Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday May 3, 2016
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Miscellaneous > Off-Topic

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2012, 09:36 PM   #4826
jds
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 7991
Join Date: Jul 2001
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Littleton CO.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 340Duster View Post
It does have a pump yes. I've been working on a lighter tamp, but then there's next to no crema with it de-pressurized, but I've been told that's because of the beans.

I hope that logic won't apply to the Abarth
Go buy a container of Illy pre-ground espresso. If you get it from somewhere with decent turnover, it won't be too old. Play with your tamp until you can pull a double in 25 seconds or so. Then, knowing a good tamp, tweak your grind with fresh coffee until you get a good pull in 25 seconds again.

There are so many variables to making good espresso, it takes a while to hone in on what works. Just play with one thing at a time until your shot times are in the right ballpark..

Edited to add: crema isn't the be-all and end-all of espresso. Yes, a nice frothy crema says you've got good fresh beans and a method that works, but the flavor of the shot is still key. Adjust your process based on flavor, not quantity of crema..
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by jds; 12-10-2012 at 10:54 AM.
jds is offline  
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:12 PM   #4827
XanRules
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 157348
Join Date: Aug 2007
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Benghazi
Vehicle:
1996 JNCO Jorts
Stonewashed Denim

Default

So, sheerly out of curiosity, is my espresso machine - a DeLonghi EC115 - worth a ****?

Thanks.
XanRules is offline  
Old 12-13-2012, 05:20 PM   #4828
340Duster
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 52314
Join Date: Jan 2004
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Following the green weenie
Vehicle:
2002 PSM WRX 16G-XT
'13 500 Abarth

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XanRules View Post
So, sheerly out of curiosity, is my espresso machine - a DeLonghi EC115 - worth a ****?

Thanks.
An update, I found a good grind setting finally and with a 30lb tamp and a de-pressurized basket the pull is right at 25 seconds with okay crema from store bought beans.
340Duster is online now  
Old 12-13-2012, 05:21 PM   #4829
poison
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 37678
Join Date: May 2003
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Default

It's got a pump, not thermoblock steam-driven crap, so that's good. What grinder you using? What coffee?
poison is offline  
Old 12-13-2012, 05:22 PM   #4830
poison
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 37678
Join Date: May 2003
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 340Duster View Post
An update, I found a good grind setting finally and with a 30lb tamp and a de-pressurized basket the pull is right at 25 seconds with okay crema from store bought beans.
Ok, now buy good beans, and watch what happens. I'd love for you to buy from me, but there are lots of roasters who will do you right.
poison is offline  
Old 12-13-2012, 05:24 PM   #4831
340Duster
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 52314
Join Date: Jan 2004
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Following the green weenie
Vehicle:
2002 PSM WRX 16G-XT
'13 500 Abarth

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by poison View Post

Ok, now buy good beans, and watch what happens. I'd love for you to buy from me, but there are lots of roasters who will do you right.
Could you work out a NASIOC discount on a trial size of something good for espresso?
340Duster is online now  
Old 12-13-2012, 07:30 PM   #4832
AllAWD
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 17079
Join Date: Apr 2002
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Alexandria, VA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 340Duster View Post
Could you work out a NASIOC discount on a trial size of something good for espresso?
You bought an espresso machine and can't afford Poison's prices for beans? A dinner out costs more than a pound of beans.

...he does occasionally do a NASIOC discount. You just missed one, but he might have another running.
AllAWD is offline  
Old 12-13-2012, 07:32 PM   #4833
XanRules
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 157348
Join Date: Aug 2007
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Benghazi
Vehicle:
1996 JNCO Jorts
Stonewashed Denim

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by poison View Post
It's got a pump, not thermoblock steam-driven crap, so that's good. What grinder you using? What coffee?
Currently I have a blade grinder, waiting for the Capresso Infinity to go on sale. I haven't used the Espresso machine in months.
For Coffee I'm using stuff I get from a local roaster - I'm going to put in an order with you when I get back in town (I'm leaving in a few days for 3 weeks).
XanRules is offline  
Old 12-13-2012, 07:36 PM   #4834
Pallendo
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 65831
Join Date: Jul 2004
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: BFE
Vehicle:
91 Miata. Hey you
can f* short girls in one

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 340Duster View Post
Could you work out a NASIOC discount on a trial size of something good for espresso?
The xmas sampler isn't the deal you are looking for?

