Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday April 16, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.5L Turbo Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2006, 12:52 AM   #1076
StiPete
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 96164
Join Date: Sep 2005
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NY
Vehicle:
2005 STi - SOLD :(
'00 Impreza 2.5rs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kite_tmr View Post
(I realize I run the risk of having tasq yell at me..lol) But whats the deal on the provided short ram? Are people using them? Is there any reason to not use it? Are they smaller in diameter than stock? Thanks...
I'm using it and didn't max it out at 22psi on a td06-20g on a 2005 STi.
It was at 4.8v I believe.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
StiPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 01:23 AM   #1077
benw
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 103320
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Oklahoma City
Vehicle:
2005 wingless
aspen white

Default

I had to disassemble the inlcuded intake, there was a visble gap letting air by the MAF. I used ultra black RTV to seal it up.
benw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 01:51 AM   #1078
StiPete
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 96164
Join Date: Sep 2005
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NY
Vehicle:
2005 STi - SOLD :(
'00 Impreza 2.5rs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by benw View Post
I had to disassemble the inlcuded intake, there was a visble gap letting air by the MAF. I used ultra black RTV to seal it up.
Wow, I'll have to check mine..
Did you drive with it like that or were you able to catch it first?
StiPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 02:22 AM   #1079
benw
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 103320
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Oklahoma City
Vehicle:
2005 wingless
aspen white

Default

caught it first. you know those refillable mechanical pencils, well you could have put one of those sticks of lead (graphite?) in the hole. under boost, Im sure that could have played hell with the car.
benw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 10:39 AM   #1080
kite_tmr
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 83912
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: North Carolina
Vehicle:
1998 BD STi
10cm DOM3

Default

yEAH i have two of these and both have space in the gasket as well. MAkes me think most of them come this way. I'm sure someone didn't catch this (ouch)
Quote:
Originally Posted by benw View Post
I had to disassemble the inlcuded intake, there was a visble gap letting air by the MAF. I used ultra black RTV to seal it up.
kite_tmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 10:40 AM   #1081
kite_tmr
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 83912
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: North Carolina
Vehicle:
1998 BD STi
10cm DOM3

Default

Good enough, thanks...
Quote:
Originally Posted by StiPete View Post
I'm using it and didn't max it out at 22psi on a td06-20g on a 2005 STi.
It was at 4.8v I believe.
kite_tmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 11:34 AM   #1082
tasq
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 62362
Join Date: May 2004
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Denver, CO
Vehicle:
2005 wrx
CGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kite_tmr View Post
(I realize I run the risk of having tasq yell at me..lol) But whats the deal on the provided short ram? Are people using them? Is there any reason to not use it? Are they smaller in diameter than stock? Thanks...
Seriously, why the hell can't you people just read this thread? It contains everything you need to know AND MORE.
tasq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 11:49 AM   #1083
R0DENT
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 111756
Join Date: Apr 2006
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
04 WRB STi
Few Mods...

Default

SSA FMIC Owners:
What is the material of the SSA MAF tube? I thought it was aluminum but my local shop thinks its stainless steel. The reason I need to know is I'm doing a blow through MAF setup this Friday and we might need to weld on the MAF tube.
R0DENT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 11:53 AM   #1084
WRX-ERROR
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 83211
Join Date: Mar 2005
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Wilkes Barre, Pa
Vehicle:
2002 WRX - stg4
PSM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by R0DENT View Post
SSA FMIC Owners:
What is the material of the SSA MAF tube? I thought it was aluminum but my local shop thinks its stainless steel. The reason I need to know is I'm doing a blow through MAF setup this Friday and we might need to weld on the MAF tube.
I'm not 100% sure but I believe it's aluminum. Far to light to be SS. But then again everytime I opwn my mouth in this thread I seem to be wrong..
WRX-ERROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 12:29 PM   #1085
StiPete
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 96164
Join Date: Sep 2005
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NY
Vehicle:
2005 STi - SOLD :(
'00 Impreza 2.5rs

Default

Whatever it is it heats up like a mother..
StiPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 03:13 PM   #1086
kite_tmr
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 83912
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: North Carolina
Vehicle:
1998 BD STi
10cm DOM3

