Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday November 27, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.5L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.5L Turbo)

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2006, 11:22 PM   #1001
boozy04
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 87034
Join Date: May 2005
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: NW, Indiana
Vehicle:
08 Stg2 9.5's 275s
SSM

Default

so much for getting this before the sale went off. i won't have my money till next week. maybe they'll be nice since i already have their exhaust.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
boozy04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 11:25 PM   #1002
Ronnzi
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 99385
Join Date: Oct 2005
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Wichita, KS
Vehicle:
2005 WRX
Built EJ257 FP Green 4EAT

Default

My kit was apparently missing the rubber grommet strip that stops the piping from rubbing on the passenger-fender of the car. Anyone know where I can order one just like the one included in the kit?
Ronnzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 11:32 PM   #1003
tasq
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 62362
Join Date: May 2004
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Denver, CO
Vehicle:
2005 wrx
CGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnzi View Post
My kit was apparently missing the rubber grommet strip that stops the piping from rubbing on the passenger-fender of the car. Anyone know where I can order one just like the one included in the kit?
get some 1/2" hose, cut it down the middle, apply and cut to length...

Job done
tasq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 11:35 PM   #1004
cdvma
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 21980
Join Date: Jul 2002
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Central MA
Vehicle:
2002 PSM WRX (Sold)
2009 BMW X5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kite_tmr View Post
Just finished helping a buddy install on his 04 wrx. The kit fits great and looks awsome. Absolutely no issues. Can't wait to get mine on. Only debate i'm having now is whether or not to try and paint it black. I'd really prefer it black but dont want a half chipping FMIC in 6 months. Anyone try this at home?


$1.50 can of flat black spray paint from AutoZone. If it chips, I'll touch up that spot. So far its held up. I used just a very light coat (enough to not see the aluminum color) and let it dry for a couple of days before I could install it.
cdvma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 02:22 AM   #1005
kite_tmr
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 83912
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: North Carolina
Vehicle:
1998 BD STi
10cm DOM3

Default

Looks ****ing awsome, That was the encouragement i needed, Thanks!

What lip are you running?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdvma View Post


$1.50 can of flat black spray paint from AutoZone. If it chips, I'll touch up that spot. So far its held up. I used just a very light coat (enough to not see the aluminum color) and let it dry for a couple of days before I could install it.
kite_tmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 08:57 AM   #1006
chlnOrSlpn?
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 97785
Join Date: Oct 2005
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: CT
Vehicle:
2002 SRP Bugeye
EFI Logics/CTSUBIE

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRX-ERROR View Post
What rusts on a SS exhaust is the welds.. They are mig welded and the wire isn't SS wire. Thus you get rust.
Ok...thanks for the info. I mean I know SS doesn't rust, but I guess it seemed to me that it did. More reason to get this FMIC now
chlnOrSlpn? is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 10:14 AM   #1007
cdvma
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 21980
Join Date: Jul 2002
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Central MA
Vehicle:
2002 PSM WRX (Sold)
2009 BMW X5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kite_tmr View Post
Looks ****ing awsome, That was the encouragement i needed, Thanks!

What lip are you running?
Kaminari with 1 peice CF splitter.
cdvma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 12:06 PM   #1008
Bolster
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 22290
Join Date: Aug 2002
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2002 WRB WRX Wagon

Default

I also painted mine flat black, and I painted the pipes under the hood black too because I don't like the bling bling. The paint is coming off where the hood insulation is lightly rubbing the driver's-side pipe.

I need to adjust the whole thing a bit because my bumper cover does not want to stay on. Am I the only wagon with one of these?
Bolster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 01:25 PM   #1009
Silver '02 REX
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 27963
Join Date: Oct 2002
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: New Fairfield, CT
Vehicle:
2013 Focus ST2
PB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolster View Post
I also painted mine flat black, and I painted the pipes under the hood black too because I don't like the bling bling. The paint is coming off where the hood insulation is lightly rubbing the driver's-side pipe.

I need to adjust the whole thing a bit because my bumper cover does not want to stay on. Am I the only wagon with one of these?
My bugeye bumper is pushed out at the front. I ran out of material to cut in the foglight bucket area and the pipes are still interfering causing a gap at the fender. You can see it here:
Silver '02 REX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 03:31 PM   #1010
boozy04
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 87034
Join Date: May 2005
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: NW, Indiana
Vehicle:
08 Stg2 9.5's 275s
SSM

Default

what was $379 is now $700 on the website. guess i'll wait for one on ebay.
boozy04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 03:39 PM   #1011
tasq
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 62362
Join Date: May 2004
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Denver, CO
Vehicle:
2005 wrx
CGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozy04 View Post
what was $379 is now $700 on the website. guess i'll wait for one on ebay.
Its always been 700 on the site... Just email them...

