part of Cali are you from?
I hope that helps you. I'm from the Central Coast of California... to be more specific, the San Luis Obispo area.
Old 10-20-2005, 02:50 PM   #6
0BlueSTi4
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2011 WRX Hatch
White

Oh cool I'm from Santa Barbara.

By the way I'm just curious how you determined it was the 4th fuse since looking at the manual that came with the car it says that 4th fuse is for mirrors. Strangely enough the manual does not specify which fuse is used by I/C. It is possible there are multiple accessories on a single fuse and manual does not call those out. I am also wondering just how safe it is to pull some of those fuses out. Say if you were to pull a fuse used by the SRS air bag is there a risk of that air bag deploying? Cuz that would be a pretty expensive thing to deal with. Or are fuses generally pretty safe to pull out as long as the key is not in the ignition?

Thanks.
Old 10-20-2005, 04:08 PM   #7
eric94501
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 61686
Vehicle:
2004 WRX
Silver

Do not pull fuses that say airbag or abs. If you pushed the switch the you hear relay clicking then it might not be the fuse. At the spray nozzle theres like a filter right before the spray nozzel see if thats plugged up. Or have a friend stand in the back and listen if the pump is working.
eric94501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 09:24 PM   #8
JackClark
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 STi
White

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0BlueSTi4
Oh cool I'm from Santa Barbara.

By the way I'm just curious how you determined it was the 4th fuse since looking at the manual that came with the car it says that 4th fuse is for mirrors. Strangely enough the manual does not specify which fuse is used by I/C. It is possible there are multiple accessories on a single fuse and manual does not call those out. I am also wondering just how safe it is to pull some of those fuses out. Say if you were to pull a fuse used by the SRS air bag is there a risk of that air bag deploying? Cuz that would be a pretty expensive thing to deal with. Or are fuses generally pretty safe to pull out as long as the key is not in the ignition?

Thanks.
I needed to know what fuse number the I/C sprayer was hanging off of last weekend when I blew the fuse a couple of times trying to make a remote trigger. I found the answer to which fuse we were looking for in a diagram of how the I/C sprayer system works that can be found in the service manual (not the handbook that comes with the car).

As far as airbag fuses go... I wouldn't pull one of those without the electrical system discharged. Pull the negative terminal on the battery and depress the brake pedal a few times. In reality, is the airbag going to blow in your face if you pull that fuse? Probably not, but better safe than sorry. When it comes to things like the accessory fuse, I don't discharge the electrical system - what could happen?
Old 12-22-2005, 05:17 PM   #9
0BlueSTi4
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2011 WRX Hatch
White

Thanks all for your help.

Dealer finally fixed the I/C issue. Apparently it was plugged into the wrong connector somewhere down the line and when I would hit the button absolutely nothing would happen. I know, I would also like to know what retard did that. I guess thats the price you pay for buying a used car and saving some $10k. But I'm glad its working now!