Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday July 29, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Subaru Conversions

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 01-16-2006, 03:25 PM   #1
Norcalrallyist
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 15510
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
1993 MY94 WRX

Default Questions about swapping jdm

I read that the subie harness is chassis and engine combined into one harness. So If I bought a version 1 front clip and was planning to put it in a 93-94 front clip, would I have to use any part of the US harness? Id have the ecu harness engine transmission from the donor car and I was thinking I might have to extend the harness because its RHD not LHD but Im hoping I wont have to start hacking up two harness and combining them to get it to work. Just trying to do my homework before I go buy this clip.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Norcalrallyist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 12:35 AM   #2
suberdave
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 101865
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
88 GL-10 STi
silver

on the JDM harnisses the engine is not intergrated into the body like the USDM cars. when the clip is cut, you can still start and run the engine like everything is still a whole car.

as for longer wires. i would just find a new location for the ECM.

i just did a 96 JDM swap into an 88 GL wagon, and i put the ECM under the dash on the drivers side. without cutting any wires.

-=Suberdave=-
suberdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 12:54 AM   #3
scobaru
Scooby Guru

Member#: 31345
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
05 LGT, GC8, NA
blue, white, blue

you don't have to extend ALL of hte wires just some... the older subies I believe the engine and body are 2 different harnesses. I bought a front clip... its the right way to go
scobaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 06:10 PM   #4
Norcalrallyist
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1993 MY94 WRX

But I will still have to integrate the jdm harness into my US harness correct? Or more like integrate the US harness into the jdm harness since ill be using the jdm ecu.
Old 01-18-2006, 01:01 AM   #5
josh...just josh
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 82273
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
97 impreza L
now with wrx brake love!!

i guess i've never really understood why you cant just pull out the stock car's engine harness (or leave it in and unplugged for that matter) , put the jdm motor in, and wire the jdm engine harness to the jdm ecu ( and find a nice home for the ecu under the hood to make things even easier). i would imagine that the only things that you would have to wire into the car itself would be input for the coolant temp, tach, and oil pressure (all of which you could do without). you could wire in the few things from the car's harness that you might need (like the power steering pressure sensor). since jdm cars dont do emissions crap and niether does iowa i could just rid myself of all the stuff present on the car. i know that there is prob a million holes with this, but im just a noob really.
josh...just josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 06:03 AM   #6
swapstar
*** Banned ***

Member#: 102779
Vehicle:
1998 PM if u need
JDM bits.....

the first swap i did was just that. we removed the complete usdm harness, and then put the JDM RHD harness into the LHD car. we fit in teh mechanical bits, and fit the harness per JDM diagram. then the job was to extend the stuff to reach - i.e. dash harness on the proper side, fuesbox not on your foot, ecu to the Airbag placement, etc etc.

its not bad. just takes some patience and alot of soldering.
swapstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 02:34 PM   #7
Norcalrallyist
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1993 MY94 WRX

But its bound to be easier than hacking up 2 harness and combining them right?
Old 01-18-2006, 03:02 PM   #8
swapstar
*** Banned ***

Member#: 102779
Vehicle:
1998 PM if u need
JDM bits.....

perhaps. perhaps not. but i think it is.
swapstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 04:28 PM   #9
tweakling
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 33072
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
'95 EJ20g v1 STI RA
BRP, 2001 GC8 chassis

The guys that did the wiring for my v2 swap had to combine the harnesses.
tweakling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 05:10 PM   #10
zphantom
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 35024

I did my 94 wagon to 97 JDM and it was not bad once I got the pinning of the ecu and the diagrams for both cars. You definately want to combine the harnesses. The 94 actually had 2 harnesses one for the engine and the other for the rest of the car.
So you really only need to hack the engine harness of the USDM car and then
tie in the misc items (temp, tach, Speed sensor (very important), etc) from the ecu to the other loom in the car. All and all about 17 wires.
zphantom is offline   Reply With Quote