The 379 was a special, on a seperate page... But the special ended.
tasq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 03:40 PM   #1012
simplebirdy
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 102996
Join Date: Dec 2005
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Tx and Germany
Vehicle:
2009 Legacy
DGM

Default

its always been 700 on the website.
simplebirdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 04:08 PM   #1013
Bolster
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 22290
Join Date: Aug 2002
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2002 WRB WRX Wagon

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver '02 REX View Post
My bugeye bumper is pushed out at the front. I ran out of material to cut in the foglight bucket area and the pipes are still interfering causing a gap at the fender. You can see it here:
Yeah, my bumper looks similar in the fender area. I am going to take a little more material out of the foglight area and hope it fits better. I put mesh grille over the intercooler so it's almost invisible. Good thing: Today a bird decided to commit suicide and chose my car while I was doing 70 on the highway. The grille caught it before it could smack the IC. I have to bend it back into shape, but am glad it is an easier fix than straightening all the would-be bent fins back up.
Bolster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 04:39 PM   #1014
benw
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 103320
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Oklahoma City
Vehicle:
2005 wingless
aspen white

Default

you can always send them an e-mail or a message on eBay. They will work with you on price, back when they werent on sale they said $450 shipped.
benw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 06:08 PM   #1015
kite_tmr
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 83912
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: North Carolina
Vehicle:
1998 BD STi
10cm DOM3

Default

Are you saying you are having different problems cause its a wagon? I'm about to install mine on a bugeye (wagon)as well, what kind of problems shoudl i excpect? We just installed one on an 04 sedan without any issues...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolster View Post
I also painted mine flat black, and I painted the pipes under the hood black too because I don't like the bling bling. The paint is coming off where the hood insulation is lightly rubbing the driver's-side pipe.

I need to adjust the whole thing a bit because my bumper cover does not want to stay on. Am I the only wagon with one of these?
kite_tmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 07:05 PM   #1016
Bolster
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 22290
Join Date: Aug 2002
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2002 WRB WRX Wagon

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kite_tmr View Post
Are you saying you are having different problems cause its a wagon? I'm about to install mine on a bugeye (wagon)as well, what kind of problems shoudl i excpect? We just installed one on an 04 sedan without any issues...
I know the bumper and fenders are different between the wagon and sedan, but I don't think anything is critically different, just more width in the fenders.

Everything fit ok, but it is really tight in the foglight area, and my bumper cover does not want to fit right. I'm taking it back off tonight to try and fix the fitment issue. I don't want to delete my foglights, although I would be willing to if that's the only way I can figure out how to make it all fit right.



Edit: After carefully looking it all over, I took more out of the front part of the bumper cover because it was contacting the IC. Once I got enough of it removed, the bumper cover fit and the pipes were not causing any problems. W00T!

Last edited by Bolster; 09-02-2006 at 12:12 AM.
Bolster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 02:08 AM   #1017
kite_tmr
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 83912
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: North Carolina
Vehicle:
1998 BD STi
10cm DOM3

Default

NICE...Cant wait to get mine on...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolster View Post
I know the bumper and fenders are different between the wagon and sedan, but I don't think anything is critically different, just more width in the fenders.

Everything fit ok, but it is really tight in the foglight area, and my bumper cover does not want to fit right. I'm taking it back off tonight to try and fix the fitment issue. I don't want to delete my foglights, although I would be willing to if that's the only way I can figure out how to make it all fit right.



Edit: After carefully looking it all over, I took more out of the front part of the bumper cover because it was contacting the IC. Once I got enough of it removed, the bumper cover fit and the pipes were not causing any problems. W00T!
kite_tmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 01:07 PM   #1018
cdvma
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 21980
Join Date: Jul 2002
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Central MA
Vehicle:
2002 PSM WRX (Sold)
2009 BMW X5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver '02 REX View Post
My bugeye bumper is pushed out at the front. I ran out of material to cut in the foglight bucket area and the pipes are still interfering causing a gap at the fender. You can see it here:
Hmm that is a bit of fender gap. I'd check the height of the core support and possibly try and fit more clips there.

BUT

The reason this gap exists is due to a lack of support on the bottom of the bumper. Its "swinging" if you will by the top clips since we had to cut off the bottom one in the center. There also isn't any pull from the fender liner because that support is lost with the bumper beam. You need to replace that clip where the two panels meet with a nut and bolt and presto. I think even the instructions mention you should use a bolt.
cdvma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 02:17 PM   #1019
Silver '02 REX
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 27963
Join Date: Oct 2002
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: New Fairfield, CT
Vehicle:
2013 Focus ST2
PB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolster View Post
I know the bumper and fenders are different between the wagon and sedan, but I don't think anything is critically different, just more width in the fenders.

