Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday August 5, 2015
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Impreza Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 04-08-2015, 11:40 AM   #1
darederek
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 400816
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2015 Impreza 5MT
Ice Silver Metallic

Default Starlink Thread

I know there aren't a ton of '15 owners on here yet, but I wanted to start a thread for experiences with starlink.

First of all, I am interested if updates exist for this system that the dealer could install. I will post my version number later tonight.

Second, I have the base radio, and am interested in the possibility of upgrading to the larger nav radio. I wanted a 5 speed and the better radio wasn't an option.

Third, subaru is on the list of manufacturers for android auto and apple CarPlay. They plan to add it along with 4g to 2016+ models.
Over on the outback forum, people have been emailing subaru pressuring them to provide an upgrade avenue for current starlink owners. Apparently in 2013 outback owners without starlink could update for $100. Many of them have received an email saying that it might be possible, and the more emails they receive the better the chance of it becoming a priority to them.

It may not happen, but I think it's worth the time to send an email.
darederek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2015, 12:35 PM   #2
TrickNipple
moon moon

Member#: 86213
Chapter/Region: NWIC

You can update with a USB thumb drive, I think. Go to settings and then software or firmware version and it will display your information and allow you to update.

I did a factory reset on mine this morning and it's working a lot better than before.
TrickNipple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 05:00 PM   #3
AnthonyArmato
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 415014
Vehicle:
2015 Impreza
White Pearl

I've been wondering the same thing as far as updates go. It does need to load an update from USB but I don't know where you'd download an update to apply to the system.
AnthonyArmato is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 07:34 PM   #4
darederek
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2015 Impreza 5MT
Ice Silver Metallic

that is what my settings screen says. Anyone have newer software?
Old 04-08-2015, 08:01 PM   #5
TrickNipple
moon moon

The factory reset only made it work well once. Started the car up after work and it errored again
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20150408_165848.jpg (55.7 KB, 365 views)
Old 04-08-2015, 08:12 PM   #6
darederek
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2015 Impreza 5MT
Ice Silver Metallic

Just noticed, the model of the radio in the bottom left is different? do you have the bigger radio with xm?

if not, i need to figure out where to find the update.

also, I wish i could help you with your issues, but i haven't had to troubleshoot. Mine just works. Are you iphone or android?
Old 04-08-2015, 08:22 PM   #7
TrickNipple
moon moon

Mine is the non-nav unit. I have an android phone, tried two different ones. I will try my girlfriend's iPhone tonight though. I guess I'll be taking it to the dealership.
Old 04-08-2015, 08:29 PM   #8
darederek
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2015 Impreza 5MT
Ice Silver Metallic

ok. weird that they are different model numbers.

mine was delivered to the dealer on 12/18/14
Old 04-08-2015, 09:10 PM   #9
OggySoggy
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 414432

Just got my '15 sport limited last night (ordered on Feb 13th), and I just installed the StarLink app on my galaxy 5, but I havent had a chance to play with yet.

I am actually more interested in mirrorlink, but that, apparently, is a whole 'nother can of worms...

Last edited by OggySoggy; 04-08-2015 at 09:20 PM.
OggySoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 09:30 PM   #10
AnthonyArmato
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 415014
Vehicle:
2015 Impreza
White Pearl

I have version .029 on mine also.
AnthonyArmato is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 09:32 PM   #11
darederek
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2015 Impreza 5MT
Ice Silver Metallic

i wonder if i call subaru i can get the update file or if i have to go to the dealer?
Old 04-08-2015, 11:38 PM   #12
TrickNipple
moon moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by darederek View Post
ok. weird that they are different model numbers.

mine was delivered to the dealer on 12/18/14
Mine was delivered on January 22.

