Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday July 14, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Legacy Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 01-03-2000, 03:00 AM   #1
Imprezer
Dynamic Uno

Member#: 1
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
2011 Impreza WRX STi
Black

Question Question about EJ22

Hey guys, I know nothing about US EJ22 Turbo motor that came on the 90-? Legacy's. Can someone fill me in on the specs and all the info about it and how it is different from any Japanese EJ22 motor. I am really looking in slapping one of these babies in my RS, so I want to know more. Please answer it as detailed as possible. Thanks a lot.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Imprezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2000, 05:17 AM   #2
Shik
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 132
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
1997 LGT wagon
2015 WRX on order

Alex, here's some quick specs from Turbo Magazine.

2.2(2,212cc) SOHC Hydraulic valve adjusters,16V, closed-deck aluminum block with cast iron cylinder sleeves, 160hp@5,600 181lbs/ft@2,800

*Crank journal spacing is narrowed to make a more compact and rigid( bullet-proof) bottom end.
*Main bearings modified for better lube retention and load bearing

*Pistons(8.0:1 cr) are moly coated and shot peened as are the pins( however the rods are stock 2.2 rods). The second ring lands are wider and deeper for increased strength and cooling.

*A tapped-in oil spray incorporating a check valve cools the undersides of pistons' when oil psi exceeds 57psi.

* The heads had significantly redisigned coolant passages as well as hardened valve seats.

Just some other little info. The headers from the WRX are said to be quite a bit better flowing and will bolt right on. It has the same style water pump as the WRX so as SCC mentioned, the crossmember will have to be changed. I'm sure you don't plan on running the same turbo( which is a bit on the small side) but it's both water and oil cooled as most IHI's are. It never came with an intercooler which is why the boost was kept so low but the Spearco/Minnam intercooler is much larger anyway.

As far as differences between the JDM 2.2 turbo and ours, I'm not really sure that Japan ever got our EJ22T in the early 90s( although someone correct me if I'm wrong because I'd like to find out myself). It seems the 2.0 has always been the weapon of choice and as a result, info on the EJ22T is hard to come by. The 22B's 2.2 as you know is basically a modern day closed-deck 2.0 that's been both bored and stroked( I think) so I'm sure it has the solid lifters and other improvements that the phase II motors got but I can't imagine it being totally different then the past motors.

If you want other specific details, there are a few Turbo Legacy guys here so someone could probably answer them. Also, Paul Eklund runs one in his Impreza and seems to be quite helpful with questions. And then there is always Chad Di'Marco who rallied the Legacy for SOA in the early 90's but he seems to be tight-lipped with past Subaru stuff. He owns Sube Sports in Huntington Beach, CA. Hope this helps a bit
Shik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2000, 08:02 AM   #3
chris300zxtt
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 532
Vehicle:
93 Nissan 300ZTT
Black on Black

Seems that you covered everything there. Except that the car is amazingly fast with a few minor upgrades. 142mph, around 7.0 on the 0-60. I also am looking for a 2.2 but can't find one. Want to put it in the 99 Legacy GT. Seems that no one around here has anything Subaru what so ever. Also, maybe someone could answer this question:

Has anyone performed a SVX to newer Legacy swap? From what I remember, the SVX made about 230hp, quite a reliable upgrade to my Legacy. However, their is absolutely no aftermarket for that engine. So I would basically be stuck with 230hp until I found someone to fabricate custom parts.

I don't know, I have always thought about the SVX swap, but never knew for sure. If anyone out there has done it, let me know, or let the person who has done it know about my interest. Whew..confusing.

Thanks,

Chris
chris300zxtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2000, 10:11 AM   #4
Miller3339
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 299
TRI guys, what do you recommend for "Minor Upgrades"?? I need an Intercooler!!
Miller3339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2000, 01:33 PM   #5
John Davies

Member#:
Regarding SVX aftermarket stuff:
http://www.kineticconcepts.com/

They can get you an estimated 329 hp. I am not sure how much that would cost, but I expect that you would need a really serious bank account.

I also suggest you wait and try a new H6 GT before embarking on such an ambitious project. How about adding a Rimmer supercharger to the H6? That should be good for an easy 300 hp.

