Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday September 29, 2016
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Subaru Conversions

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 02-14-2006, 12:00 AM   #1
patr
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 97
Default 91 leg /w wrx motor - best rad ?

I know I could probably source the info by looking very hard at lots of parts books, but I thought I'd check here first.

We just finished a complete WRX swap into what was originally a 91 Legacy, it runs great. We made our own radiator setup, based on the lame single core auto one that was in it, it works fine, but I was wondering if anyone knows if there is an "OEM" rad (or cheap aftermarket - but I mean cheap) that fits that has a good core (and even nicer if it has a fitting for the upper catch/header tank - but that doesn't matter). I've got a legacy turbo one coming, so I can check that out, got lots of WRX and STi rads, but the fitment on the Legacy ones is better and I dont want to part with one of our 'nicer' rally car rads (this is kind of a budget project). I figure the j-yard is best bet, but is there a decent fitting one out there to look for ?

I know I'm being nit-picky, because you can make any tank work by just dumping the cap spring and running that hose to the header tank - but i am looking for an 'oem' look... and right now the one I'm running is an auto with the above mod. Please no flames on the "look" part...

-Pat
patr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2006, 01:42 PM   #2
Jaxx
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 177
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
The 93 W/EJ20K
Series 10 FRS

hmmmm
most conversion people have been cutting the cap which looks oem to *most* people

yahamarocket MADE a custom radiator by unclipping the end tanks from his rs radiator and reclipping them to a wrx multi core radiator
Jaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 01:46 PM   #3
Matt Monson
Scooby Guru

Member#: 832
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
99 2.5RS, '85 911
'73 914 and 2012 BRZ

in case you weren't aware, a Leggy turbo radiator will not fit without the proper radiator support crossmember on the bottom. The turbo radiator is 1 1/2-2" taller and the top mounts won't hold and the hood won't shut. I speak from personal experience. So, unless you lower the mounting at the base of the unit, it's not going to be a direct fit...
Matt Monson is offline   Reply With Quote