Default

Couldnt find it...relax
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasq View Post
Seriously, why the hell can't you people just read this thread? It contains everything you need to know AND MORE.
kite_tmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 03:14 PM   #1087
tasq
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 62362
Join Date: May 2004
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Denver, CO
Vehicle:
2005 wrx
CGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kite_tmr View Post
Couldnt find it...relax
I chillin man... You obviously didn't read this thread or search very well then...
tasq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 03:49 PM   #1088
StiPete
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 96164
Join Date: Sep 2005
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NY
Vehicle:
2005 STi - SOLD :(
'00 Impreza 2.5rs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kite_tmr View Post
yEAH i have two of these and both have space in the gasket as well. MAkes me think most of them come this way. I'm sure someone didn't catch this (ouch)
Where exactly did you guys seal yours up and whats the best thing to use for something like that?
It gets very hot on there and I want to make sure I use something that wont catch on fire

I noticed there is some kind of red/orange seal that they must use themselves on it already.. is this the area that you guys found the leak?
Thanks
StiPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 10:37 PM   #1089
subalou1
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 57966
Join Date: Mar 2004
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: new york
Vehicle:
2002 wrx Sedona Red
11.59@124, best trap 131

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by R0DENT View Post
SSA FMIC Owners:
What is the material of the SSA MAF tube? I thought it was aluminum but my local shop thinks its stainless steel. The reason I need to know is I'm doing a blow through MAF setup this Friday and we might need to weld on the MAF tube.
Mine was def stainless and im guessing yours is prob the same, we did a blow thru but the diameter of the intercooler piping was to small and it maxed out very fast (engine loads).
subalou1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 01:41 AM   #1090
R0DENT
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 111756
Join Date: Apr 2006
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
04 WRB STi
Few Mods...

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by subalou1 View Post
Mine was def stainless and im guessing yours is prob the same, we did a blow thru but the diameter of the intercooler piping was to small and it maxed out very fast (engine loads).
Good info! It seams light so I thought alum. I'm also doing Speed Density and just need the MAF for idle and cruise. At higher engine loads it goes to SD. I just tried another MAF tonight that I got at Pep Boys. $15 and its 3", fits Suburu. Car runs fine at idle and cruising so I might just run that with SD.
R0DENT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 01:45 AM   #1091
Wrinkleboi
Top Scoob 006
 
Member#: 14424
Join Date: Jan 2002
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Stuart, FL
Vehicle:
BugI w/ 07 STi Swap
www.TriStateTuners.com

Default

what did you get at pep boys for $15? pics or explanation por favor...
Wrinkleboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 02:06 AM   #1092
R0DENT
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 111756
Join Date: Apr 2006
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
04 WRB STi
Few Mods...

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrinkleboi View Post
what did you get at pep boys for $15? pics or explanation por favor...
I got this:

Basically a chrome plastic 3" MAF tube. Why? Because I need to run a 3" inlet for my larger FP Red turbo. Our MAF fits perfect on this. The SSA MAF tube was not going to work for me unless I put it in a blow through setup after the turbo and even then it will max the MAF. Not for everyone. The 3" plastic tube seams to stay cooler too.

Here's how you can make your own custom CAI:

http://www.powerflowracing.com/spectre-products.asp
R0DENT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 02:15 AM   #1093
Wrinkleboi
Top Scoob 006
 
Member#: 14424
Join Date: Jan 2002
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Stuart, FL
Vehicle:
BugI w/ 07 STi Swap
www.TriStateTuners.com

Default

interesting... so its a 3" inner diameter MAF pipe, and the stock MAF sensor screws right into it? although chrome plastic sounds ghetto as hell it might just be incredibly functional. can you confirm inner and outer diameters on both the inlet and outlet? thanks...
Wrinkleboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 02:55 AM   #1094
R0DENT
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 111756
Join Date: Apr 2006
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
04 WRB STi
Few Mods...

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrinkleboi View Post
interesting... so its a 3" inner diameter MAF pipe, and the stock MAF sensor screws right into it? although chrome plastic sounds ghetto as hell it might just be incredibly functional. can you confirm inner and outer diameters on both the inlet and outlet? thanks...
Yes, the stock MAF sensors screws right on with the adapter. Has another gasket for the adapter so it has a good seal. Its actually closer to 2.75 ID on both sides. Thats okay considering my APS inlet is 2.85 ID with a couple flat spots to clear the power steering so its probably closer to 2.75. I wouldn't use these plastic tubes for charge piping but for an intake, I think it works fine. The SSA MAF tube looks smaller than 2.5" ID.
R0DENT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 03:02 AM   #1095
Wrinkleboi
Top Scoob 006
 
