Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday July 1, 2016
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Transmission (AT/MT) & Driveline

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2015, 04:28 PM   #1
lillukas
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 383941
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: NY
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Hatch
Black

Default Whine in 5th gear

So I've had this problem for over a year now. In 5th gear the car whines when on the throttle. Pitch raises the faster you go. I've spoken to several other wrx owners who've said they don't hear anything in their cars. I've had the transfer case bearing replaced. Turbo replaced. And a few other bearings replaced. Idk if it is a transmission issue or something else. It takes the joy out of driving bc it's all I hear. Here's a YouTube video https://m.youtube.com/watch?google_c...&v=BNR-fmXY8Wo. Please help. I want to keep this car but this is driving me nuts and I want to figure it out. Thanks
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
lillukas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 03-16-2015, 05:32 PM   #2
Uncle Scotty
*** Banned ***
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK buy Nates beans
westcoastroasting.com

Default

try adjusting your tire air pressure f/r split....try 2psi more in the front tires than the rears
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 05:34 PM   #3
05STIcanada
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 411583
Join Date: Jan 2015
Default

i have this whine in my 05 sit, been like since I bought it used off the previous owner.

It happen in 5th and 6th, its certainly not the turbo, its maybe something drivetrain related who knows.

All i know is that is doesn't cause the car any problems, so I ignore it until whatever that noise may be causes a problem.
05STIcanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 05:57 PM   #4
lillukas
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 383941
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: NY
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Hatch
Black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05STIcanada View Post
i have this whine in my 05 sit, been like since I bought it used off the previous owner.

It happen in 5th and 6th, its certainly not the turbo, its maybe something drivetrain related who knows.

All i know is that is doesn't cause the car any problems, so I ignore it until whatever that noise may be causes a problem.
Dang. Yeah I never thought it was the turbo. Subaru replaced it tho under warranty. I wish I could ignore it but it's all I hear. I know I can listen to music like a lot of wise cracks say but that's not the point. I just know it's fixable but I'm out of ideas and Subaru doesn't feel there's a need to help me anymore
lillukas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 11:23 AM   #5
lillukas
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 383941
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: NY
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Hatch
Black

Default

So just a slight update..I brought my car to a subaru specialist not too far from me..very honest..told me the noise is definitely not normal but that the cost to fix it would not be worth it for me..especially since I still have a warranty..I would've been willing to shell out a grand but it was much more..I'm not mechanically inclined to take apart a transmission..also, I previously stated that the noise stops once I take my foot off the accelerator..I noticed on the highway today that while doing around 75 when the noise is noticeably louder, when I let off the accelerator, you can hear the whine winding down..idk if that means its definitely the trans or something else..let me know what you guys think
lillukas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 12:03 PM   #6
D-rock240
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 284221
Join Date: May 2011
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: West of Baltimore, MD
Vehicle:
2011 WRX GV SSM
2001 Legacy BH 5MT DD

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillukas View Post
So just a slight update..I brought my car to a subaru specialist not too far from me..very honest..told me the noise is definitely not normal but that the cost to fix it would not be worth it for me..especially since I still have a warranty..I would've been willing to shell out a grand but it was much more..I'm not mechanically inclined to take apart a transmission..also, I previously stated that the noise stops once I take my foot off the accelerator..I noticed on the highway today that while doing around 75 when the noise is noticeably louder, when I let off the accelerator, you can hear the whine winding down..idk if that means its definitely the trans or something else..let me know what you guys think
What did the specialist say it was?
D-rock240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 12:10 PM   #7
lillukas
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 383941
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: NY
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Hatch
Black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-rock240 View Post
What did the specialist say it was?
he said it definitely sounds like its coming from the transmission but obviously its hard to tell without taking the trans apart..I've been doing endless research trying to figure it out with the limited knowledge that I have..would an output shaft bearing be the culprit possibly??
lillukas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 12:13 PM   #8
lillukas
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 383941
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: NY
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Hatch
Black

Default

I spoke to a 12 wrx owner the other day..stock with 54k on it..the guy told me he doesn't hear a peep in 5th gear
lillukas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 12:16 PM   #9
liquidplasma
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 414701
Join Date: Feb 2015
Default

No issues on mine quiet as can be
liquidplasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 12:20 PM   #10
lillukas
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 383941
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: NY
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Hatch
Black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidplasma View Post
No issues on mine quiet as can be
thank you..I'm tired of hearing it is a normal noise..how many miles are on yours?
lillukas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 08:05 PM   #11
Fadetoblack909
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 386426
Join Date: Apr 2014
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: San Bernardino,CA
Vehicle:
2014 Wrx hatch
Black

