Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday August 28, 2016
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Motorsports

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2005, 12:44 PM   #1
Scooby921
Merci Buckets
Moderator
 
Member#: 88606
Join Date: Jun 2005
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Clarkston
Vehicle:
2016 Cayman GTS
Dark Blue Metallic

Default Need suggestions on seat and harness

Since buying my car back in June I've been slowly prepping for Solo2 STX. I did manage to run the season ender here in the Detroit Region and did quite well. And so I've decided to go even further and see if I can manage to win an event.

After that one event sliding across the seat and almost across the car, I figured that a harness was going to be necessary. I've also noticed that the newer subaru seats aren't the best design for a harness...belts come through right behind your head and aren't spaced apart properly.

Anyway, I've been looking at different seats and different harnesses trying to figure out what to buy. I'm pretty much lost on this one. I don't know if I should go for a 4-point bolt in or if I should get on of the cheaper 3-point double buckle systems. I also don't know what seats are worth buying. I've been looking at the Sparco Torino for its price and usefulness, but the Evo is a much lighter seat. The big problem is that there aren't many locals with racing seats, and none of the local shops have any in stock that I can sit in and try out.

I would like to get a seat that holds me a lot better and a harness system well suited for autocrossing, but I don't want a setup that is not comfortable for use in a daily driver and basically renders the back seat useless.

For reference, I'm 5'11" 220lbs. I sit an average distance from the wheel with my seat upright (not trying to be ghetto and hide from bullets behind the b-pillar).

I'd appreciate it if you guys and gals could give me some suggestions. It would be especially helpful if any of you were of a comparable size and in a similar position (racing the daily driver).

Thanks in advance,
Brad
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Scooby921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:52 PM   #2
pio!pio!
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 4190
Join Date: Feb 2001
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: San Jose, CA
Vehicle:
2008 Impreza WRX STi
Aspen White

Default

I would go for a Sparco Pro2000 + a 6 pt harness

off topic a little: I've seen G-force advertise a 7 pt harness....where does that 7th go??????
pio!pio! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 01:02 PM   #3
Scooby Freak
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 40751
Join Date: Jul 2003
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Springfield
Vehicle:
'94 SER

Default

Isn't a 6 pt. a little overkill for autocrossing?

I've used a three point w/ double buckle for a couple years. It is easy to tuck away when you need the backseat. Passing the belts through the hole in the seat works fine. And you can retains the stock seatbelts for the street.

edit:
I know you are asking about seats, but I think the harness is a good inexpensive compromise. I'm getting an EVO 2 next season, but my subaru is no longer a daily driver. The EVO 2 will have more hip room than the EVO.

Last edited by Scooby Freak; 12-15-2005 at 01:09 PM.
Scooby Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 01:10 PM   #4
joltdudeuc
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 6119
Join Date: Apr 2001
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Union City, CA
Vehicle:
1999 GM6
RBP

Default

http://www.soloracer.com/rallye4.html

best thing I ever did to help me become a faster driver. It made the course slowdown for me, and I really learned the racing line of the courses.

This is cheap, it bolts in, it retains the use of rear seat when needed by simply detaching from the front portion. I actually just sit on the harness when i'm driving daily using my regular seatbelt. I doesn't bother me at all, most of the time, I can't even feel it.

-Gagan

PS: No comment on a seat. I don't have any experience with buying racing seats. I believe that you can't run a solid back race seat in STX though. It has to be a reclinable seat I believe.
joltdudeuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 01:23 PM   #5
grippgoat
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 62182
Join Date: May 2004
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Kirkland, WA
Vehicle:
2005 STI
White

Default

For race shells, Sparco Evo 2 and Recaro Pole Position are good choices. There's a new recaro that I forget the name of that's a bigger version of the Pole Position, as well. And I think they might have a Rev L now, too. But I've only tried the EVO2 and PP. Given your size and wanting to daily drive, anything not on the above list is probably not even worth looking at (from Recaro and Sparco, that is).