I tried it with the iphone, no problem connecting at all.
Old 04-09-2015, 08:27 AM   #13
luke14prem
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 405633
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2015 Premium 4 dr
Dark Gray

Ive had issues connecting my ipod via the usb. The system sometimes freezes up and has to restart regardless if its on the ipod display. The dealer service rep said its no big deal. Just my ipod trying to figure out the connection. My ipod is a 7th gen nano. My ipod has bever given me problems before this. I have no issues with bluetooth though.
luke14prem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 11:50 AM   #14
strakosko
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 418220

We recently got Canadian 2015 Outback Touring with this nonNav unit:

Software: Ver.098
Unit Code: PF3547IA
Serial Number: 00003586
Confirmation code: 0E7D
strakosko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 08:25 PM   #15
CVT-FB20
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 389102
Vehicle:
2014 Impreza Sport
Quartz Blue Pearl

Anyone want to teach me how to remove this head unit from the dash?
CVT-FB20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 10:26 AM   #16
yeah_sure_youbetcha
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 418455
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2015 Impreza Sport
That perty white

Default windows phone?

So I hate being "that guy," but any chance for windows phone support in the future? I don't know if I'd use starlink anyhow, but who knows.
yeah_sure_youbetcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 02:19 PM   #17
schmidtbag
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 410416
Vehicle:
2015 Impreza 2.0i M5
red

I can't remember off the top of my head but I think my system is 0.34, and the car was manufactured in March 2015.

From what I heard, these things are Linux based. As an extensive Linux user, I wouldn't mind attempting to modify these but:
1. I don't want that voiding my warranty, and I prefer not to mess with my own system.
2. I don't know how to get it out of my dashboard
3. I don't know anything about the hardware that runs it (I'm sure it's based on ARM or MIPS)
4. Assuming none of the above is a problem, I have to either be able to remove the internal storage, or, be able to use the firmware update tool to my advantage.

Not that there's a whole lot I care to change about the system, but maybe giving it some ODBII access or flash drive video playback would be nice.

Last edited by schmidtbag; 05-07-2015 at 10:24 PM.
schmidtbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 05:19 PM   #18
darederek
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2015 Impreza 5MT
Ice Silver Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidtbag View Post
I can't remember off the top of my head but I think my system is 0.34, and the car was manufactured in March 2015.

From what I heard, these things are Linux based. As an extensive Linux user, I wouldn't mind attempting to modify these but:
1. I don't want that voiding my warranty, and I prefer not to mess with my own system.
2. I don't know how to get it out of my dashboard
3. I don't know anything about the hardware that runs it (I'm sure it's based on ARM or MIPS)
4. Assuming none of the above is a problem, I have to either be able to remove the internal storage, or, be able to use the firmware update tool to my advantage.

Not that there's a whole lot I care to change about the system, but maybe giving it some ODBII access or flash drive video playback would be nice.

That would be awesome.
Old 05-17-2015, 02:32 PM   #19
OggySoggy
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 414432

Awhile back, I read somewhere that a firmware update for the navigation head unit might be coming soon (this month?). Has anyone else heard anything like that?

I received an email last week saying that Stitcher was added to StarLink, but I would really like to see an update to fix Mirrorlink and the way bluetooth audio function sometimes stops updating artists names, song titles and album art.
OggySoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 10:07 AM   #20
Soobie_Noobie
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 421378
Vehicle:
2015 Impreza Sport
Crystal White Silica

How do we check to see if there's an update? Just toggle through the settings?
Soobie_Noobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 10:12 AM   #21
schmidtbag
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2015 Impreza 2.0i M5
red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soobie_Noobie View Post
How do we check to see if there's an update? Just toggle through the settings?
No, the settings requires you to plug in a flash drive with the firmware update. That being said, I too would like to know how we find out when one is available.
Old 05-20-2015, 08:10 PM   #22
ineverwenttoprom
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 421510

Hey guys, just got my first Subaru (Impreza premium 5-door)last weekend, and I love it! Starlink....... not so much. Ive got a iPhone 6 plus that works great bluetooth, but Starlink is soo slow! Not only that, within 10 minutes of connecting it via usb my phone got stuck in a loop (something that has NEVER happened with it before).

And its a lot of work just to do something that BT does better. Im hoping that since its such a new feature they are going to iron out the kinks and make it run smoothly and add better functionality, only time will tell.

Other than that is a cool little head unit but I hope it gets better, it has potential (especially now being a standard feature).