Default

Mine makes this noise too ..when getting on the freeway and put it in 5th around 2500rpm and soon as I give it some throttle it starts to make that noise then goes away around 2900-3000 rpms ... Only hear it early In the mornings on my way too work, other then that I have music playing so don't hear it

Car runs great so havent paid attention to it really ..I thought maybe it's the turbo or the accessory button being on or I always have my aux on so maybe that also idk ..
Fadetoblack909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 08:47 PM   #12
wrxsubaruwrx
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 60415
Join Date: Apr 2004
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Guilderland, NY
Vehicle:
1973 Gran Torino
Green w rust coloration

Default

My 2012 started to whine, it sounded like it was in the transmission. I changed the center diff and the noise remained, I changed out the entire trans with one from a 2014, the noise remained. In the end, it turned out it was the rear end.

Long story short, check the rear diff. However, if it turns out to be the trans, I have one with new center diff and bearings for sale .
wrxsubaruwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 08:48 PM   #13
lillukas
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 383941
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: NY
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Hatch
Black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fadetoblack909 View Post
Mine makes this noise too ..when getting on the freeway and put it in 5th around 2500rpm and soon as I give it some throttle it starts to make that noise then goes away around 2900-3000 rpms ... Only hear it early In the mornings on my way too work, other then that I have music playing so don't hear it

Car runs great so havent paid attention to it really ..I thought maybe it's the turbo or the accessory button being on or I always have my aux on so maybe that also idk ..
I hear you. Mine is throughout the whole gear no matter the rpm as you can see in my video in the OP. I get listening to music but I also like to just drive and enjoy the subie rumble but I can't bc all I hear is this whine.
lillukas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 08:51 PM   #14
lillukas
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 383941
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: NY
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Hatch
Black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxsubaruwrx View Post
My 2012 started to whine, it sounded like it was in the transmission. I changed the center diff and the noise remained, I changed out the entire trans with one from a 2014, the noise remained. In the end, it turned out it was the rear end.

Long story short, check the rear diff. However, if it turns out to be the trans, I have one with new center diff and bearings for sale .
Dang I hope that all didn't come out of your pocket. Let me ask you. Did the noise sound like it was coming from the back or front of the car? And what do you mean exactly by rear end? Rear dif? Mine sounds like it's coming from the front.
lillukas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 09:41 PM   #15
liquidplasma
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 414701
Join Date: Feb 2015
Default

40009km on mine
liquidplasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 10:08 PM   #16
Fadetoblack909
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 386426
Join Date: Apr 2014
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: San Bernardino,CA
Vehicle:
2014 Wrx hatch
Black

Default

Yea when I hear it' sounds like it's coming from the dash/head unit area ..
Fadetoblack909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 12:21 AM   #17
Luke17
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 384102
Join Date: Mar 2014
Vehicle:
2013 WRX Sedan
White

Default

Have you tried changing gear oils to a thicker weight? I think I know the sound you are describing could be a ring and pinion not quite meshing happily but very close. I'm not familiar with how the center diff works but the rear I have heard before on trucks cars etc. It is possible to be in spec but still not quite correct and will give off a whine at highway speeds but un noticeable at city speeds. Just a thought.

FYI my 13 WRX does not whine has 11k miles.
Luke17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 01:03 AM   #18
Fadetoblack909
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 386426
Join Date: Apr 2014
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: San Bernardino,CA
Vehicle:
2014 Wrx hatch
Black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxsubaruwrx View Post
My 2012 started to whine, it sounded like it was in the transmission. I changed the center diff and the noise remained, I changed out the entire trans with one from a 2014, the noise remained. In the end, it turned out it was the rear end.

Long story short, check the rear diff. However, if it turns out to be the trans, I have one with new center diff and bearings for sale .

So how did you fix the noise ?..change the fluid ?..new rear diff?..change bushings ?

Last edited by Fadetoblack909; 03-21-2015 at 01:16 AM.
Fadetoblack909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 07:23 AM   #19
lillukas
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 383941
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: NY
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Hatch
Black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke17 View Post
Have you tried changing gear oils to a thicker weight? I think I know the sound you are describing could be a ring and pinion not quite meshing happily but very close. I'm not familiar with how the center diff works but the rear I have heard before on trucks cars etc. It is possible to be in spec but still not quite correct and will give off a whine at highway speeds but un noticeable at city speeds. Just a thought.

