Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday December 20, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Service & Maintenance

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 11-22-2005, 05:10 PM   #1
Dorkfish
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 7971
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Vehicle:
2000 2.5RS
Blue Ridge Pearl

Default Hopefully quick question: 100,000 miles and the CE light

OK, so I have a LOT of stuff going wrong with my car right now and I am waiting for it to grenade itself.

The biggest worry is the coolant leak that appears to be coming from the head gasket... Very sad.

Anyway, I go to lunch today and on our way out the Check Engine light comes on. I realized when I was coming back from lunch that I just resently hit 100,000 miles. I check the milage and I am now at 100,514 miles.

Here comes the question:
Is there a maintanence check engine light that comes on right at 100,500 miles?

-Fish
2000 2.5RS
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Dorkfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 05:18 PM   #2
Mulder
Trust no one

Member#: 11170
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
02 WRX
15 WRX/05 GTO

No, there is no maintenance light. Go find an Autozone, and they will do a free scan for you. Get the code, in Pxxxx format, and search the forums for info on that code. Chances are you will find all you need to fix the problem. If you don't, then post the code here for more help.
FYI if you are in CA Autozone may not do the free scan, however I believe they will allow you to borrow the scanner and do it yourself.
Mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 05:55 PM   #3
Dorkfish
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2000 2.5RS
Blue Ridge Pearl

That is my plan to goto checker actually and borrow their scanner tonight on my way home from work. I was praying that there was a maintanence code because I have a feeling the code is a catalist under efficiency again and I need to get my car emissions tested before the end of Nov. and having a catalyst under efficiency is definitaly going to fail my emissions test. Guess I'll clear the code and hope it doesn't come back before emissions.

-Fish
Old 11-22-2005, 06:01 PM   #4
Mulder
Trust no one

Vehicle:
02 WRX
15 WRX/05 GTO

Do you have tailpipe testing or OBDII-scan testing? If it's the OBDII scan, do NOT clear the code and go for the test right away, the readiness tests will not be complete and you will fail. The car needs to be driven through several cycles and a certain amount of highway driving before the tests will be set.
Old 11-22-2005, 06:05 PM   #5
Dorkfish
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2000 2.5RS
Blue Ridge Pearl

OBDII scan testing... Good thing you mentioned it. I forgot that when you clear a code it stays in the history for a while, but I can't remember how long you have to drive it before it recalculates the emissions standards.

Well, this kind of sucks. I guess I just have to pray that I can get it to pass. It looks like I maybe putting $1000 in all kinds of stuff to my car soon... Might as well add something else to it.
Old 11-22-2005, 06:21 PM   #6
Mulder
Trust no one

Vehicle:
02 WRX
15 WRX/05 GTO

It's not the code, once you clear it it's gone, it's the OBDII readiness monitors you need to be concerned about. When the "clear codes" function is executed the monitors are reset and need to begin running their tests again from the beginning, and this will take some time to complete. How long it actually takes depends on how far you drive and whether it's city or highway driving. Generally you can expect it to take at least a few days and a few hundred miles.
Unfortunately by the time the monitors are set the code may then come back (but this is how the OBDII system is designed).
Anyway, assuming your state's OBDII requirements are similar to what we have in NY, in order to pass you need a functional CEL (goes on with key in "run" position, off when engine started), no CEL with engine running, no stored codes, and readiness monitors completed. You may be allowed to have one or two of the monitors not set and still pass if the other requirements are met.
It is a good idea to have a shop or a friend with a scanner do a "pre-scan" for you before actually going for the inspection to see if the monitors are set or not. In NY, and probably elsewhere, you will be charged for the inspection pass or fail, and then have to pay again for the reinspection.
Old 11-22-2005, 07:22 PM   #7
Dorkfish
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2000 2.5RS
Blue Ridge Pearl

In AZ it is kind of nice, you get 1 free rescan.

I actually had a buddy that went through emissions 4 times with his bike. He dropped a bunch of money into it to get it to pass (it did have problems) the last time it failed he took it back to the shop, and told them it failed. The guys at the shop took one look at the failing test and laughed and told him to take it back and have it tested as a motorcycle, not a car... funny story

Anyway, yeah I realize the tests need to get recalculated after clearing the code. If it does come back I will probably get pretty pissed. I have had a Cat replaced at 70,000 miles and now will probably have to put another cat on at 100,000. That makes me a sad panda.

-Fish
Old 11-23-2005, 04:16 PM   #8
Dorkfish
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2000 2.5RS
Blue Ridge Pearl

Good news on this, the CEL code was an O2 sensor. Bad news is I need to get the O2 sensor fixed before I can get my emissions done . Oh well.
Old 11-28-2005, 11:08 AM   #9
Dorkfish
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2000 2.5RS
Blue Ridge Pearl

Even more good news. The CEL turned off this morning. I guess whatever gunked up the O2 sensor cleared itself off . Probably from the cold start this morning.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:12 PM   #10
Mulder
Trust no one

Vehicle:
02 WRX
15 WRX/05 GTO

The CEL turning off just means the problem that set the code has not been detected for a few drive cycles. It doesn't necessarily mean that all is well or that the problem has gone away forever. Also the code is still in memory so if you went for inspection even with the CEL off you'd still fail (assuming the requirements for OBDII in your state are similar to NY).