For reclining seats (what you probably want if you are daily driving it), I've got a Recaro Speed, and I like it, although it can get a bit uncomfortable about 2 hours into a road trip. I'm 6' 230lbs, though. The Sparco Torino is pretty nice. It has perhaps more agressive kidney bolstering, but much less agressive thigh bolstering.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and Speedware Motorsports is selling a limited re-release run of the Recaro SRD. It's almost identical to the speed, though.

-Mike
grippgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 01:55 PM   #6
PhilC
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 35190
Join Date: Apr 2003
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Cleveland, OH
Vehicle:
2003 WRX STX #77
www.soloracer.com

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pio!pio!
I would go for a Sparco Pro2000 + a 6 pt harness
If he's 5'11" and 220 chances are the Pro 2000 might be too narrow to be comfortable. I'm 6'0" and 190 with a 34" waist. The Pro 2000 is a comfortable but tight fit but those with larger than a 34" waist probably won't fit comfortably.
PhilC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 03:01 PM   #7
BlkWRXWag
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 31821
Join Date: Jan 2003
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: FRSport.com
Vehicle:
2015 DS WRX

Default

Scroth Rallye 4 + stock seats = fine.

If your car is not a daily driver, then I would add a seat. Most (but not all) aftermarket seats can be a pain on an everyday basis and you lose your airbag which may or may not be important to you.
BlkWRXWag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 03:35 PM   #8
Student Driver
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 65161
Join Date: Jun 2004
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: AZ
Vehicle:
2002 2.5RS, AW
I can taste teh suck

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkWRXWag
Scroth Rallye 4 + stock seats = fine.

If your car is not a daily driver, then I would add a seat. Most (but not all) aftermarket seats can be a pain on an everyday basis and you lose your airbag which may or may not be important to you.
Ditto what the other guys have written. I'm 6'1" and 270lbs, and the harness works great for me with the stock seat.
Student Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 03:44 PM   #9
WRX_Mundi
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 33270
Join Date: Feb 2003
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Boise, ID
Vehicle:
2004 STi
WR Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilC
If he's 5'11" and 220 chances are the Pro 2000 might be too narrow to be comfortable. I'm 6'0" and 190 with a 34" waist. The Pro 2000 is a comfortable but tight fit but those with larger than a 34" waist probably won't fit comfortably.
I guess I'll be finding out the hard way, as I just bought a used Pro 2000 to go in my STi (along with the existing Schroth 6-point harness). I'm 6'0, 190-205 pounds depending, and a 36" waist.

I have sat in a Sparco Evo and felt it was just about 1/8" too narrow (but other than that it was awesome). I've sat in someone else's (Sparco) Evo and it fit tight but not too tight. The Pro2000 is just a bit wider than the Evo, and sitting in it in the showroom and on my floor it seems to be big enough. But the proof will be in the 100-500 mile drives to events.

OK, a question since I haven't mounted it yet: do I want the sliders? I like to sit very close to the wheel, but don't normally adjust my seat unless I have a co-driver. I'm quite fine with telling some people they will have to live with the seat or just not drive my car, so that isn't a concern. They're only $50 and add a half-inch to the height, but I have the aluminum side brackets. I could put it in with the sliders, live with it for a while, then take them out later I suppose. They say they're only 3 pounds so I don't think I need to obsess over that yet.
WRX_Mundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 03:48 PM   #10
WRX_Mundi
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 33270
Join Date: Feb 2003
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Boise, ID
Vehicle:
2004 STi
WR Blue

Default

Oh, and I agree with the others that if you're just concerned about staying put, try out a good harness first. With the Schroth 3" belt 6-point harness in the stock STi seat, I don't move at all. The race seat for me is about weight, some height lowering, and even more stay-put-ness. But just a harness will be a huge help (oh, and drive smooth too ).
WRX_Mundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 04:41 PM   #11
PhilC
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 35190
Join Date: Apr 2003
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Cleveland, OH
Vehicle:
2003 WRX STX #77
www.soloracer.com

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRX_Mundi
I guess I'll be finding out the hard way, as I just bought a used Pro 2000 to go in my STi (along with the existing Schroth 6-point harness). I'm 6'0, 190-205 pounds depending, and a 36" waist.

