Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday July 29, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Tribeca Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 10-15-2013, 07:18 PM   #1
goregasm
*** Banned ***

Member#: 331656
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i
Marine Blue Pearl

Default What is the tribeca for?

Why does Subaru sell a $35,000 SUV? What's the purpose of it over a forester or outback?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
goregasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:20 AM   #2
ALTribeca
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 338766
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2013 Tribeca
Silver

7 passenger - or more realistically a place to put two kids in the very back, and adults for *very* short jaunts.

We have a SH-Forester (XT), and I cross-shopped the 2013 Outback at the same time we looked at the Tribeca: we needed the extra passenger capability. This past week was a good example - we went on a family vacation and packed the Tribeca to the gills, including a Yakima SkyBox16 up on top. Once we got to the resort destination, I took the dog's crate out from the trunk and unstrapped the dog's car-mat over the left rear seat, and we then had the ability to also ferry my in-laws with us to various activities, without the need for a second vehicle.

It's an aged design both mechanically as well as functionally, but it does fit a very small population of us Subaru die-hards in a way that no other current Subaru vehicle can. I know I'm not the only one who laments how dated this vehicle is, in its current iteration, and hope for a much more with-the-times update the next time around.

As for the pricing?

With incentives, it's actually not insignificantly cheaper than a comparably equipped Outback 3.6R, which was the vehicle I specifically cross-shopped.
ALTribeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:51 AM   #3
Sub!eDr!ver
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 88924
Vehicle:
2007 Tribeca Limited
05 LGT (98 LGT, 88 Justy)

I also bought mine for its 7-passenger capabilities. My kids will eventually get too big for the back seat, but Subaru will hopefully have a bigger option soon.

...and it's so much better than the Outback (to me).
Sub!eDr!ver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 12:04 PM   #4
ALTribeca
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 Tribeca
Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub!eDr!ver View Post
I also bought mine for its 7-passenger capabilities. My kids will eventually get too big for the back seat, but Subaru will hopefully have a bigger option soon.
I'd definitely like a "true" 7-passenger as well.

Not just for the increased 3rd row passenger space - which this vehicle does need - but also for the increase in cargo volume.

Packing for a week away for just a three-person family (OK, I brought along a dinner jacket and some slacks and shirts, but otherwise, I'm a jeans and a T kind of guy; my wife isn't much worse than that, too, actually), we were literally loaded to the gills. I didn't take down the dog's (we have a medium-sized Goldendoodle) crate as it cleared rear sightlines through the hatch without problems, but its inside was completely stuffed with his bedding, toys, and other family goods.

I rented a GMC Acadia earlier this year, when we flew to our summer destination. I'd like to have that amount of cargo/people-carrying capability.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:40 PM   #5
Sub!eDr!ver
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2007 Tribeca Limited

I wholeheartedly agree on having extra cargo space. A couple years ago I bought a Hitch-Haul cargo carrier, and got a waterproof bag to go on it - that carries my overflow luggage. On a recent trip, I had all seats full, so I bought a car-top carrier (in addition to the Hitch-Haul). That was enough cargo space for that trip, with even a bit of space left over.

Hitch-Haul link: http://www.masterbuilt.com/index.php...o-carrier.html
I know there are better ones, but I had a limited budget at the time & went on the cheap end. It works for both 1.25" and 2" receivers.

My brother has a Chevy Suburban - those things are big inside. Plenty of space behind the seats for stuff, and roomy seats too.
Old 10-16-2013, 02:05 PM   #6
ALTribeca
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 Tribeca
Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub!eDr!ver View Post
I wholeheartedly agree on having extra cargo space. A couple years ago I bought a Hitch-Haul cargo carrier, and got a waterproof bag to go on it - that carries my overflow luggage. On a recent trip, I had all seats full, so I bought a car-top carrier (in addition to the Hitch-Haul). That was enough cargo space for that trip, with even a bit of space left over.

Hitch-Haul link: http://www.masterbuilt.com/index.php...o-carrier.html
I know there are better ones, but I had a limited budget at the time & went on the cheap end. It works for both 1.25" and 2" receivers.
Thanks for the tip! Hopefully I won't need one of those, too! I sweat it out enough packing the car this time!

Quote:
My brother has a Chevy Suburban - those things are big inside. Plenty of space behind the seats for stuff, and roomy seats too.
A few of the other parents in our daughter's class have Suburbans/Denalis/Escalades, and yep, those are HUGE!!!!

The part of this compromise for me, though, is that I want the vehicle to still have decent pep for highway on-ramps and the like. The Tribeca is no Stage II STI, but it still holds its own in its market segment and isn't a total slug.

Looking at larger options, it just seems that I'm dropping out of Warp , as I'm coming from a Stage II+ 5MT '05 LGT.
Old 10-16-2013, 02:44 PM   #7
Sub!eDr!ver
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2007 Tribeca Limited

Hopefully the next-gen Tribeca (or whatever they call it) will be larger, with good, usable space, and, due to the expected extra heft, have a more powerful 3.6 (maybe DIT or at least DI) with the new high-torque CVT.

The rumors back when the 3.6 first came out was that it could easily be built to put out 300+ hp & torque, but Subaru didn't have a transmission that could handle that.

Now they do. Make it a direct-injected 3.6 and we can have increased power & increased economy (due to DI), plus better performance and economy due to the CVT.

With rear seats that can handle adults (and maybe seat 8), that would be a really appealing vehicle.
Old 10-16-2013, 05:31 PM   #8
ALTribeca
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 Tribeca
Silver

^ That I'll take, right now.

With those critical stats, even if the interior amenities are still as dated as they are now, I'd still eagerly put my name on the dotted line.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:47 AM   #9
Sub!eDr!ver
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2007 Tribeca Limited

I've often felt that if they could just take the existing vehicle and stretch it in all dimensions by 10% (keeping the look and size ratios the same), they would have a winner.

The overall look of the exterior still looks good. The interior could use some minor tweaks, and it needs a seriously upgraded stereo system, but it's still serviceable.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:45 AM   #10
ALTribeca
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 Tribeca
Silver

^ Agreed.

The exterior look is handsome, if undistinguished. It'll certainly work for the masses that found the B9 design too polarizing. Similarly, the interior can soldier on if they'd just update amenities to actually be this decade, instead of the last, at least match that of the rest of the lineup. I'd like to see some materials improvement, too, but it's nothing I can't get over, as long as its priced right.

And as long as they give us just a bit more power to go with the increased dimensions and weight.