Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday May 5, 2015
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Engine Management & Tuning

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 11-22-2005, 08:01 AM   #1
riggs
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 85389
Default 06 WRX, how much boost can be run on pump gas?

Hey Guys,

I am brand new to the Subaru's, and look forward to building our new project car.....www.undergroundmotorsports.com

How much boost can I run on the stock turbo? What does the Cobb AP Stage II setup run boost wise?

I have just ordered a Megan exhaust/downpipe setup and need to get the car tuned next week....

ECUtek or Cobb? Could anybody guide me on the major differences...

Sorry for all the questions, but I would rather buy the right parts the first time.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
riggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 08:18 AM   #2
Davenow
Scooby Guru

Member#: 23676
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:

17PSI is about the highest I would go on straight pump. AP stage 2 is 17ish psi.

ECUtek and ap are the same thing. Just reflashes. The ap can be removed by you. With either if you decide you want a mod that should be tuned for, you are screwed and end up paying for custom dyno work (which isnt necessarilly a bad thing) but with the AP you can buy the street tuner software and do it yourself IF you really know what you are doing (the street tuner is very comprehensive, and as such is very complicated). As far as the base maps that the non custom tuned reflashes come with, I have seen the best results on Vishnu ecuteks consistantly.
Or go UTEC, which is powerful enough for 99.5% of the people out there, no less safe, and much easier to learn to tune yourself. Although, again, custom dyno work isnt a bad idea if you dont really know what you are doing.

That about as clear as mud?
Davenow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 08:22 AM   #3
riggs
Scooby Newbie

Appreciate the reply....

Also, why do people tend to keep the factory intake system?

Coming from a Toyota Supra/ RB26DETT 240SX background, that would have been one of the first mods I did...
Old 11-22-2005, 08:38 AM   #4
Unabomber
Big Ron

Member#: 18062
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
on car parts so PM
me b4 j00 buy

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...hreadid=533787

This link will bring you up to speed. Thank God you have an open minded attitude as what works for XXX might not work for a Subaru. Happy modding!
Unabomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 09:01 AM   #5
riggs
Scooby Newbie

I'm leaning towards the Cobb AP and will probably just buy the Street Tuner software and tune it myself...

Last edited by riggs; 11-22-2005 at 09:12 AM.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:38 AM   #6
tortuga
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 99173
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
2015 Subaru WRX STI
Silver

I have just completed my Stage 2 install and I am very pleased with the results. I haven't had a chance to log any data but from what I can tell, the car pulls a lot more in the lower RPMs.
tortuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 06:27 PM   #7
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru

Member#: 16200
Vehicle:
OK buy Nates beans
westcoastroasting.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by riggs
I'm leaning towards the Cobb AP and will probably just buy the Street Tuner software and tune it myself...
^^^^^^
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 10:34 PM   #8
Davenow
Scooby Guru

Member#: 23676
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:

Quote:
Appreciate the reply....

Also, why do people tend to keep the factory intake system?

Coming from a Toyota Supra/ RB26DETT 240SX background, that would have been one of the first mods I did...

Basically because the factory intake flows enough to not be any real kind of restriction. Combine that with a VERY finiky MAF sensor, and you end up with a car that stand a good chance or gaining nothing, or losing power from an intake.

Although STIs respond pretty well to them
Davenow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 11:08 PM   #9
riggs
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davenow
Basically because the factory intake flows enough to not be any real kind of restriction. Combine that with a VERY finiky MAF sensor, and you end up with a car that stand a good chance or gaining nothing, or losing power from an intake.

Although STIs respond pretty well to them
Ive been told this was a problem with the 02-03's only...

There have been very cars that I've seen that performed worse after changing to aftermarket air filters....
Old 11-23-2005, 08:31 AM   #10
Noize
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 18123
Vehicle:
2013 Evolution X GSR

Quote:
Ive been told this was a problem with the 02-03's only...

There have been very cars that I've seen that performed worse after changing to aftermarket air filters....
In lots of the bolt on cars we've dynoed, I've rarely if ever seen an intake make power on Subies/Evos. More often than not, they lose power.
Noize is offline   Reply With Quote