Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday November 28, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Legacy Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 01-29-2000, 03:29 AM   #1
Yair Bartal
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 785
Question Legacy AT AWD 50:50 lockup at 2nd gear too?

I've read that the Legacy AT AWD locks at 50:50 front/rear 1st gear and reverse.
Then some other post claimed it locks at 2nd gear too.
My owner's manual doesn't say a word about it.
Anyone has a reliable source?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Yair Bartal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2000, 09:26 AM   #2
Shik
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 132
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2006 GT Ltd 5spd sdn
2015 WRX 6spd CWP

My understanding is that the automatics are 90/10 in all gears under normal driving conditions and will then split up to a MAX of 65/35 if the need arises, again, in all gears( SVXs were a different story). Only the 5speeds were 50/50. Also FWIW, a Subaru service rep from SOA told the dealership I worked for that the autos do not transfer any percentages of power in reverse, it simply stays at 90/10, no matter what slippage occurs.
Shik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2000, 03:25 PM   #3
Paisan
Tri-State Track Instructor

Member#: 197
Vehicle:
'14 Touareg TDI '14
BRZ http://48hrs.info

I think it's 90/10 f/r which will split up to 10/90 f/r if needed in any gear, including reverse....

-mike
'88 XT6
'97 Rodeo
'97 Legacy L
Paisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2000, 07:47 PM   #4
GTMAN
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 480
Vehicle:
1998 Legacy GT Wagon

Cool

These are the facts..at least for the 98GTAuto for sure.

"D" 90f/10r all the time unitl slip is anticipated or weight is transferred to the back wheels (try flooring it from 0mph, and then try slowly depressing the gas form 0mph and gradually depressing it more faster and faster after the car starts rolling......big difference in the accelerating. 50/50 makes the car accel. slowly....but under 2wd ish mode...its sweet.

"3" Same as "D"
"2" Same as "D"
"1" 50/50 locked
"R" 50/50.

You should be able to feel at least the diff between 50/50 and 90/10. I can feel this all the time as I stop on my drive way going up and then accel to get the car moving...depending how rapid I push the accel

Hope this helps.

GTMAN

Hope this helps.

GTMAN
GTMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2000, 11:59 AM   #5
Sebastian
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 829
GTMAN,

Where did you get your info? I'm interested in learning more.

I personally own a new 1999 Subaru Legacy GT (4EAT), and am wondering if someone has any working links to more in-depth information regarding this vehicles' specific AWD system? As well as its affect with my ABS system and the computer which controls power transfer (from 90/10 to ??/??). Also such issues if the "full-time AWD" is working when going in reverse and its limits.

The more I understand how this AWD system works, the better (hopefully) I can learn to adapt, anticipate, and perform with the vehicle under the various driving situations.

A good driving FAQ on properly handling our vehicles in different weather would be good. Short of taking an actual driving course.

I am in Canada (Toronto, Ontario) and the snow can become very challenging at times. Even with AWD, the car is able to spin out. I can do "donuts" in an emtpy, snow filled parking lot; driving forwards! This is new to me since my previous vehicle was only FWD.

Thanks.
Sebastian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2000, 12:17 AM   #6
GTMAN
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 480
Vehicle:
1998 Legacy GT Wagon

Smile

I just don't know how I got the information. I have read so much of sube news, articles, and talking to factory reps that I cant remember where I found/got these facts. I looked all over in all my mags and cant find that.

Also, if you notice the sube brochures that the keep showing a car going up hill and the rear squats and power arrow is toward the back, and vice versa for downhill.

I definately know that something is engaging when I floor it from 0mph in "D" its like the car lurches forward a bit then another clutch engages and slows down the initial lurch a bit - Try that and tell me if your're feelin it too......Then try it in 1st - the lurch is slightly less and there is no second clutch engagement.

Also.....Ooooo yeah try this....this is a good one......

Go to an open carpark free of any obstruction and cops, and go in circles like you were doing a U-turn, and keep the radius tight. Go slow for a couple of rounds....then start give it some juice and hold that speed. Do this up to a point that you hear the wheels start sqeeling (Oh and have it in "D" all the time). Keep on gassing.....you WILL FEEL AWD right there! The car will behave wierd. The front will slide a bit then will tuck in, front will slide again and then will tuck in.....on and on and on until you puke. The computer is accomodating for the slip and grip in the tires....and it does keep to a circle. The turning circle is kinked as you go around due the understeer-oversteer-understeer etc effect. No other non-AWD car will do this.

Then put it in 1st. Do the same gassing technique and hold the speed in circles. No slip-grip-slip-grip etc. goin on. Locked 50/50 just keeps you in a smooth circle...tires slip and all but its neutral....no kinked circle.

Oh then try this (same road environment please). Take a 180 deg turn from 0mph (i.e. U-turn) in "D". As you get the car rolling in the turn floor it!......The tires will sqeel and spin and the car will take the U turn and all of a sudden the back spins around (oversteer) as the power get shot to the rear wheels and then, at least in all my cases, all 4 tires start spinning! Warning! Tail comes around real quick and then you will attenpt to correct by turning the wheel the opposite direction to the slide.....this will really freak you out if you never did this. You need to learn how to control the sliding very very quickly. All 4tires are spinning and the car fish tails and the front gets slippery cus of the front wheels spinning. Watch out for the redline as it comes up pretty quick and let up on the gas.

Wow, just explaining that gets as much adrenelin goin as doin the real thing.

Then do the same with shifter in "1st". Instantly you'll notice that the car is not as nervous and all you feel is squeelin wheels. And you'll find that you dont need the correct as much the car at all...50/50 split. Watch your rpm's...and be ready to shift before 6500rpm.....even if you dont the computer will shift up anyway.....but try not to let it do it.

Anyway, this comes in handy in daily driving when you take U-turns in busy traffic area.....when you need to take a quick turn, drop it in "1st" and you'll have 10 times more confident to do a fast/quick U turn.....and you don't need to hammer it to feel the difference.

Its nice to know the car behaves at its turning limits.

Please practice safety.....Ive done this only couple of times and every time its put a foolish grin on my face after I do it....its just unbelivable.

Hats off to AWD.....the a way car should be.

Please be warned that the stuff you parctice alone in the car may not work with passengers on board as the weight balance is completely different. Try these at slower speeds and build up your condifence in the car. It will not let you down.

Have fun...and let me know if my descriptions are true.

GTMAN

Note the that I have a 18mmrear sway bar, which will make the tail come around slightly quicker.
GTMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2000, 07:12 AM   #7
Paisan
Tri-State Track Instructor

Member#: 197
Vehicle:
'14 Touareg TDI '14
BRZ http://48hrs.info

I was practicing with my XT6 and my buddy's 2.5RS Sedan in the snow this weekend. It was great practice on streets upstate NY. I would slide it around, and found it is so much better to drop the cars to 1st or "1st hold" as is the case in the XT6 w/AT. After this weekend, I'm ordering my NYS plate...

AWD (statue) 4ME

-mike
'88 XT6
'97 Rodeo
'97 Legacy (parents)
Paisan is offline   Reply With Quote