Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday July 29, 2015
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Legacy Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 07-20-2000, 09:42 AM   #1
Nigel
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 1919
Vehicle:
1994 Legacy Turbo
Silver

Question Test Mode Connector

I just bought my first Subaru less than two months ago; a '94 Legacy Turbo. I love it, but recently the Check Engine light has occasionaly stayed on after starting the car, and not gone off. It has also come on while driving the car. According to the Haynes manual, if you disconnect the green test mode connector under the steering column and turn the key to the on position, you can see if any codes are stored. I discovered that this connector is already disconnected on my car. If I reconnect the connector, the light starts flashing when I drive the car, but it stays off if I just start the car and let it idle. Is the connector supposed to be connected or disconnected, and is this the correct proceedure for checking codes? Oh yeah, there are no obvious symptoms when the light comes on. Any ideas?

TIA

Nigel
'94 Legacy Turbo
'73 Datsun 240Z
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2000, 01:42 PM   #2
Shik
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 132
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2006 GT Ltd 5spd sdn
2015 WRX 6spd CWP

Nigel, check this site out to learn how to recover the trouble codes. http://members.xoom.com/legacyturbo/tips.html
As for what it could be, my guess would be the CPC solenoid( not really a big deal but should be changed if bad, no real driveability problems), or the water temp sensor. The water temp sensor usually starts causing starting problems and the fans may also be running when the car is cold. Usually doesn't cause driveability problems though. Could also be the O2 sensor(among many other things) but that's not quite as common as the other two. Good luck.
Shik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2000, 02:00 PM   #3
Nigel
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1994 Legacy Turbo
Silver

Smile

Fantastic!

I knew that information had to be out there somewhere. Haynes is not particularly useful when it comes to troubleshooting electronic issues, and their instructions were way off on this one. O2 sensor is brand new, and my fuel economy has been excellent (for a turbo) so far - 20+mpg city 27 hyw, so that's probably not it. I'm not familiar with the CPC Solenoid, so I'll have to look that up.

Thanks Shik!

Nigel
Old 07-20-2000, 03:46 PM   #4
Nigel
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1994 Legacy Turbo
Silver

Smile

For those that are curious, I followed the instructions at:
http://members.xoom.com/legacyturbo/tips.html

... and got Code 35 - Purge control solenoid valve. I gather this is the CPC solenoid that you refered to Shik? Now I just have to find out where this thing is! Any hints? I'm going to start searching the archives.

Nigel
Old 07-20-2000, 04:32 PM   #5
Shik
NASIOC Supporter

Vehicle:
2006 GT Ltd 5spd sdn
2015 WRX 6spd CWP

Nigel, good to hear you got on with it OK. Yes it is the CPC solenoid( Canister Purge Control). That is the solenoid that lets fuel vapor flow into( or out of) the charcol canister( may not be the exact definition but it gives you an idea).

If memory serves me correct, it is under the right side intake runners and has two vacumn lines running into it. It's also brown and black in color I think. It can be a bitch to get out but shouldn't be to bad.

I have heard of some people just cleaning them out with carb spray or the like, resetting the computer and having them work again for a while due to them getting built up with carbon deposits, however I have no experience with "fixing" an old CPC solenoid. Now "fixing" a bad water temp sensor is a different story . Glad the forum helped.
Old 07-20-2000, 11:03 PM   #6
Ben
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 423
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Vehicle:
2002 WRX wagon
Silver

Hi Nigel, my name is Ben, I also live in Markham Ont. I have a 92 silver Legacy turbo with WRX intercooler and boost control!
I have at valve replace when I got my legacy 2 years ago, and I took it to Hing Lee motor in Downtown and they do a good job too. If you bring your car to them , find Conway in parts and tell him Ben Send you and He will give you a special discount!
BTW, what colou of your car? and what did you done on your car?
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2000, 04:26 AM   #7
Nigel
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1994 Legacy Turbo
Silver

Smile

Thanks guys! I'll see if I can track this thing down over the weekend and try cleaning it out. If that's a no go then I'll try Hing Lee like you suggested Ben.

To answer your question Ben, my Legacy is Silver and having only had it for two months, I've not really had a chance to do anything with it. I have ordered an intake from JC Sports, but they're bloody slow in getting it to me. I want to do more, but right now I'm trying to finish restoring my '73 Datsun 240Z, and that's eating all my funds right now. So, I'm just enjoying my Legacy as is, which is nothing to complain about because this car is in mint condition. It's only got 100,000km (60,000 miles) and was carefully maintained by the PO. I'd love to see this intercooler setup you have, Ben. Is there any kind of club for Legacy owners in TO?

Nigel
Old 07-21-2000, 05:03 PM   #8
Shik
NASIOC Supporter

Vehicle:
2006 GT Ltd 5spd sdn
2015 WRX 6spd CWP

Nigel, just a bit of info on JC's intake. Personally, I felt very little difference when I put my intake on( not a JC BTW), compared to when I had the K&N drop-in filter without the silencer. If you have exhaust work done and you have a cold air tube running to the intake, then you might notice some difference but if you plan on keeping the basically stock for a while, I don't think the intake is worth it. Especially if it's JC's "economy" intake or whatever they called it. It is nothing more then a few pipes and connectors that he picked up at Home Depot(at least the one I saw). Take Ben's advice and just do the K&N drop-in filter.
Old 07-22-2000, 12:07 AM   #9
Ben
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 423
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Vehicle:
2002 WRX wagon
Silver

Hi Nigel, as long as I put the K&N filter to replace the factory one, it did gain power if you take out the silancer from the fander it will give you a differnt sound when you step on the gas padel too!!
I just join the 2.5rs club in Toronto and they sometime have some meeting but I'm the only Legacy turbo to show up!!
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2000, 12:28 AM   #10
Nigel
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1994 Legacy Turbo
Silver

Well, perhaps I'll join the RS club then. Do they have regular meetings? I was just looking at their web site and the only thing I could find was info on their Shannonville event in August.

Nigel