Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday April 20, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2005, 06:09 PM   #1
Red Rexx
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 67187
Join Date: Jul 2004
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Addison, IL
Vehicle:
2004 STi
WRB

Default Can I get away with just the Stage 2 Map with these mods or is a Protune necessary?

Heyy...I am at Stage 2 for my 2004 WRX. I have all the acceptable bolt on's for the map accept for: CAI, headers, and larger TMIC.

Do I need to upgrade to a protune in order to utilize all 3 of those mod's full hp potential or gain I just install them and see nice gains?

CAI - I know you need a protune because the map will not support it.

Headers - ??? (Is a protune necessary to gain its full hp potential?)

Larger TMIC - ??? (Is a protune necessary to gain its full hp potential?)

Thank you!
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Red Rexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 06:18 PM   #2
darksands
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 75122
Join Date: Nov 2004
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Im in a glass case of emotion
Vehicle:
2005 Impreza WRX
Crystal Gray

Default

you can run stage 2. But a protune would be better. A custom tune is always better... depending on who tunes it. In order to fully utilize your other boltons, you need a custom protune.
darksands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 06:49 PM   #3
Red Rexx
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 67187
Join Date: Jul 2004
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Addison, IL
Vehicle:
2004 STi
WRB

Default

I dont think I want to spend hundreds of $$$ on a custom tune. I know you need a custom tune for a CAI, so that it out of the question.

How about headers and a larger TMIC though? Would I see decent gains by just throwing them on and resetting the ECU or would I need a custom tune for full power for both?
Red Rexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 06:59 PM   #4
Samurai Jack
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 21145
Join Date: Jul 2002
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Not in my own time
Vehicle:
2002 Enemy of Aku

Default

If you want to get the best potential out of your upgrades (headers, big TMIC, etc.), you are going to need a custom tune.

Better start saving now!
Samurai Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 07:08 PM   #5
23b_Rex
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 79394
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: reston
Vehicle:
02 gda
wrb

Default

get st
23b_Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 07:20 PM   #6
richde
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 79498
Join Date: Jan 2005
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: SCIC's trashy neighbor
Vehicle:
2013 XV Silver Slug
'84 Porsche 911-sorta red

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Rexx
Heyy...I am at Stage 2 for my 2004 WRX. I have all the acceptable bolt on's for the map accept for: CAI, headers, and larger TMIC.

Do I need to upgrade to a protune in order to utilize all 3 of those mod's full hp potential or gain I just install them and see nice gains?

CAI - I know you need a protune because the map will not support it.

Headers - ??? (Is a protune necessary to gain its full hp potential?)

Larger TMIC - ??? (Is a protune necessary to gain its full hp potential?)

Thank you!

Lemme get this straight, you want to spend $1000-1500 on parts but that extra 200-300 for a tune would be just too much? How about skip the CAI since it's a waste and get some REAL gains with a real tune?
richde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 07:44 PM   #7
Red Rexx
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 67187
Join Date: Jul 2004
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Addison, IL
Vehicle:
2004 STi
WRB

Default

Thanks I understand what you guys are saying. All I want to know is if I will get gains by just bolting on headers or the TMIC or will I need a tune to feel them.

I have heard that you will not feel gains without a tune with headers. Is that true? How about with the TMIC?
Red Rexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 08:02 PM   #8
richde
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 79498
Join Date: Jan 2005
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: SCIC's trashy neighbor
Vehicle:
2013 XV Silver Slug
'84 Porsche 911-sorta red

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Rexx
Thanks I understand what you guys are saying. All I want to know is if I will get gains by just bolting on headers or the TMIC or will I need a tune to feel them.

I have heard that you will not feel gains without a tune with headers. Is that true? How about with the TMIC?
BTW, if you just got a protune with your current setup you'd probably see more gains than these parts. The CAI and IC won't do much of anything for a stock turbo, the headers might give you a few hp up top at the cost of a few down low.
richde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 08:23 PM   #9
Bman
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 64351
Join Date: Jun 2004
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Portland ME
Vehicle:
2005 Legacy GT

Default

You will not get gains from the TMIC unless you get tuned for it. Headers are very controversial anyway, its up to you if you want to spend the money on them. I would put that money towards your tune. Also with stock turbo there is no need for a CAI
Bman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 09:43 PM   #10
Red Rexx
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 67187
Join Date: Jul 2004
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Addison, IL
Vehicle:
2004 STi
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bman
You will not get gains from the TMIC unless you get tuned for it. Headers are very controversial anyway, its up to you if you want to spend the money on them. I would put that money towards your tune. Also with stock turbo there is no need for a CAI
Thats what ive been learning through my research.

Anyone else?
Red Rexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 10:11 PM   #11
beast
*** Banned ***
 
Member#: 95242
Join Date: Sep 2005
Default

i had my sliver 2005 wrx with headers short ram intake cat back exhaust uppipe down pipe an it was fast as **** with headers top end pulled so much harder you could easily tell the difference without all on stage 2 cobb if you want to spend the money on a protune i would first upgrade to 34 turbo sti pink injectors walbro fuel pump and maybe front mount but with a frount mount youll have tremedous lag which sucks on a 2.0 injen and really worth it unless your shooting into green turbo rage which is around 350whp were your car is very close to overheating with any top mount because of its position over the motor and since stock internals are not the greatest it is always safe to keep ypur injen as cool as possible which will help from going kaboom or melting internals from heat
beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 10:28 PM   #12
Red Rexx
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 67187
Join Date: Jul 2004
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Addison, IL
Vehicle:
2004 STi
WRB

Default

Interesting...Protune is sounding promising...
Red Rexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 10:48 PM   #13
J-Rex2004
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 68490
Join Date: Aug 2004
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Spring
Vehicle:
'04 tippin' on
fo'fo jackstands.

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by beast
i had my sliver 2005 wrx with headers short ram intake cat back exhaust uppipe down pipe an it was fast as **** with headers top end pulled so much harder you could easily tell the difference without all on stage 2 cobb if you want to spend the money on a protune i would first upgrade to 34 turbo sti pink injectors walbro fuel pump and maybe front mount but with a frount mount youll have tremedous lag which sucks on a 2.0 injen and really worth it unless your shooting into green turbo rage which is around 350whp were your car is very close to overheating with any top mount because of its position over the motor and since stock internals are not the greatest it is always safe to keep ypur injen as cool as possible which will help from going kaboom or melting internals from heat
Is it really that hard to hit the period key?
J-Rex2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 12:11 AM   #14
subeesteve25
Guest
 
Member#:
Default

^^^^^^^ No S--t, lmao. I didn't know first graders drove WRX's.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cobb Stage 2 map with these parts? WRBlueberry Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain 9 04-29-2010 07:07 AM
Cobb AP 1 - stage 2 map with my mods? Ultimateone AccessPort 3 12-09-2007 01:56 PM
Can a SPT intake cause issues with an OTS stage 2 map? "B" Engine Management & Tuning 1 05-02-2007 11:43 PM
who is running stage 2 map with aftermarket headers? Mr. SUAVE AccessPort 4 06-07-2006 09:59 PM
Is it safe to use no muffler with a Cobb Stage 2 Map? caterpill Engine Management & Tuning 5 01-24-2006 03:27 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.