Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday August 22, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Subaru Conversions

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 03-13-2014, 01:22 AM   #1
Corythomulka
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 384359
Default 1st gen usdm ej2o5 swap.. PLEASE READ!

Okay guys let me start of by saying that this is my first official posting as a subaru owner and out of all subaru forums, I chose you guys for my first started thread. Thank you so much for having me and I can't promise I won't have a lengthy first post but I have big plans ahead!!

Now down to business..
So a tiny back story about me, just sold my 2000 audi a4 quattro w/gt28rs build 235whp on 15lbs. My main reason for getting a subaru is because that's literally the only kind of car besides audi that I actually love. HOWEVER, here is my dilemma, I bought my friends bug eye wrx hatch (which I will post specs about down below) for 3 grand. Not bad considering the work done, maintenance and whatnot. BUT the problem is that I really don't really bug eyes, I'm more of a blob eye kinda guy, but only cause I can't afford an sti, nor do I want to finance a car. So i was beginning to look for alternative options and a pretty famous episode of /drive featuring two rs25 sti swapped subarus. I instantly fell in love with the idea and began researching my ass off.. These are just a few of the main links I have saved to my phone that I look over every chance I get.

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine...ing-guide.html

http://www.subaru-impreza.org/forum/...rinciples.html

http://www.rs25.com/forums/f128/t368...-sti-swap.html

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=386462

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1486051

NOW, some specs on the wrx,
> 225k miles (I'm the 3rd owner, previous owner was my buddy and the owner before us who put the majority of the miles on the car was an older gentleman who commuted to New York everyday from our area, which is a hike!)
> 5speed trans
> cobb stage 2
> new turbo,
> 9/10 interior
> brand new continental tires.
> catless up-pipe and downpipe
> 3" exhaust
> greddy type rs blow off valve
> refreshed heads
> new radiator
> new brakes

And a bunch of other general maintenance and stuff not worth too much mention ion because the car is otherwise stock and not tampered with.

Now that you know the current back story and everything, now to get into why I need you awesome people, and bear with me because I have A LOT a questions..

Since I plan on getting a 1st gen impreza, I want to try and keep the donor car as cheap as possible since I will just be using it as a swap, but also I want the one that will give me the least amount of trouble since I will be doing 80-90% of the swap with my buddy (who's ase certified) and myself.

1st question! - I'm most likely going to be getting an impreza L. I know automatic versions are a lot cheaper around my area so I'm half tempted to get one just because I could simply swap everything out with my wrx.. Is there anything that I should know about this? Like, is it going to take any extra fabrication? Is it a pretty straight forward conversion? can I use my wrx pedals or do I have to use the L's? Etccc..

2nd question! If you guys hate the idea of all that nonsense above.. Don't worry, im still considering getting a 5speed 1st gen as well, just trying to weight out all my options. So my question is, if I stay 5 speed. Do I have to swap to different pedals.. All of the mounting points the same for the wrx trans and everything else? Etc..

3rd question is more of a general question since I don't exactly know how to word it, but basically, since I'm giving my wrx a makeover into an older impreza.. Can I basically swap EVERYTHING over from the wrx without too much difficulty? Rotors, driveshafts, suspension, seats, interior, blah blah blah..... Is there anything I would actually have to keep from the L while doing the swap?

4th and final question... For now... From what I'm hearing, wiring is a killer for most people, fortunately enough there are 2 shops that are somewhat around me in New Jersey that offer a complete wiring serving for $600-$800. Which isn't too bad I guess but me trying to save money for what I have ahead, if much rather do it myself. So is there anything I have to watch out for specifically ? And also, is it basically just me hooking up the Ecu, running the wires through the car and hooking EVERYTHING up, brake lights, interior lights, speakers, dash?.... Everything? Lol OHHH lastly.. So the plugs on the harnesses match up between the wrx and L? Or do I have a lot of soldering ahead of me?

Soo! Now that the annoying part is out of the way, here comes the part you guys want to hear and I'm sure dread at the same time..

I'm doing a complete impreza wrx build! Meaning...

I want to build the bottom and top end, hot tank and balancing, new clutch, lightened and resurfaced flywheel, coilovers, roll/sway bars, brembos (possibly), bigger turbo eventually, sti 6 speed swap eventually ($3000-5000 is soo much for a trans I can't justify it at this point in time!!!) etc etc etc! You guys get the point. So what I'm asking all you fine people is... What brands, mods, accessories, bolt-ons, you name it, please tell me what you guys are doing to build your motors, how much each part costs and what kind of gains you will be hoping to make, and why you chose to do so if possible.

My current goals,
> I want it to be a DD and weekend warrior, and if the build works out the way I hope I want a track car to play around in every so often just for the hell of it because I could.
> My horsepower goals, I want it to be reliable first! However I think with the way I will be building the car, I think my horsepower goal of 300-400awhp is pretty attainable. If I can go higher I will but not if I have to sacrifice the reliability and risk putting extra unnecessary stress on the engine when it's not needed aka when I'm not on the drag strip or track somewhere.

So I think that's pretty much everything, sorry I couldn't keep my promise about trying to keep it short. But I just want to know as much as possible and do this thing right. I love imprezas and subaru as a whole. I cannot wait to post my next thread which will be the official build thread and I'll even try to do a neat little write up if possible, with pictures and videos so that way more people can experiment and have that one more link to click on as I did when I first began searching as a noob and current "noob" anyways! Thanks again and please, HELP ME OUT so this can be the best impreza in all of South New Jersey

On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 12:57 AM, Cory <corythomulka@gmail.com> wrote:
Okay guys let me start of by saying that this is my first official posting as a subaru owner and out of all subaru forums, I chose you guys for my first started thread. Thank you so much for having me and I can't promise I won't have a lengthy first post but I have big plans ahead!!

