Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday August 23, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Interior & Exterior Modification

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2006, 05:21 PM   #1
djcttb
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 33522
Join Date: Mar 2003
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: sf/bay area, CA.
Vehicle:
07 - the next
big thing ;)

Default hks kansai rear diffuser... worth the money?

i know a lot of people will think its a waste regardless, but all the bs aside..

i hate the side profile of the wrx. the rear bumper, imo, doesnt flow with the sideskirts. it hangs signifiactly higher. looks even worse when u have a front lip.

im at a cross roads. ive been eyeing the hks kansai diffuser for sometime now. a friend of mine has an nsx with a cf rear diffuser and ive ALWAYS wanted one. when hks released theirs, i knew i was game. but im scared the diffuser will only change the rear profile of the car and not make so much of a side difference. i know when i had the 02-03 oem rear i LOVED the way it flowed with the side skirts.

basically i LOVE the look of the diffuser but dont know what it looks like with a side view (the best ive found is a 3/4 view)

is it worth the money for a small change?
or should i just invest in another oem rear?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
djcttb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 05:25 PM   #2
Vostok 7
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 30209
Join Date: Nov 2002
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Get a real car.
Vehicle:
Do you need to
read this in Braille?

Default

You barely see anything from the side other than the fins sticking down but even that isn't much.

If you want something that will make a visual impact, look at the Varis rear diffuser.

Vostok 7
Vostok 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 05:26 PM   #3
wrxzboost
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 86322
Join Date: May 2005
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Default

+1 for the varis rear diffuser
wrxzboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 05:30 PM   #4
IIdiceII
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 90438
Join Date: Jul 2005
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: New York
Default

what about the new apr diffuser? id say just go with the oem rear lip
IIdiceII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 05:35 PM   #5
Chp_Stix
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 95195
Join Date: Sep 2005
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Location: Under the hood, in the seat!
Vehicle:
1974 Rat Rod Bug
back and white

Default

Chargespeed 4th3win
Chp_Stix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 05:35 PM   #6
Lazaride
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 90336
Join Date: Jul 2005
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: AZ
Vehicle:
2004 Forester

Subaru Stars

Here is the ING @ 892.00
and


And here is the Varis @ 1500.00


you must really not like the rear
Lazaride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 05:38 PM   #7
djcttb
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 33522
Join Date: Mar 2003
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: sf/bay area, CA.
Vehicle:
07 - the next
big thing ;)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazaride
Here is the ING @ 892.00
and


And here is the Varis @ 1500.00


you must really not like the rear
the ing is a full bumper replacement, which is what im not looking for.
the varis needs a crazy kit, which i dont have and wont get.
i have an 03 so the apr wont fit.

=\
djcttb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 05:45 PM   #8
Vostok 7
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 30209
Join Date: Nov 2002
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Get a real car.
Vehicle:
Do you need to
read this in Braille?

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by djcttb
the ing is a full bumper replacement, which is what im not looking for.
the varis needs a crazy kit, which i dont have and wont get.
i have an 03 so the apr wont fit.

=\
Varis needs a crazy kit? It's no different than the H Kansai or APR units (which are nearly exactly the same) it just has those two vortex generators on the sides which you can actually see from the side view.

APR and H Kansai diffusers are real aero parts designed to create downforce on the rear. They are not for looks in any way shape or form and so they don't really show up.

Vostok 7
Vostok 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 05:58 PM   #9
djcttb
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 33522
Join Date: Mar 2003
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: sf/bay area, CA.
Vehicle:
07 - the next
big thing ;)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vostok 7
Varis needs a crazy kit? It's no different than the H Kansai or APR units (which are nearly exactly the same) it just has those two vortex generators on the sides which you can actually see from the side view.

APR and H Kansai diffusers are real aero parts designed to create downforce on the rear. They are not for looks in any way shape or form and so they don't really show up.