P.S. Does anyone else have problems with loosing the HD Radio signal? Im able to use the multicast/song and artist information maybe 50% of the time.
ineverwenttoprom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 08:40 PM   #23
luke14prem
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 405633
Vehicle:
2015 Premium 4 dr
Dark Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by ineverwenttoprom View Post
Hey guys, just got my first Subaru (Impreza premium 5-door)last weekend, and I love it! Starlink....... not so much. Ive got a iPhone 6 plus that works great bluetooth, but Starlink is soo slow! Not only that, within 10 minutes of connecting it via usb my phone got stuck in a loop (something that has NEVER happened with it before).

And its a lot of work just to do something that BT does better. Im hoping that since its such a new feature they are going to iron out the kinks and make it run smoothly and add better functionality, only time will tell.

Other than that is a cool little head unit but I hope it gets better, it has potential (especially now being a standard feature).

P.S. Does anyone else have problems with loosing the HD Radio signal? Im able to use the multicast/song and artist information maybe 50% of the time.
Yeah, I turned my HD off because a few of my stations would go in and out so much.
luke14prem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 08:45 PM   #24
schmidtbag
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2015 Impreza 2.0i M5
red

Quote:
Originally Posted by ineverwenttoprom View Post
I personally use android, and even though I have the starlink app, I don't use it. I downloaded it because apparently you need it in order to transfer your contacts to the car (I'm not entirely sure if this is true) but otherwise I don't really see a reason for it. You can still access your offline content through bluetooth without starlink and everything runs smooth. If you want to use any apps, I'd suggest just running them through the phone itself and use the aux connection. Less convenient but at least it works.

Quote:
Yeah sometimes. HD radio to my knowledge is entirely digital, and though digital data can be higher quality and can contain more info (such as album cover art) it's bad at handling poor link quality. The problem is with digital, it's "all or nothing", so if 1 byte is corrupt, the whole data packet could be lost. That byte might only be a few milliseconds of a song; something you wouldn't even notice on analog radio. Analog doesn't require any logical processing to listen to it.

I'm not sure where you're from but where I'm from, many radio stations have an analog and a HD broadcast that play the same thing, so if the HD broadcast is getting corrupt you can still hear the song (in lower quality). Many of these radio stations also have sub-stations, but none of the sub-stations have an analog equivalent, so when you get out of range, these sub-stations get really annoying really fast. Aside from tearing down buildings or getting a better antenna, I don't think there's anything you can do about it.
Old 05-20-2015, 10:12 PM   #25
ineverwenttoprom
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 421510

Quote:
Yeah, I turned my HD off because a few of my stations would go in and out so much.
I feel like I'm going to get to that point soon

Quote:
I personally use android, and even though I have the starlink app, I don't use it. I downloaded it because apparently you need it in order to transfer your contacts to the car (I'm not entirely sure if this is true) but otherwise I don't really see a reason for it. You can still access your offline content through bluetooth without starlink and everything runs smooth. If you want to use any apps, I'd suggest just running them through the phone itself and use the aux connection. Less convenient but at least it works.
I don't know how it is with android, but i was able to download contacts on fine without the app through BT But I agree that BT is the way to go for anything on the radio.

Quote:
Yeah sometimes. HD radio to my knowledge is entirely digital, and though digital data can be higher quality and can contain more info (such as album cover art) it's bad at handling poor link quality. The problem is with digital, it's "all or nothing", so if 1 byte is corrupt, the whole data packet could be lost. That byte might only be a few milliseconds of a song; something you wouldn't even notice on analog radio. Analog doesn't require any logical processing to listen to it.

I'm not sure where you're from but where I'm from, many radio stations have an analog and a HD broadcast that play the same thing, so if the HD broadcast is getting corrupt you can still hear the song (in lower quality). Many of these radio stations also have sub-stations, but none of the sub-stations have an analog equivalent, so when you get out of range, these sub-stations get really annoying really fast. Aside from tearing down buildings or getting a better antenna, I don't think there's anything you can do about it.
Im in the Orange County/LA area. its a bummer cause there were some pretty cool substations but they would cut out constantly depending on where I was making it not listenable.
ineverwenttoprom is offline   Reply With Quote