Last edited by Pallendo; 12-13-2012 at 07:42 PM.
Pallendo is offline  
Old 12-13-2012, 07:40 PM   #4835
Pallendo
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 65831
Join Date: Jul 2004
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: BFE
Vehicle:
91 Miata. Hey you
can f* short girls in one

Default

Surprisingly, this is a hobby that can SAVE* you money! Based on what I am not buying, the new roaster should have paid for itself in 18 months. The 8 month old espresso machine has already paid for itself. If I buy an Astra Pro, that will take 3 years to amortize...


*Savings based on replacing a Starbucks/Peets/Caribou/BlueBottle/etc habit.
Pallendo is offline  
Old 12-13-2012, 07:55 PM   #4836
poison
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 37678
Join Date: May 2003
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Default

YAYNASIOC is up for 2 days
poison is offline  
Old 12-13-2012, 07:55 PM   #4837
poison
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 37678
Join Date: May 2003
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Default

.....

Last edited by poison; 12-13-2012 at 08:03 PM.
poison is offline  
Old 12-13-2012, 08:27 PM   #4838
froggert
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 768
Join Date: Jan 2000
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: nj
Vehicle:
OB, legacy, 911,
ram 1500, 1098s, m620

Default

poison's coe honduras is phenomenal. it's very forgiving, too. seems like even i can't screw this up. i had a quadruple shot (2 doubles?) this morning and was craving more.
froggert is offline  
Old 12-14-2012, 02:52 AM   #4839
poison
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 37678
Join Date: May 2003
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggert View Post
poison's coe honduras is phenomenal. it's very forgiving, too. seems like even i can't screw this up. i had a quadruple shot (2 doubles?) this morning and was craving more.
Kick ass, thank you! I've pulled some insane shots as well. It's sweet, caramelly, tangy, fruity, got the full spectrum.

The Colombia Pedregal Lot 172 is SICK in a Clever.
poison is offline  
Old 12-14-2012, 03:30 AM   #4840
Uncle Scotty
*** Banned ***
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK buy Nates beans
westcoastroasting.com

Default

Nate...im S00000000000000ooooooooooooo pissed off....i got sent out on a job and didnt get a chance to get my coffee outta my mailbox before i left town :grum py:

im gonna hafta make a mad dash back to rescue it

tis only 110 miles back....i can make it round trip in....mmm two hours and 40 minutes if i dont get stopped
Uncle Scotty is offline  
Old 12-14-2012, 03:36 AM   #4841
AllAWD
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 17079
Join Date: Apr 2002
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Alexandria, VA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Scotty View Post
Nate...im S00000000000000ooooooooooooo pissed off....i got sent out on a job and didnt get a chance to get my coffee outta my mailbox before i left town :grum py:

im gonna hafta make a mad dash back to rescue it

tis only 110 miles back....i can make it round trip in....mmm two hours and 40 minutes if i dont get stopped
In Texas, a pickup with a ladder on the rack over the bed gives you all the same privileges as an emergency vehicle.
AllAWD is offline  
Old 12-14-2012, 03:50 AM   #4842
poison
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 37678
Join Date: May 2003
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Scotty View Post
Nate...im S00000000000000ooooooooooooo pissed off....i got sent out on a job and didnt get a chance to get my coffee outta my mailbox before i left town :grum py:

im gonna hafta make a mad dash back to rescue it

tis only 110 miles back....i can make it round trip in....mmm two hours and 40 minutes if i dont get stopped
Sorry man! Be sure it's there, if you can check, because USPS is slammed now. The bonus oughta make it worth your while though!

uh duh, round trip, lol.
poison is offline  
Old 12-14-2012, 03:53 AM   #4843
Uncle Scotty
*** Banned ***
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK buy Nates beans
westcoastroasting.com

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAWD View Post
In Texas, a pickup with a ladder on the rack over the bed gives you all the same privileges as an emergency vehicle.
or a dirty/muddy lifted loud wrx driven by someone with a serious coffee jones goin on

they raised the speed limit on many of the rural roads to 75mph lately....and i usually keep it just under 90 when i need to make time.......200 miles in 2 hours isnt unheard of around here
i only get ~19-20mpg at that speed so thats refuel time anyway
Uncle Scotty is offline  
Old 12-14-2012, 09:29 AM   #4844
HinshawWRX
Medium Frank
Moderator
 
Member#: 140114
Join Date: Feb 2007
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Common Sense, VA
Vehicle:
2014 Porsche
GT3 (Currently on Fire)

Default

Just started my coffee addiction about a month ago. (And at age 25, wtf) Now since we have this stupid crap going on at work, I've not had any coffee in a week. I NEED IT.
