Vostok 7
different strokes for diff folks i suppose.
ive seen the varies one in person and it was crazy. sure u can see it from a side profile but it was a bit "out there" than what im looking for. i didnt even like it that much, esp for $1500. itd look ok with maybe a v7 lip or something to that extent, but i think itd throw a subtle prodrive lip out of wack.

i havnt seen any apr or hks in person yet, which is why im asking if its worth the money. sure, its mainly for function but for the price im expecting it to look pretty good too.
djcttb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 06:03 PM   #10
Vostok 7
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 30209
Join Date: Nov 2002
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Get a real car.
Vehicle:
Do you need to
read this in Braille?

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by djcttb
different strokes for diff folks i suppose.
ive seen the varies one in person and it was crazy. sure u can see it from a side profile but it was a bit "out there" than what im looking for. i didnt even like it that much, esp for $1500. itd look ok with maybe a v7 lip or something to that extent, but i think itd throw a subtle prodrive lip out of wack.

i havnt seen any apr or hks in person yet, which is why im asking if its worth the money. sure, its mainly for function but for the price im expecting it to look pretty good too.
It looks good, yeah, but not for what you are looking to do.

You'd be better off with the OEM rear kit. Particularly since I'm not 100% sure the H Kansai Service diffuser would fit the bugeye (much like the APR piece).

Vostok 7
Vostok 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 06:19 PM   #11
djcttb
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 33522
Join Date: Mar 2003
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: sf/bay area, CA.
Vehicle:
07 - the next
big thing ;)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vostok 7
It looks good, yeah, but not for what you are looking to do.

You'd be better off with the OEM rear kit. Particularly since I'm not 100% sure the H Kansai Service diffuser would fit the bugeye (much like the APR piece).

Vostok 7
ya i really wanted to stay away from the oem rear lip bc thats what a lot of people have. i wanted something a little different. i may just buck up and get the hks and figure out something else on making the rear a bit different.
djcttb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 06:34 PM   #12
Vostok 7
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 30209
Join Date: Nov 2002
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Get a real car.
Vehicle:
Do you need to
read this in Braille?

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by djcttb
ya i really wanted to stay away from the oem rear lip bc thats what a lot of people have. i wanted something a little different. i may just buck up and get the hks and figure out something else on making the rear a bit different.
Yeah, I've been wanting the H Kansai Service one since it came out.

I got the Cusco set which is a '06 STi diffuser with custom brackets to install it on any Subaru. I'm planning on building custom extensions to it to make it similar to the APR and HKS pieces for alot less money and out of aluminum for durability so we'll see what happens.

Vostok 7
Vostok 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 06:37 PM   #13
djcttb
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 33522
Join Date: Mar 2003
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: sf/bay area, CA.
Vehicle:
07 - the next
big thing ;)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vostok 7
Yeah, I've been wanting the H Kansai Service one since it came out.

I got the Cusco set which is a '06 STi diffuser with custom brackets to install it on any Subaru. I'm planning on building custom extensions to it to make it similar to the APR and HKS pieces for alot less money and out of aluminum for durability so we'll see what happens.

Vostok 7
damn id like to see that. im crazy about diffusers. like i said, my friend has one on his nsx and it totally changed the look of his car.

cant wait to see yours.
djcttb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 12:09 PM   #14
djcttb
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 33522
Join Date: Mar 2003
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: sf/bay area, CA.
Vehicle:
07 - the next
big thing ;)

Default

bump for more opinions
djcttb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 01:58 PM   #15
srascal36
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 42793
Join Date: Sep 2003
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Long Island, NY
Vehicle:
2005 STI
OBP

Default

I say if you want to be original, get the hks, then try and custom fit a set of 04 or 05 rear spats. Lotta work and even more money, but i think that would look amazing...
srascal36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 03:19 PM   #16
OneArmedScissor
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 18958
Join Date: May 2002
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Oakland What it do
Vehicle:
08 STi
Black as my heart

Default

i always wondered if the APR could be made to fit

get a wing that's what im considering.