FYI my 13 WRX does not whine has 11k miles.
I haven't tried changing the weighted the gear oil. Is there any downside to that when it comes to these transmissions? I've had it changed obviously when all the work was done on my car but never a different weight
lillukas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 07:25 AM   #20
lillukas
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 383941
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: NY
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Hatch
Black

Default

Literally with all the work that was done on my car, it was returned to me Sounding exactly the same. Like they didn't even come close to what was wrong
lillukas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 07:54 AM   #21
wrxsubaruwrx
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 60415
Join Date: Apr 2004
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Guilderland, NY
Vehicle:
1973 Gran Torino
Green w rust coloration

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillukas View Post
Dang I hope that all didn't come out of your pocket. Let me ask you. Did the noise sound like it was coming from the back or front of the car? And what do you mean exactly by rear end? Rear dif? Mine sounds like it's coming from the front.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fadetoblack909 View Post
So how did you fix the noise ?..change the fluid ?..new rear diff?..change bushings ?

It did all come out of pocket, I wouldn't even try the dealer. I bought the rear carrier and diff from the same car I sourced the transmission from. The sound had to travel up the driveshaft, because it sounded like it was in the transmission. I try to warn others of this, so they don't go through the same misdiagnosis that I went through.
wrxsubaruwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 08:17 AM   #22
lillukas
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 383941
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: NY
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Hatch
Black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxsubaruwrx View Post
It did all come out of pocket, I wouldn't even try the dealer. I bought the rear carrier and diff from the same car I sourced the transmission from. The sound had to travel up the driveshaft, because it sounded like it was in the transmission. I try to warn others of this, so they don't go through the same misdiagnosis that I went through.
Wow sorry man. so you replaced the whole rear diff..the thing is that I would have to sell this to the dealership bc I don't want to pay for it. My car is still under warranty. When everyone keeps telling you it's normal tho it's hard to get them going in the other direction. It's funny seeing first hand how dealerships really aren't that trustworthy. And I'm friends with a lot of these guys bc I do a lot of my work at dealerships. So I'm basically going to be asking them to replace the rear dif? That's what you're telling me? Sorry just tryjng to be clear. I really appreciate your help on this. It's hard enough getting responses let alone idiots who don't take you seriously.
lillukas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 09:07 AM   #23
wrxsubaruwrx
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 60415
Join Date: Apr 2004
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Guilderland, NY
Vehicle:
1973 Gran Torino
Green w rust coloration

Default

I'm not necessarily telling you your rear diff is bad, I'm just advising you don't rule out the possibility that the noise could be resonating from the rear. My car is heavily modded, so I couldn't even try the dealer. In your case, if the dealership has told you the noise is normal, and your car is stock, I would just get something in writing(which you most likely have already) that states your complaint and their diagnosis of your complaint being "normal", so if/when something malfunctions you can say "I told you so, fix it for free".

Quick "funny" dealership story. My car was bone stock, #4 ringland cracked, the dealership changed the throttlebody hose and told me I was good to go. When I picked up the car, they showed me the old hose with half a quart of oil in it and told me that was "normal". In the long run, I was denied service because I removed the downpipe to change my bad 02 sensor. I never would have thought that was a warranty item .
wrxsubaruwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 09:46 AM   #24
lillukas
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 383941
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: NY
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Hatch
Black

Default

Believe me it's all documented. I just want my car fixed. I choose to drive my CRV sometimes bc I don't want to think about "man this is an annoying noise, what could it be, etc.." everytime I drive ya know. This has just sapped any enjoyment of driving. I think hearing the word "normal" is what they've been programmed to say. Very frustrating. That's pretty bogus what they did with you.
lillukas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 09:50 AM   #25
Luke17
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 384102
Join Date: Mar 2014
Vehicle:
2013 WRX Sedan
White

Default

Changing the weight of gear oil in the rear diff is just a cheep way to attempt to identify the noise, a heaver weight would deaden the whine slightly.

Dealer story: I used to work for one of the big 3 American manufacturer. Truck comes in for rear end whine at highway speeds. The tech working on the truck decides it's in the transmission so he rebuilds the trans. The truck was returned to the customer with the same subtle whine. Years later and about 60k after the rear was shot. How do I know, customer was my dad, the dealer coveredthe trans rebuild under warranty. The tech was simply lazy, the trans rebuild paid better than the rear end work(commission remember) more than likely the pinion gear needed to be shimmed a few thousands more to eliminate the noise. It takes a trained ear to hear this noise and most will simply deny hearing it because it's not something that will need immediate attention, over the life span of the rear end it will though. Just save your service tickets with the statements from the tech and service writer, maybe get another dealer opinion if you have the option. When the time comes pull your papers out and they should cover it.
Luke17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2016 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2016, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.