Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday September 19, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 01-18-2006, 12:12 AM   #1
subeforlife2002
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 100667
Vehicle:
2002 WRX stage 4
Blue

Default Short ram intake question

I have a 02 wrx and I'm running a AEM short ram intake. Since we installed the fmic a while ago we had to cut my intake to make it fit in before the pipes. It looks like crap and I wanted to know what other intakes are people running with a fmic.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
subeforlife2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 12:25 AM   #2
Hunt3r
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 95484
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
1985 911/993 Cab
silver

I have a Perrin short-ram that did not have to be modified to fit the piping for my hyperflow fmic. Maybe your ic piping runs differently?..

Hunt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 12:51 AM   #3
subeforlife2002
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX stage 4
Blue

I'm running turbo xs fmic. My pipe runs the same, but it looks like yours my bend down sooner by your filter. Not sure though. Would me changing intakes mess up my tune that I had done on my turbo xs?

Last edited by subeforlife2002; 01-18-2006 at 01:02 AM.
Old 01-18-2006, 02:49 AM   #4
sixpack subaru
*** Banned ***

Member#: 64974
Vehicle:
1995 WRX,APEXi,HKS,$
Faded, Stonechipped Red

So you guys are happy to suck hot ait from the header and up-pipe??:?

Have lost whatever gains you WERE going to get? What did your EGT's do after these were installed?
'Box off' the pod, modify the bonnet 'grille', and get some cold air in there!!
Not flaming....Just my 0.2c worth
Sixpack
sixpack subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 06:07 PM   #5
subeforlife2002
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX stage 4
Blue

Any ideas on what material to use to create a box around the intake, then a tube or splitter to direct the air?
Old 01-19-2006, 01:35 AM   #6
Hunt3r
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 95484
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
1985 911/993 Cab
silver

My whole setup is a TurboXS stage 4 kit but the guy who installed it went with a Hyperflow IC instead of the TurboXS one. But yeah it looks like mine bends down sooner before the intake and that my air filter assembly may be just a little smaller than yours too.

Sixpack, boxing it off definitely would be a good idea if I had the time, but I really don't think it gets hot air there being that the filter is shoved right up against the hole into the fender well. I have a egt meter and I usually cruise around 500-600, sometimes less.

My only complaint about the intake is I seem to be getting too much cold, dense air now that it's winter time. I had it re-tuned the past summer outside in the heat and now it seems to run a little lean on cold days so I've got to go get a "winter" tune now

And yes you probably should re-tune if you change intakes, I guess it really depends on how different the intakes are and most likely they're different enough to warrant a retune.
Hunt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 01:59 AM   #7
sixpack subaru
*** Banned ***

Vehicle:
1995 WRX,APEXi,HKS,$
Faded, Stonechipped Red

Subaru Stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by subeforlife2002
Any ideas on what material to use to create a box around the intake, then a tube or splitter to direct the air?
Use fiberglass, then use a tar-backed adhesive foil heat coating on it.
As far as the bonnet grille goes, there are a few manufacturers out there making a 'bolt-on' 'scoop' for the rh bonnet grille. You WILL notice the difference, cold climate or not.
Cheers
Sixpack
Old 01-19-2006, 02:17 AM   #8
sixpack subaru
*** Banned ***

Vehicle:
1995 WRX,APEXi,HKS,$
Faded, Stonechipped Red

Subaru Stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt3r
My whole setup is a TurboXS stage 4 kit but the guy who installed it went with a Hyperflow IC instead of the TurboXS one. But yeah it looks like mine bends down sooner before the intake and that my air filter assembly may be just a little smaller than yours too.

Sixpack, boxing it off definitely would be a good idea if I had the time, but I really don't think it gets hot air there being that the filter is shoved right up against the hole into the fender well. I have a egt meter and I usually cruise around 500-600, sometimes less.

My only complaint about the intake is I seem to be getting too much cold, dense air now that it's winter time. I had it re-tuned the past summer outside in the heat and now it seems to run a little lean on cold days so I've got to go get a "winter" tune now

And yes you probably should re-tune if you change intakes, I guess it really depends on how different the intakes are and most likely they're different enough to warrant a retune.
I doubt whether you will ever need a retune for an intake, most of the governing factors for intake are turbo, valves, heads, t/body etc, (and lets not forget that you guys are still running the under manifold intake ).
You would not need to retune because of the intake pipe before the turbo in my opinion. As far as sucking cold air, I recently had an 'in depth conversation' on a thread with The Mad Scientist based on turbo-prop engines and the issues with fuel condensation when the charge air temp falls below 40Deg F, we both agreed and it is thermodynamic basics that the lower the charge air temp in a forced induction internal combustion engine the better, there is no 'lowest usable' temp where the fuel will condense and therefore lose torque due to an unburnt mix. In short, for the Subaru engine in particular, with it's long intake runners and turbo charger, that the colder the air the better .
I'm not saying that you won't have to re-tune from summer to winter if we are talking about massive charge air temp differences, (although believe it or cold dense air actually creates a lean mix!), to achieve max toque/HP this would be essential.
BTW;it DEFINITELY gets hot air there, trust me!!
If you don't have time, wait till your mate makes one then get one from him
HTH
Cheers
Sixpack