WRC wing.
OneArmedScissor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 03:19 PM   #17
glilly
Magic 8 ball says Ban
Moderator
 
Member#: 7245
Join Date: Jun 2001
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Houston Underground Graphics
Vehicle:
13 BRZ
08 Avalanche

Default

Ryan, swap an 04/05 bumper on your car, then go APR.
Greg
glilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 03:57 PM   #18
GottaREX
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 43963
Join Date: Sep 2003
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NY/CT
Vehicle:
2014 Subaru Impreza
Gun Metallic Gray

Default

VARIS is a crazy rear diffuser. Super functional as well. Here's a pic on one of my friend's car and it's also a trach whore. He says that it definitely added some downforce at high speeds.

GottaREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 04:08 PM   #19
OneArmedScissor
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 18958
Join Date: May 2002
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Oakland What it do
Vehicle:
08 STi
Black as my heart

Default

yikes that looks pretty insane.
OneArmedScissor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 04:11 PM   #20
srascal36
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 42793
Join Date: Sep 2003
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Long Island, NY
Vehicle:
2005 STI
OBP

Default

LOLL. Judging by the way that guy drove at Pocono this summer, he wouldnt be going fast enough to tell if it was creating downforce or not

He must have been feeling the car out or something, because he wasnt pushing at ALL. Car did look amazing but idk what the hell he was doing...

I dont think that would flow with djcttb's car though unless he made some drastic changes, too busy..
srascal36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 04:19 PM   #21
Damon
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 2902
Join Date: Nov 2000
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Nederland TX USA
Vehicle:
89 gmc work truck
08 jeep rubicon unlimited

Default

that thing is ugly as sin, but yeah... i bet it actually really works.
Damon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 05:04 PM   #22
djcttb
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 33522
Join Date: Mar 2003
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: sf/bay area, CA.
Vehicle:
07 - the next
big thing ;)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by srascal36
LOLL. Judging by the way that guy drove at Pocono this summer, he wouldnt be going fast enough to tell if it was creating downforce or not

He must have been feeling the car out or something, because he wasnt pushing at ALL. Car did look amazing but idk what the hell he was doing...

I dont think that would flow with djcttb's car though unless he made some drastic changes, too busy..
ya thats what ive been saying. it looks too busy for the car. ive seen it in person. greg, i really dont wanna modify a 04-05 bumper. after the cost of all that + the apr diffuser i could just get the hks one and modify it for my bumper. and save on paint and labor, etc.

ive got something in mind but ill see how it goes.
but i still wanna see some kansais
djcttb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 05:06 PM   #23
djcttb
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 33522
Join Date: Mar 2003
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: sf/bay area, CA.
Vehicle:
07 - the next
big thing ;)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milin
i always wondered if the APR could be made to fit

get a wing that's what im considering.

WRC wing.
im sure it could... prob just enough modification as the hks.
im looking into buying an sti trunk/wing just to have laying around and to put on when i get bored.lol
djcttb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 05:11 PM   #24
BlackSnake
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 42850
Join Date: Sep 2003
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Glenview,IL
Vehicle:
WTB 04-07 STI
Roller/Blown Engine

Default

ooo I like the rear Mounted cooler... mmmmmm tasty
BlackSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 05:41 PM   #25
Patman015
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 106542
Join Date: Feb 2006
Default

what diffuser is avaiable for a BUGEYE?? All those pix posted are 04+ model years

ALSO, the APR diffuser is only for wide body???
Patman015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WTB: HUGE tmic, hks kansai rear diffuser, mature rear diffuser, 3 inch cutout 801_STi Private 'Wanted' Classifieds 3 04-17-2010 02:09 AM
HKS Kansai Rear Diffuser or APR Rear Diffuser: Need your OPINIONS!!! f1mania Interior & Exterior Modification 33 11-13-2007 08:45 PM
Fs: Hks Kansai Rear Diffuser!!!!!!!!!!!!!! grnbean Private 'For Sale' Classifieds 14 04-04-2006 07:40 PM
HKS Kansai Rear Diffuser Group Buy!!!! Z1 Performance Vendor 'Group Buy' Classifieds 83 02-01-2006 11:26 AM
Wanted:Used HKS Kansai Rear Diffuser for 04 WRX f1mania Private 'Wanted' Classifieds 0 12-07-2005 08:33 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.