Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday August 28, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Service & Maintenance

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 12-18-2005, 11:45 PM   #1
SkylineR35GTRx
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 25119
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
2005 Impreza WRX STi
Silver

Default Removing undercarriage shield?

Hey guys, I'm about to change the oil in my car and I was wondering I can just use a phillips screw driver to take it out? I saw on another post about taking off the shield I would need a 12mm socket wrench, but I see a phillips head, will it come out? I havent tried because I need to get rhino ramps before I can reach under there with my screw drivers.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
SkylineR35GTRx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 01:06 AM   #2
armand1
Scooby Guru

Member#: 10309
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
'02 OBS 2-tone!
'95 Montego Miata

The philips head is on the plastic fasteners -- they are not screws, you just turn the head 90 degrees or so and pull out the whole 2-part fastener (upper philips head and lower flanged part). IIRC, there are about 1/2 plastic fasteners and 1/2 metal bolts that need the socket.
armand1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 01:53 AM   #3
dad2emk
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 101411
Vehicle:
2006 WRX Wagon MT
SGM

Default Follow this link for help with your oil change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylineR35GTRx
Hey guys, I'm about to change the oil in my car and I was wondering I can just use a phillips screw driver to take it out? I saw on another post about taking off the shield I would need a 12mm socket wrench, but I see a phillips head, will it come out? I havent tried because I need to get rhino ramps before I can reach under there with my screw drivers.
Go back to Service and Maintenance FAQ's and look under Oil FAQ's for the
"how do I change my own oil section".
You will find: "A complete n00b's guide to changing the oil in your WRX"

It is the best step by step posting with pictures for what you need. On my 06, there are five 12mm bolts and yes the center of them are phillips head. If you don't have a socket set, you could remove them with a large phillips. Also, the four pins near the outside corners of my cover were flush (no phillips or slot. For mine I just used flat head screwdriver to pop the center of the pins and then the whole pin can be removed.

One additional tip I can recommend when you get to the oil change: If your car is up on ramps or a jack, raise your catch pan up as well. I knew the oil would flow out away from the hole a bit but I was caught by surprise at how far the initial flow of oil streams and had to quickly re-position my catch pan. Lucky I put down lots of newspaper because I needed it. Put your catch pan on a box or something stable and get it as close to the drain plug hole as you can manage. Slowly back the drain plug out those last few threads and use the drain plug to sort of divert the initial stream of oil into your catch pan. This also gives you a moment to "center" your catch pan for the stream. Having the catch pan up close to the drain plug hole will reduce the splash that comes from the flow of oil hitting the catch pan and splashing out. Hope that helps keep your oil change cleaner than my first.
dad2emk is offline   Reply With Quote