I have sat in a Sparco Evo and felt it was just about 1/8" too narrow (but other than that it was awesome). I've sat in someone else's (Sparco) Evo and it fit tight but not too tight. The Pro2000 is just a bit wider than the Evo, and sitting in it in the showroom and on my floor it seems to be big enough. But the proof will be in the 100-500 mile drives to events.

OK, a question since I haven't mounted it yet: do I want the sliders? I like to sit very close to the wheel, but don't normally adjust my seat unless I have a co-driver. I'm quite fine with telling some people they will have to live with the seat or just not drive my car, so that isn't a concern. They're only $50 and add a half-inch to the height, but I have the aluminum side brackets. I could put it in with the sliders, live with it for a while, then take them out later I suppose. They say they're only 3 pounds so I don't think I need to obsess over that yet.
If you've tried one on for size and you fit you should have no problems. I find the Pro 2000 to be very comfortable for long drives myself. I much prefer it to the stock seat for highway trips of 2 hours or so. Obviously each person is a different shape and will fit the seat differently.

We've got sliders, it makes getting in and out of the seat a lot easier. That said the sliders definitely have some play in them which I don't really like. If you grab the top of the seat you can wiggle it pretty good. Jason has Bride sliders I think and they don't have any give in them at all. I'm glad we have the extra 1/2" of height from teh sliders, ours are bottom mounted and not side mounted so height can't be changed.
PhilC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 04:45 PM   #12
BlkWRXWag
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 31821
Join Date: Jan 2003
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: FRSport.com
Vehicle:
2015 DS WRX

Default

Also remember that most aftermarket seats are not height adjustable (at least without uninstalling them). If you are 6ft 7in and date Bridget the Midget, this could be an issue.
BlkWRXWag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 07:04 PM   #13
pio!pio!
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 4190
Join Date: Feb 2001
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: San Jose, CA
Vehicle:
2008 Impreza WRX STi
Aspen White

Default

Im 6'2" 220 lbs...
pro2000 fits perfectly..! nice and snug but not too tight
the evo2's were a little too narrow and the pro2000 is just wide enough...plus I love the amount of leg bolster you get..you are totally snug in that seat
pio!pio! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 07:21 PM   #14
Butt Dyno
Street's closed, pizza boy
 
Member#: 17301
Join Date: Apr 2002
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Why do they always say the Evo
Vehicle:
is the "dark side"
06 Evo #7 STU, 03 IS300

Default

A lot of folks have been surprised that they will fit comfortably in the regular Evo. Definitely give that a shot.

I daily drive my Miata with an Evo, it's definitely comfortable enough for dual duty.

john
Butt Dyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 08:17 PM   #15
ewright
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 68803
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: AZ
Vehicle:
2004 WRX STi

Default

Scooby921,

Im a decent sized guy (6 ft, 195) and fit in both the Recaro Pole Position and Recaro Porsche GT3 seat very well. I find either of these seats to be great compromises between a track seat and something which is relatively easy to get in and out of. Regardless of what seat/harness combo you decide to get, Im sure you will be very pleased with how much more you can focus on your actual driving when being held securely in position.

Ernie
ewright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 08:35 PM   #16
REX8
*** Banned ***
 
Member#: 24038
Join Date: Sep 2002
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Godspeed Cale...
Default

Get some 02-03 seats. Much tighter fit. Work better with belts too....
REX8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 03:54 AM   #17
sperry
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 8636
Join Date: Jul 2001
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Portland, OR
Vehicle:
OBXT NA8-Miata F250
no more SVX or WRX :(

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pio!pio!
Im 6'2" 220 lbs...
pro2000 fits perfectly..! nice and snug but not too tight
the evo2's were a little too narrow and the pro2000 is just wide enough...plus I love the amount of leg bolster you get..you are totally snug in that seat
You're damn near the same size as me (I'm 6'4", 210) so it's reassuring to know that the Pro2000 is a good fit, as that's the one I was leaning towards.