John Davies
Old 01-05-2000, 12:03 AM   #6
Paisan
Tri-State Track Instructor

Member#: 197
Vehicle:
'14 Touareg TDI '12
Jag XJ http://48hrs.info

SVX swap would be expensive unless you found a wreck. I'd just wait til the new H6 comes out for the 2k style Legacy's.

After driving my XT6 for the past 2 weeks, I think I will definitely get the new Legacy GT either wagon or sedan after the lease on my '97 rodeo is up. I figure it should have some decent towing capacity with the H6.

-mike
Paisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2000, 07:51 AM   #7
chris300zxtt
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 532
Vehicle:
93 Nissan 300ZTT
Black on Black

Well, the reason that the SVX engine is so inviting is because:

1. I know of a wrecked one
2. I don't believe the H6 will make more than 210hp from the factory

I also know of a wrecked Legacy Turbo, but I think someone bought the car

I do like the 2.5, don't get me wrong, and I would love to turbo or supercharge it, but no one honestly knows how reliable these set-ups are. This car already has 23,000 on the clock, since November 1998. Too many road trips taken to shows and stuff to not be 100% of the engine. However, I may just scrap making this car "fast" and buy a new Legacy when it comes with the H6 (provided it comes in a 5 speed). I like the idea of the Impreza turbo alot, but what can I say....I am a Legacy man.

Chris
TRi
chris300zxtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2000, 05:04 PM   #8
PeteH
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 431
The block also has (I believe) six breather tubes incorperated into it's design, and a factory oil cooler.

Keep in mind that the article in Turbo magazine is from 1991 so all of those "new" things like *Crank journal spacing is narrowed to make a more compact and rigid,and cooling updates are in relationship to the previous 1600 and 1800cc motors.

Don't forget about the front/center/rear viscous couplers and the Japanese market style "pull" hydraulic clutch setup.

PeteH
'92 Turbo Legacy
PeteH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2000, 09:35 PM   #9
Submerk
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 116
I'm selling my car if anyone interested.
91 Legacy turbo 85,000 miles
-JCSports Turbo upgrade
-Intercooler
-Superchips
-3" exhaust mandrel bend from turbo with Apexi N1 muffler
-Field Hyper R
-Cartech fuel pressure regulator
-KYB and Intrax suspension
-ARD GT-Spoke 17" wheel
-Broward twin disk clutch
-MRT short shift kit
-MOMO PORSCHE design steering wheel
Make an offer and can send a picture through e-mail
Submerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2000, 02:47 AM   #10
Shik
NASIOC Supporter

Vehicle:
1997 LGT wagon
2015 WRX on order

Pete, the article is decieving then because the it states "appearance is deceptive( referring to the similarity in looks between the NA and turbo 2.2) as this is a purpose-built engine", then goes on to state the changes that I posted. Also, the Legacy parts book lists the crank and heads(among many other things) for the turbo seperate as a totally different part number then the N/A, making one think(in conjunction with the article) that these improvements were specific to the 2.2 turbo and not just the EJ family in general. Also, only the 91 turbos had the oil cooler( again, according to Subaru's parts book)and I do remeber seeing a 94 that didn't have one. Not ever actually taking a EJ22T apart, I could only go by what I read for now.

Submerk, what are you doing!!!? Just kidding. What are you going to get next and do you have any idea of what you'd be asking for the Legacy?
Old 01-06-2000, 10:07 AM   #11
Submerk
Scooby Newbie

Shik, I'm going back to my country in 3-4 month. I have to sell my car. I have no idea how much but I ask people around, they said $9,500 obo. Anyway, when I get back there, I'm thinking about used 95 Skyline or new Silvia.
Old 01-06-2000, 05:58 PM   #12
PeteH
Scooby Newbie

Question

Shik, do you know if the turbo crank forged? I can find no mention of this anywhere. It sucks that we have to go a 1991 magazine to get what little information we have found!