Member#: 14424
Join Date: Jan 2002
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Stuart, FL
Vehicle:
BugI w/ 07 STi Swap
www.TriStateTuners.com

Default

Well stock size is 65mm, and the SSA should be as well.
If I were you I would measure that and see what it really is, if its not above 70mm i wouldnt waste my time with it if you were maxing out the stock sized inlet.
The Perrin big MAF is 75mm, but I am unimpressed by the foam filter and the taper to 65mm where it mates to the inlet hose. I wish there was a company who made a simple 75mm MAF tube in exactly the design you have pictured above. I want a big MAF and also have an APS inlet pipe, so I want a 3" inlet and 3" outlet on my MAF pipe... I actually had one fabbed up which is 75mm OD, 71mm ID... its an increase of 18% flow over stock size. I will probably end up using this although it will require slightly more tweaking to fit under the hood... check here for more info on that... http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...ghlight=intake
Wrinkleboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 10:35 AM   #1096
R0DENT
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 111756
Join Date: Apr 2006
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
04 WRB STi
Few Mods...

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrinkleboi View Post
Well stock size is 65mm, and the SSA should be as well.
If I were you I would measure that and see what it really is, if its not above 70mm i wouldnt waste my time with it if you were maxing out the stock sized inlet.
The Perrin big MAF is 75mm, but I am unimpressed by the foam filter and the taper to 65mm where it mates to the inlet hose. I wish there was a company who made a simple 75mm MAF tube in exactly the design you have pictured above. I want a big MAF and also have an APS inlet pipe, so I want a 3" inlet and 3" outlet on my MAF pipe... I actually had one fabbed up which is 75mm OD, 71mm ID... its an increase of 18% flow over stock size. I will probably end up using this although it will require slightly more tweaking to fit under the hood... check here for more info on that... http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...ghlight=intake
I won't be maxing out the MAF because I'm going to SD with the Utec. I'm only using the MAF for temp, idle and light engine loads. The tube I have above is indeed 70mm ID. The APS inlet is 73mm ID with some dent's in it to clear the power steering SO its not really 73mm, more like 70-71mm. So really there's no real way to get a true 3" (75mm) ID intake system.
R0DENT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 10:02 PM   #1097
benw
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 103320
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Oklahoma City
Vehicle:
2005 wingless
aspen white

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by R0DENT View Post
I got this:

Basically a chrome plastic 3" MAF tube.
Perrin BigMAF for $15 bucks!

This might be worth a shot to install.
benw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 10:12 PM   #1098
RickDaTuner
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 28806
Join Date: Nov 2002
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Location: Canmore
Vehicle:
05 STi
WRB

Default

so ebay pulled all thier auctions off? anyone know how to get in contact with them?

Last edited by RickDaTuner; 09-14-2006 at 11:44 PM.
RickDaTuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 10:37 PM   #1099
Freon
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 88322
Join Date: Jun 2005
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Vehicle:
2009 BMW 135i

Default

No, they're back on...
Freon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 10:55 PM   #1100
R0DENT
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 111756
Join Date: Apr 2006
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
04 WRB STi
Few Mods...

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by benw View Post
Perrin BigMAF for $15 bucks!

This might be worth a shot to install.
To be honest, my car is running great with this tube! Idle and cruise aren't bad at all and with no tune. I've been keeping a close eye on my wide band o2 and I think with a good tune, this will run like it was stock (just with more power). I'm not saying this is ideal for everyone but if you want to run a larger turbo with a 3" inlet, then its a cheap way to do it.

Anyway, I took some exact measurements with a micrometer.

Spectre MAF tube
2.82"
71.62mm
(little larger than I thought)

SSA Maf
2.55"
64.77mm

Here's a pic of the 3" Spectre MAF tube and two 3" tubes on each side.
R0DENT is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FMIC piping made from silicone only subypal Newbies & FAQs 14 12-11-2009 02:43 AM
Ford Mustang Made From 5000 Beer Cans AVANTI R5 Non-Subaru News & Rumors 16 08-04-2007 01:00 AM
I just made coffee with 6-month old Folgers from an open can beachbum Off-Topic 15 01-19-2006 12:46 PM
New e-bay FMIC...not made from Burmese Soda cans. Optimus Prime Factory 2.5L Turbo Powertrain 546 12-16-2005 10:36 AM
New bumper and new FMIC = new pics (56k do not try) GottaREX Member's Car Gallery 87 10-12-2005 06:01 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.