Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday August 20, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Service & Maintenance

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 12-03-2005, 07:28 PM   #1
srt4eh
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 100433
Vehicle:
2006 SRT-8 Jeep
Silver

Default car won't start....and I'm an idiot

ok....so - I own an 03 SRT-4 and know everything about it...but when it comes to my other car I know nothing. here we go...

I have a 93 Impreza L 4-door sedan. 5-speed. (1.8L) It has 140k miles on it. I replaced the plugs, plug wires, air filter, and gave it an oil change. It doesn't like to start the first time I try it. It usually grabs the 2nd or 3rd time. Now that its gotten colder - it doesn't really wanna start at all. I can get it but not until after I've been messing with it for about 5 minutes. Once it gets started its fine - I can drive and turn it off...it'll start immediately. But if I wait a couple hours it'll be hard again. I have a CEL - I'm trying to figure out how to read it now. The alternator, battery, and starter are fine. I'm going to clean the Idle Air Control Valve or whatever its called to see if that helps. Could this be a fuel pump issue?

Thanks
Eddie
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
srt4eh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 07:43 PM   #2
Mulder
Trust no one

Member#: 11170
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
02 WRX
15 WRX/05 GTO

In this thread you'll find out how to read codes on older OBDI Subarus-
http://www.troublecodes.net/Subaru/
Get the code FIRST, before you start pulling things apart.
A bad coolant temp sensor is a common cause of hard starting on these, but don't assume that is the problem until you read the code.
Mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 07:46 PM   #3
srt4eh
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 SRT-8 Jeep
Silver

yeah - i found that code site....not sure what they mean by the connectors. Do I just plug them together? On Neons you just have to switch the key on and off....I'm not quite getting the connector thing. Perhaps I'll just go and mess around and see what happens
Old 12-03-2005, 11:45 PM   #4
Ramon_12345
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 72021
Vehicle:
1999 JDM GC1 IMPREZA
WHITE

Beneath the steering column you should see two black connectors and two green connectors. With the ignition OFF and the KEY OUT, connect the two black connectors together and then turn the ignition on (do not start the car), the "CHECK ENGINE" light will flash the trouble codes at you, just record them and start troubleshooting afterwards.
For additional help, you can post the code number on this thread when you get it.
Good luck
Ramon_12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 01:50 AM   #5
srt4eh
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 SRT-8 Jeep
Silver

ok - that clears it up. thanks....ill try it in the morning.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:33 AM   #6
andrewjohnson
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 101632

I have a 5-speed 95 Impreza 2.2L that had a similar problem, it would randomly start and then it wouldn't and so on. Everyone said that it wasn't the starter. I did everything, cleaned the battery corrosion, checked the ignition relay fuse, and felt for any bad connections, finally I pulled the starter out and had it tested. It worked, so i put it back in and it started right up. A week later the same problem came back to haunt me. I took it out again and installed a new one and 3 months later it is still working. I think it was a bad spot in the cellinoid, sometimes it would stick and sometimes not, almost undetectable unless the thing decides to go caput right before you test it. Copper is very temperature sensitive.
hope this helps.
andrewjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 04:08 AM   #7
HndaTch627
Scooby Guru

Member#: 6551
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
'01 GC8 Dinged STM
'09 Concours 14 ABS Black

chances are with it getting colder it's the coolant temp sensor. I had the same issue with my fiances car and just replaced the sensor. Also make sure you run some good injector cleaner thru the car. I know in the chicago/milwaukee areas this is when we start seeing injectors with tips waxing. i know one of mine already tried to clog
HndaTch627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 06:50 PM   #8
srt4eh
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 SRT-8 Jeep
Silver

thanks y'all. its been too cold and i've been lazy to try and mess with the car. but now that my srt4 is broken again...looks like I have no choice.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:05 AM   #9
HndaTch627
Scooby Guru

Member#: 6551
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
'01 GC8 Dinged STM
'09 Concours 14 ABS Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by srt4eh
now that my srt4 is broken again
you bought a mopar...shame on you

my boss just had his wifes new 2001 prelude painted the yellow off the SRT-4.

he's a huge mopar man himself but works for a Honda dealer, go figure
HndaTch627 is offline   Reply With Quote