PeteH
Old 01-07-2000, 02:40 AM   #13
Shik
NASIOC Supporter

Vehicle:
1997 LGT wagon
2015 WRX on order

Pete, believe me, I know what you mean! I'm not sure if the crank is either. Next time I see my Service Mngr. buddy I'll ask him if he could call SOA's tech line in Jersey, maybe they'd know. How about the airplane guys that have taken them apart? Maybe they have an e-mail or something.
Old 01-08-2000, 06:03 AM   #14
PeteH
Scooby Newbie

Shik, I know several people who build Subes for flight, I will see if I can find out.

What about the LSD units, some say only the '91 models have three of them and the '92 - '94 models only have the center? I do know that my '92 will leave four 5 foot long black marks on the polished concrete floor of my shop, all equal length........
Old 01-08-2000, 10:18 PM   #15
Shik
NASIOC Supporter

Vehicle:
1997 LGT wagon
2015 WRX on order

Pete, from what it looks like, the vast majority of internals on the trannys( whether it be 91 turbo, 92 turbo, or even non turbos) are the same! The only major differences being the driven gears( 1st, 2nd, etc.) are turbo specific( supposedly they are shot-peened). I do know that the 91's are the only one's with the rear LSD, according to the book. I'll keep looking around though because it's been a while since I used the books so I may be missing something.

Some other interesting info is that if you were to order a brand new tranny, the 92 turbo tranny is a totally different part number. Also early 91s used one clutch, mid 91s used a different one, and late 91s and up used a different one still. Also, the clutch cylinder is different on the 91s and 92s. This does not mean that the differences are major, but then again, there were changes made for a reason. I'll try and check some old bulletins out up at the dealer one of these days. Meanwhile, I'll snoop around a bit more and see if I find anything else in the book worth mentioning.

Old 01-09-2000, 09:46 AM   #16
Submerk
Scooby Newbie

Turbo magazine mentioned that 91 have 2 LSD(center and rear) but some people just said only rear.
Old 01-11-2000, 07:23 PM   #17
Paisan
Tri-State Track Instructor

Member#: 197
Vehicle:
'14 Touareg TDI '12
Jag XJ http://48hrs.info

While your checking into LSDs, could someone check on the LSDs in the '88 XT6?

I just got one and am curious as to what if any LSDs are in it.

-mike
Paisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2000, 05:52 AM   #18
Shik
NASIOC Supporter

Vehicle:
1997 LGT wagon
2015 WRX on order

Paisan, the best place to go with your XT-6 questions is the Ultimate Subaru Message board ( http://server2.ezboard.com/bultimatesubarumessageboards ). 95 percent of the guys on that board deal with the older Subarus so I'm sure someone would know. I had an XT-6( didn't really like it a whole lot to be honest) but I can't remeber if it had an LSD or not, I don't think so though.
Old 01-13-2000, 07:16 PM   #19
PeteH
Scooby Newbie

Talking

Hey Shik, good news! Here is what the airplane guys found out about the 2.2L Turbo motors: The connecting rods are well designed forged alloy steel. They are short and stiff, measuring only 5.25 inches center to center. They are fitted with high quality 9mm ultra fine thread bolts. Bronze pin bushings are pressed into the thick walled eyes. The crankshaft is a beautiful piece. It is forged and heat treated steel and weighs only 20 lbs. Total length is only 13.5 inches. The short stroke design gives about .750 inch of crank pin vs. main journal overlap, making it very stiff. Oiling is reasonably well thought out. The crank fillets are rolled for low stress and fatigue resistance. Journal diameters are 2.36 mains and 2.05 on the rods, about average for a 2.2 liter engine. The crank is fully counterweighted, which shows that Subaru valued smoothness.

I am very pleased to find this out! The 2.2Turbo vs. 2.5na debate is now leaning heavily towards the 2.2 in my book! Of course, you could add the forged rods to the 2.5 but what do you do about the cast crank? It is cast isn't it?

The debate rages on..........
PeteH

Old 01-14-2000, 02:03 AM   #20
Shik
NASIOC Supporter

Vehicle:
1997 LGT wagon
2015 WRX on order

Good news indeed, Pete! It makes me feel quite comfortable with my 2.2 turbo, even if it does have 100k plus miles on it