Speedware has a nice measurement chart for Sparco seats BTW:

http://www.speedwaremotorsports.com/...o2000Pack.asp#

What's interesting is that the Evo/Evo2 actually has a wider hip dimension than the Pro2000, yet the Pro2000 is listed as a seat for medium to large people and the Evo/Evo2 seats are listed for medium only.
sperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 08:02 PM   #18
mykrrrr
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 733
Join Date: Jan 2000
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Squadra Delle Pecore Nere
Vehicle:
'16 Fiesta ST
Platinum white metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby921
Since buying my car back in June I've been slowly prepping for Solo2 STX. I did manage to run the season ender here in the Detroit Region and did quite well. And so I've decided to go even further and see if I can manage to win an event.

After that one event sliding across the seat and almost across the car, I figured that a harness was going to be necessary. I've also noticed that the newer subaru seats aren't the best design for a harness...belts come through right behind your head and aren't spaced apart properly.

Anyway, I've been looking at different seats and different harnesses trying to figure out what to buy. I'm pretty much lost on this one. I don't know if I should go for a 4-point bolt in or if I should get on of the cheaper 3-point double buckle systems. I also don't know what seats are worth buying. I've been looking at the Sparco Torino for its price and usefulness, but the Evo is a much lighter seat. The big problem is that there aren't many locals with racing seats, and none of the local shops have any in stock that I can sit in and try out.

I would like to get a seat that holds me a lot better and a harness system well suited for autocrossing, but I don't want a setup that is not comfortable for use in a daily driver and basically renders the back seat useless.

For reference, I'm 5'11" 220lbs. I sit an average distance from the wheel with my seat upright (not trying to be ghetto and hide from bullets behind the b-pillar).

I'd appreciate it if you guys and gals could give me some suggestions. It would be especially helpful if any of you were of a comparable size and in a similar position (racing the daily driver).

Thanks in advance,
Brad
Brad - I ran a Corbeau FX1 and it was a good fit for me. (5'9" 220ish)

I'd recommend going w/some sliders and side mounts (Corbeau moulds in both side and bottom mount bolts with the FX1) since you'll sit lower in the car. I raced w/a Corbeau bottom mount slider (made by Wedge Engineering) in my Civic and it was too tall for me. I felt too high and my helmet would hit the headliner if I didn't sorta slouch down.

For harnesses, I run a Schroth ProFi II 4 point. I love it for my Honda but I never got it adjusted correctly in my old GF8. Not enough room to adjust it properly IMO or more likely I was too lazy to adjust it properly. Maybe the GD platform is a bit more roomy in that regard.

I got my harness from Brett @ Soloracer.com and the seat from some company in CA that JC_595 recommended. They use them when ordering seats for their vehicle simulators.
mykrrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 09:25 PM   #19
davis10
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 70011
Join Date: Sep 2004
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Bozeman, MT
Default

I say Sparco Evo2 with a 6 pt 3' thick from SPaco as well. BTW on teh sparco website you can look at a sheet that tells you all the dimensions of their seats so you can find one that fits you better
davis10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
seats and harness need help subaru fan Interior & Exterior Modification 3 12-21-2008 02:59 AM
Need suggestion on Dents and Paints evo_killer Interior & Exterior Modification 1 11-30-2004 04:52 PM
Need suggestions on making good mashed potatos. Suggestions? ChosenWon Off-Topic 36 11-27-2003 12:29 AM
Need suggestion on EVO and STI ImprezaSTIVI STi Forum Archive 107 05-19-2003 03:02 PM
Update on my ghetto paintjob...just need cage, seats and harnesses and I'm done... Sean Interior & Exterior Modification 5 11-13-2002 01:50 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2016 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2016, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.