Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday July 13, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Electrical & Lighting

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 11-01-2005, 09:26 PM   #1
DemolitionNine
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 93607
Default Help wiring up some lights... Could someone assist me?

Alrighty, if someone out there could help me out on this... I'd much appreciate it.

I'm going to install some interior accent lights (4 blue neons) under my dash, and seats.. CLEANLY. (no ricer bull**** )

I want to tap a 12v source for both + & -.

I want to then run that to a switch I have, which I will install in one of my "knock-outs" in my dash of my STi (to the left of my steering wheel).

Wiring up the rest of the circuit is straight forward, a hot & a not...

My trouble comes into play here: Can I use the power off of the back of the cigarette lighter in my center console, or do I *HAVE* to fish all my wires up to where the clock is? I'd really rather use the cigarette lighter, since it's down lower in the car, easier to access, and easier to run the wires up in the dash with. I was going to splice, and "Y" off the 2 wires up to my switch, and then off to each inverter next to where each lamp will be mounted.

So. Will that 12v source hold that amount of current ok (4 12" long flourescent StreetGlow tubes). They don't seem to get past warm, and the inverters don't get warm either, so I'm assuming they're very low current draw items. (just like the ones you'd add to a computer case for accent lighting).

Also, how do I get the "knock outs" out of my dash, without scratching anything up? Do they just pop out, or do you have to pry them out with a screwdriver or something?

Thanks for the help... this'll be my upcoming weekend project!

-Matt
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
DemolitionNine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 09:34 PM   #2
markadopolus
Scooby Guru

Member#: 69586
Chapter/Region: International

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemolitionNine
Also, how do I get the "knock outs" out of my dash, without scratching anything up? Do they just pop out, or do you have to pry them out with a screwdriver or something?
-Matt
Take out the coin tray thingy. Then stick your hand in there and push on the back of the one you wand out. Careful though. Those things may go flying to the back of teh car.
markadopolus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 09:45 PM   #3
DemolitionNine
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by markadopolus
Take out the coin tray thingy. Then stick your hand in there and push on the back of the one you wand out. Careful though. Those things may go flying to the back of teh car.

Thanks for the tip, I'll be careful with em.

Now, just to figure out my wiring.
Old 11-02-2005, 09:43 PM   #4
DemolitionNine
Scooby Newbie

No one knows. ? ?