Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday September 23, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Subaru Conversions

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 02-02-2006, 09:33 PM   #1
cjfike
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 60116
Vehicle:
1999 RS Coupe
Silver Thorn

Question EJ20G with SOHC 2.5 heads - ECU questions

Later this month, I am getting a EJ20G block and plan on using the stock internals.

One of the ideas was getting WRX heads and then just using a US WRX ECU.

Then the highly esteemed gentleman I am buying the block from had mentioned if he was going to keep it, he was thinking of using 2.5 heads.

This opens doors to other possibilities. High Boost Turbo, or super charging; but then the choice of ECU then potential need for major re-wiring loomed into view. Although I would like to say I have time to do re-wiring, I don't.

The car needs to remain streetable, and if at all possible I would like to use the ECU in the car now. Knowing that I would have to use add on/piggyback controls for boost, and fuel management.

Admittedly, I am crazy. However I would like your constructive input.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by cjfike; 02-03-2006 at 08:23 AM. Reason: error correction
cjfike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 08:38 AM   #2
cjfike
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1999 RS Coupe
Silver Thorn

With the number of piggyback units out there, Who is best, UTEC, Greddy, Haltech?

WOuld it be better to replace the stock ECU with one of the ECU's that connects directly to the existing wiring? The replacement ECU in this case would provide all controls. Pay the money in one major purchase, or piggyback in multiple purchases?

Wouldn't it be more desirable to have 1 ECU rather than a bunch of ancillary controls massaging the information going to the ECU?
Old 02-03-2006, 04:44 PM   #3
swapstar
*** Banned ***

Member#: 102779
Vehicle:
1998 PM if u need
JDM bits.....

um. lota stuff you are posting.

there is no aftermarket ecu that is direct plug into your 99 rs harness that i have heard of.

if doing, it might be deemed prudent to get it done all at once. if going standalone, bite teh bullet and get somthing good. stay away from teh piggybacks.

1 ecu is ideal. if you have to pass emissions it would be ideal to run the full usa WRX setup. you can outsource the wiring harness conversion, lotsa good shops that do that. then any reflash is an easy job.
swapstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 05:45 PM   #4
cjfike
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1999 RS Coupe
Silver Thorn

the engine harness would be fairly straight forward, I would be able to do that no problem. Integrating the engine harness and body harness to the ECU would be the one I would like to stay away from.

Unless you are saying they would give me one from the engine to ECU. I still need to look at WRX to RS wiring.
Old 02-04-2006, 12:27 PM   #5
cjfike
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1999 RS Coupe
Silver Thorn

moderator please move this to the tuning forum.