Everything fit ok, but it is really tight in the foglight area, and my bumper cover does not want to fit right. I'm taking it back off tonight to try and fix the fitment issue. I don't want to delete my foglights, although I would be willing to if that's the only way I can figure out how to make it all fit right.



Edit: After carefully looking it all over, I took more out of the front part of the bumper cover because it was contacting the IC. Once I got enough of it removed, the bumper cover fit and the pipes were not causing any problems. W00T!
You got yours to fit? I pretty much cut as far as possible into the front of the fog buckets until I would have gone through the bumper if I went any further. My next thing is to try and loosen up all of the pipes and see if I can wiggle them more away from the bumper and get more clearance.
Silver '02 REX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 04:28 PM   #1020
anthongy817
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 112360
Join Date: Apr 2006
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Houston, TX
Vehicle:
2005 Aspen STi
UR T3/T04S Rotated

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozy04 View Post
what was $379 is now $700 on the website. guess i'll wait for one on ebay.
Wow...luckly i just ordered mine three days ago when they still had it for $379 shipped..
anthongy817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 05:12 PM   #1021
Bolster
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 22290
Join Date: Aug 2002
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2002 WRB WRX Wagon

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver '02 REX View Post
You got yours to fit? I pretty much cut as far as possible into the front of the fog buckets until I would have gone through the bumper if I went any further. My next thing is to try and loosen up all of the pipes and see if I can wiggle them more away from the bumper and get more clearance.

I got it to fit. I didn't take anything out of the foglight buckets. I had not taken enough out for the core, and the bumper was hanging on it. So I took enough out to clear the core and tanks.

I also took the driver's-side pipe out, fit the bumper and attached it everywhere, and then put the pipe back in. That did it and it fits great.
Bolster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 11:50 AM   #1022
Bolster
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 22290
Join Date: Aug 2002
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2002 WRB WRX Wagon

Default

A couple of observations after the install:

1) My oil temps are down almost 10 degrees C after the install. On the highway they are about 75 degrees C. I'd imagine any FMIC would do the same, but it was an unexpected result.

2) Tighten your clamps well. Blowing off a pipe in the fenderwell while driving on a deserted road at night with no street lights is a serious pain to fix.
Bolster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 12:01 PM   #1023
StiPete
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 96164
Join Date: Sep 2005
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NY
Vehicle:
2005 STi - SOLD :(
'00 Impreza 2.5rs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolster View Post
2) Tighten your clamps well. Blowing off a pipe in the fenderwell while driving on a deserted road at night with no street lights is a serious pain to fix.
LOL
First time I blew a pipe off I thought for sure I blew the engine
Luckily the kit comes with an extra coupler and some extra T-bolt clamps.
I highly recommend to everyone keeping them in the glove box or something along with a wrench/socket just in case something happens. I think they are a 10mm if I remember correctly.
StiPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 12:02 PM   #1024
R0DENT
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 111756
Join Date: Apr 2006
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
04 WRB STi
Few Mods...

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolster View Post
2) Tighten your clamps well. Blowing off a pipe in the fenderwell while driving on a deserted road at night with no street lights is a serious pain to fix.
Happened to me on the highway the other night too. I'm going to buy a 10mm rachet wrench and keep it in my car at all times. I may do a pressure check in my garage with my air compressor at 30lbs and just make sure all connectors hold.
R0DENT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 12:05 PM   #1025
StiPete
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 96164
Join Date: Sep 2005
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NY
Vehicle:
2005 STi - SOLD :(
'00 Impreza 2.5rs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by R0DENT View Post
Happened to me on the highway the other night too. I'm going to buy a 10mm rachet wrench and keep it in my car at all times. I may do a pressure check in my garage with my air compressor at 30lbs and just make sure all connectors hold.
Speaking of which, if anyone knows how to pressure test so that the air doesn't leak out of the breather hoses, please let me know
I feel like I can't get 100% accurate results because the air leaks out of the breather hoses so fast.
StiPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FMIC piping made from silicone only subypal Newbies & FAQs 14 12-11-2009 03:43 AM
Ford Mustang Made From 5000 Beer Cans AVANTI R5 Non-Subaru News & Rumors 16 08-04-2007 02:00 AM
I just made coffee with 6-month old Folgers from an open can beachbum Off-Topic 15 01-19-2006 01:46 PM
New e-bay FMIC...not made from Burmese Soda cans. Optimus Prime Factory 2.5L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.5L Turbo) 546 12-16-2005 11:36 AM
New bumper and new FMIC = new pics (56k do not try) GottaREX Member's Car Gallery 87 10-12-2005 07:01 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.