Now down to business..
So a tiny back story about me, just sold my 2000 audi a4 quattro w/gt28rs build 235whp on 15lbs. My main reason for getting a subaru is because that's literally the only kind of car besides audi that I actually love. HOWEVER, here is my dilemma, I bought my friends bug eye wrx hatch (which I will post specs about down below) for 3 grand. Not bad considering the work done, maintenance and whatnot. BUT the problem is that I really don't really bug eyes, I'm more of a blob eye kinda guy, but only cause I can't afford an sti, nor do I want to finance a car. So i was beginning to look for alternative options and a pretty famous episode of /drive featuring two rs25 sti swapped subarus. I instantly fell in love with the idea and began researching my ass off.. These are just a few of the main links I have saved to my phone that I look over every chance I get.

http://www.subaru-impreza.org/forum/...rinciples.html

http://www.rs25.com/forums/f128/t368...-sti-swap.html

NOW, some specs on the wrx,
> 225k miles (I'm the 3rd owner, previous owner was my buddy and the owner before us who put the majority of the miles on the car was an older gentleman who commuted to New York everyday from our area, which is a hike!)
> 5speed trans
> cobb stage 2
> new turbo,
> 9/10 interior
> brand new continental tires.
> catless up-pipe and downpipe
> 3" exhaust
> greddy type rs blow off valve
> refreshed heads
> new radiator
> new brakes

And a bunch of other general maintenance and stuff not worth too much mention ion because the car is otherwise stock and not tampered with.

Now that you know the current back story and everything, now to get into why I need you awesome people, and bear with me because I have A LOT a questions..

Since I plan on getting a 1st gen impreza, I want to try and keep the donor car as cheap as possible since I will just be using it as a swap, but also I want the one that will give me the least amount of trouble since I will be doing 80-90% of the swap with my buddy (who's ase certified) and myself.

1st question! - I'm most likely going to be getting an impreza L. I know automatic versions are a lot cheaper around my area so I'm half tempted to get one just because I could simply swap everything out with my wrx.. Is there anything that I should know about this? Like, is it going to take any extra fabrication? Is it a pretty straight forward conversion? can I use my wrx pedals or do I have to use the L's? Etccc..

2nd question! If you guys hate the idea of all that nonsense above.. Don't worry, im still considering getting a 5speed 1st gen as well, just trying to weight out all my options. So my question is, if I stay 5 speed. Do I have to swap to different pedals.. All of the mounting points the same for the wrx trans and everything else? Etc..

3rd question is more of a general question since I don't exactly know how to word it, but basically, since I'm giving my wrx a makeover into an older impreza.. Can I basically swap EVERYTHING over from the wrx without too much difficulty? Rotors, driveshafts, suspension, seats, interior, blah blah blah..... Is there anything I would actually have to keep from the L while doing the swap?

4th and final question... For now... From what I'm hearing, wiring is a killer for most people, fortunately enough there are 2 shops that are somewhat around me in New Jersey that offer a complete wiring serving for $600-$800. Which isn't too bad I guess but me trying to save money for what I have ahead, if much rather do it myself. So is there anything I have to watch out for specifically ? And also, is it basically just me hooking up the Ecu, running the wires through the car and hooking EVERYTHING up, brake lights, interior lights, speakers, dash?.... Everything? Lol OHHH lastly.. So the plugs on the harnesses match up between the wrx and L? Or do I have a lot of soldering ahead of me?

Soo! Now that the annoying part is out of the way, here comes the part you guys want to hear and I'm sure dread at the same time..

I'm doing a complete impreza wrx build! Meaning...

I want to build the bottom and top end, hot tank and balancing, new clutch, lightened and resurfaced flywheel, coilovers, roll/sway bars, brembos (possibly), bigger turbo eventually, sti 6 speed swap eventually ($3000-5000 is soo much for a trans I can't justify it at this point in time!!!) etc etc etc! You guys get the point. So what I'm asking all you fine people is... What brands, mods, accessories, bolt-ons, you name it, please tell me what you guys are doing to build your motors, how much each part costs and what kind of gains you will be hoping to make, and why you chose to do so if possible.

My current goals,
> I want it to be a DD and weekend warrior, and if the build works out the way I hope I want a track car to play around in every so often just for the hell of it because I could.
> My horsepower goals, I want it to be reliable first! However I think with the way I will be building the car, I think my horsepower goal of 300-400awhp is pretty attainable. If I can go higher I will but not if I have to sacrifice the reliability and risk putting extra unnecessary stress on the engine when it's not needed aka when I'm not on the drag strip or track somewhere.

So I think that's pretty much everything, sorry I couldn't keep my promise about trying to keep it short. But I just want to know as much as possible and do this thing right. I love imprezas and subaru as a whole. I cannot wait to post my next thread which will be the official build thread and I'll even try to do a neat little write up if possible, with pictures and videos so that way more people can experiment and have that one more link to click on as I did when I first began searching as a noob and current "noob" anyways! Thanks again and please, HELP ME OUT so this can be the best impreza in all of South New Jersey
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Corythomulka is offline   Reply With Quote