Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday April 18, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Legacy Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 12-15-1999, 09:29 PM   #1
Sube Doo
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 261
Post Making my outback handle

I want to upgrade the suspension on my outback station wagon with some kyb agx shoks and some eibach springs. I've heard everything from "its no problem" to "you have to change everything thing from the half shalfs to the bushings". Whats the deal. I'm not even going to wast my time trying to soup-up my Sube if I can't get it to handle. I really need some help and i would appreciate your input. I'm thinking of just putting the legacy control arms one and hoping nother breaks or doesn't work. What do you think? What would you do if you were in my situation? And don't say sell the car and get a legacy GT!!!In my parents eyes(they own the car) that isn't happening.

Thanks
Matt
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Sube Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-1999, 04:07 AM   #2
Shik
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 132
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
1997 LGT Wagon 5spd
'06 LGT 5spd Ltd Sdn

If it were my car, probably the first thing I would do is get rid of the body spacers and then get a decent set of wheels and tires, then worry about the suspension. I could be wrong but I would think that the mounting points for the suspension would not differ between an Outback and a normal Legacy, they're basically the same car. I hear the rear strut tower bar on the wagons help quite a bit as well. Take the Outback emblems off and paint the bottom of the car the same as the top and you're good to go
Shik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-1999, 06:24 AM   #3
miksmi
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 411
Vehicle:
2000 Legacy GT wagon
Timberline Green Pearl

Talking

Quote:
paint the bottom of the car the same as the top and you're good to go
LOL! Actually, I think the MY00 OB looks much better than the MY99, without the thin stripe of paint that follows the wheel wells on the MY99. But to each his/her own.

------------------
Mike Smith, 91 Legacy L wagon (FS), 60K mi, Silver Spring, MD, USA. "Ordered" 29oct1999: 2000 Legacy GT wagon, Timberline Green Pearl
miksmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-1999, 01:20 PM   #4
Sube Doo
Scooby Newbie

Shik,
you said i should replace the body spacer. What are they? sorry i don't know a lot about cars. I've talked to ralli spec and they said there isn't any problem but i emailed mike shields and he said it wouldn't work because of all this stuff. Also Eric Gannon(really nice and helpful)said it would work either. I'm curious how i can upgrade the suspension with the least amount of negative recourse.

Thanks
Old 12-16-1999, 02:05 PM   #5
Shik
NASIOC Supporter

Vehicle:
1997 LGT Wagon 5spd
'06 LGT 5spd Ltd Sdn

Sube,

The 96-99 Outbacks had 4 spacers(one at each corner I think) that raised the body an inch or so to lift it off the bigger tires and give it a more rugged look. You could check with your local Satan dealer to see exactly where they are and what is involved in removing them. If you remove them, you'd need a set of wheels and tires that better fit the now-lowered body( or just a lower profile tire at the very least). Keep in mind that I'm not even sure that the spacers are removable but if it was my car and I was serious about getting it to handle decent, it would be the first thing I'd check in to.

Maybe the best thing to do is go to a helpful Subaru dealer in your neck of the woods and have a look with the parts guy at the parts book and check part numbers on things like the control arms and such and maybe have a peek at some of the regular Legacy( pre-00) wagons and compare the suspension set-up to yours. Subaru has always had the reputation of not "reinventing the wheel" when it came to certain parts of different cars. Many things between models interchange. Hope this helps a bit.
Old 12-16-1999, 02:14 PM   #6
Sube Doo
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the advice

Matt
Old 12-17-1999, 08:06 AM   #7
John Davies

Member#:
Exclamation

I think it is important, especially with _someone else's_ car, that you not do anything really major like removing body spacers or installing non-OB suspension parts. Anything like this will most assuredly trash the resale value of the car, and it would be expensive in labor time to convert back to stock configuration. I can think of no situation where someone would want to buy a used OB that had been thusly "converted". I see weird vehicles all the time in the Auto Trader that have been so extremely modified that they cannot be sold for a fraction of their stock value.

I would suggest you limit your modifications to easily changed stuff like lower profile tires and adjustable shocks. Or talk your folks into trading it in on a new H6 GT.

As a parent I would not look favorably on my son modifying an OB in the manner being discussed. Don't get your folks mad at you!

I didn't intend this to sound like a parent berating a kid - it just leaked out that way.
Sigh.......

John Davies
Old 12-17-1999, 02:10 PM   #8
Shik
NASIOC Supporter

Vehicle:
1997 LGT Wagon 5spd
'06 LGT 5spd Ltd Sdn

Very good point John, that's why I said "if I was serious about getting it to handle decent" key word being "serious". Sure if you just want something a bit better then stock, throw some shocks on and be done with it, although I don't know how much better it can actual handle seeing that it is still as high off the ground as some small SUVs. But if Sube was serious enough to think about going through all the hassle of swapping control arms and things to get it to handle better, I assumed he had or will have the green light from his parents to do some mods. If not, then yes, it is something to think about.
Old 12-18-1999, 12:02 AM   #9
Sube Doo
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the concern. Luckyly my parents are ok with me modifying the car. They are not really that concerned with resale value. Does anyone have a dealers manual on the board that would say the difference in parts? I'm leaving sunday so i don't think i'll be able to visit my local dealership until after the new year. thats why i ask about the manual.

Thanks
Matt