NEEEEEEEEEEED
HinshawWRX is offline  
Old 12-14-2012, 09:35 AM   #4845
340Duster
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 52314
Join Date: Jan 2004
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Following the green weenie
Vehicle:
2002 PSM WRX 16G-XT
'13 500 Abarth

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAWD View Post
You bought an espresso machine and can't afford Poison's prices for beans? A dinner out costs more than a pound of beans.

...he does occasionally do a NASIOC discount. You just missed one, but he might have another running.
I'm not trying to be that much of a cheapskate, just looking for a small-ish quantity to compare to see if my taste buds are really that good anyways
340Duster is online now  
Old 12-14-2012, 10:18 AM   #4846
WRX300
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 17974
Join Date: Apr 2002
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Chicago
Default

My fathers gift to himself for christmas this year is a roaster set up - where can I buy some good beans he can roast? does poisons place sell unroasted beans?
WRX300 is offline  
Old 12-14-2012, 10:46 AM   #4847
Pallendo
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 65831
Join Date: Jul 2004
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: BFE
Vehicle:
91 Miata. Hey you
can f* short girls in one

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRX300 View Post
My fathers gift to himself for christmas this year is a roaster set up - where can I buy some good beans he can roast? does poisons place sell unroasted beans?
sweetmarias.com

Coffee is sorted by region or blend, and it does get VERY specific.

I usually get 8lbs when I order.

Also, what roaster did he get?
Pallendo is offline  
Old 12-14-2012, 10:52 AM   #4848
WRX300
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 17974
Join Date: Apr 2002
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Chicago
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pallendo View Post
sweetmarias.com

Coffee is sorted by region or blend, and it does get VERY specific.

I usually get 8lbs when I order.

Also, what roaster did he get?
awesome, thank you. I dont know, but knowing the way he operates its way overkill and whatever the best one is with all of the addons available.
WRX300 is offline  
Old 12-14-2012, 11:20 AM   #4849
Pallendo
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 65831
Join Date: Jul 2004
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: BFE
Vehicle:
91 Miata. Hey you
can f* short girls in one

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRX300 View Post
awesome, thank you. I dont know, but knowing the way he operates its way overkill and whatever the best one is with all of the addons available.
If I were closer to the point of opening a coffee shop, I would have gotten the HotTop when my air-roaster died, but since I am not ready to do that, I got the GeneCafe.
Pallendo is offline  
Old 12-14-2012, 12:50 PM   #4850
AllAWD
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 17079
Join Date: Apr 2002
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Alexandria, VA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Scotty View Post
or a dirty/muddy lifted loud wrx driven by someone with a serious coffee jones goin on

they raised the speed limit on many of the rural roads to 75mph lately....and i usually keep it just under 90 when i need to make time.......200 miles in 2 hours isnt unheard of around here
i only get ~19-20mpg at that speed so thats refuel time anyway
When I moved out of Texas with my WRX, my parting gift was a ticket from DPS. They ignored every pickup (all were passing me) and pulled my silver stock WRX. 81 in a 70 The ass even crossed out 79 and wrote 81 just to be a dick.
AllAWD is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Master McD's Monopoly game piece thread! BacDoc Off-Topic 253 10-03-2014 11:29 AM
Photochop Classics: The Master Thread DrDRum Off-Topic 120 02-22-2009 01:58 AM
"I smell coffee, do you smell coffee? Who's got coffee?" gongzero Off-Topic 83 06-23-2006 12:40 PM
Official Master OT Thread For Things Mitsubishi Says They're Doing rogue Off-Topic 3 11-02-2005 10:20 AM
Brucelee the Master Crossposter- 7 threads WRSport Bay Area Impreza Club Forum -- BAIC 7 05-13-2002 12:02 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2016 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2016, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.