Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday July 13, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
North West Impreza Club
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Chapters > North West Impreza Club Forum -- NWIC

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 02-21-2006, 02:11 PM   #1
WRX-Traterrestrial
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 80358
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2005 18G EJ25WRX 6sp
Tuned by Bobby @ PRE

Default T-70 Torx Bit I can borrow?

I'm planning on changing out my transmission fluid tonight with the "cocktail" formula, but found out I have that nice T-70 drain bolt. Anybody in the PDX-Vancouver area have a T-70 Torx Bit I can borrow? I've looked around to purchase, but nobody seems to carry that big (T-60 is the biggest I can find). Thanks in advance!

- Jeff
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
WRX-Traterrestrial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 02:19 PM   #2
Noizemaker
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 84556
Vehicle:
2005 Lotus Elise
Chrome Orange

You should be able to use an Allen bit instead.

T55 = 8mm Hex, I bet T70 = 10mm. One of my other cars uses a T55 for the rear seatbelts, I got tired of stripping them, and have been just fine using an 8MM since.

I'm in Vancouver as well, I think I have a 10MM hex kickin' around if you wanna try it out.
Noizemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 02:48 PM   #3
WRX-Traterrestrial
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 18G EJ25WRX 6sp
Tuned by Bobby @ PRE

Awesome! Thanks for the tip! I actually have a 10mm and it was just a hair too small. I wonder if I could find an 11mm or 12mm and if it would work? I HATE torx bits because they are so easy to strip! I think I'll hit Sears again on my way home and see if they have some bigger allen sockets in stock! Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noizemaker
You should be able to use an Allen bit instead.

T55 = 8mm Hex, I bet T70 = 10mm. One of my other cars uses a T55 for the rear seatbelts, I got tired of stripping them, and have been just fine using an 8MM since.

I'm in Vancouver as well, I think I have a 10MM hex kickin' around if you wanna try it out.
Old 02-21-2006, 03:02 PM   #4
Noizemaker
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 Lotus Elise
Chrome Orange

Yep, I think i recall seeing 11mm when i was in there last week looking for a hex to undo the cam-gear with.

If not, maybe 3/8ths SAE might do it.
Old 02-21-2006, 08:52 PM   #5
Cone Klr
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 73072
Vehicle:
02 wrx, 04sti
WRB squared!

you can use a 10 inch pipe wrench around the outside of the bolt head works real well as long as someone didn't over tighten the bolt when they installed it.
Cone Klr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 01:32 AM   #6
Noizemaker
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 Lotus Elise
Chrome Orange

So what came of the Drain Plug? Did an 11MM remove it?
Old 02-22-2006, 12:07 PM   #7
WRX-Traterrestrial
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 18G EJ25WRX 6sp
Tuned by Bobby @ PRE

I ended up picking up a T-60 torx bit at Sears (since they'll let you return it if it doesn't work) and after checking to see if it makes a decent amount of contact with the torx bolt so not to round it I bit the bullet and went at it. What do you know! Came right off! ! So as long as a Gorilla didn't put it on there from the factory (WRX service manual says its only to be tightened 32.5ft/lbs...yes...32 Point 5 ha ha) you should have no problem using a T-60, but be careful if you try this route. Last thing you want to do is round that SOB.

So I've now got the cocktail mix in my tranny and it feels nice! Reverse is much more pleasant to get into even when the car is cold. The rest of the gears slide in with a nice reassuring notch (I've got the STi shortshift from the factory). I'm very pleased

Thanks again for the help Noizemaker!
Old 02-22-2006, 02:03 PM   #8
Noizemaker
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 Lotus Elise
Chrome Orange

Where'd you source the Syncromesh from? I tried all the usual suspects (baxter/tonys/costless) and struck out. Wound up going to Redline 75/90 instead, and i'm not pleased.
Old 02-22-2006, 10:03 PM   #9
WRX-Traterrestrial
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 18G EJ25WRX 6sp
Tuned by Bobby @ PRE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noizemaker
Where'd you source the Syncromesh from? I tried all the usual suspects (baxter/tonys/costless) and struck out. Wound up going to Redline 75/90 instead, and i'm not pleased.
I got the Synchromesh at AutoZone off of 117th. It's Penzoil who makes the GM stuff. It was less than $8 IIRC. I got the Redline Lightweight shockproof at Baxters and the Penzoil 80w90 dino oil at Costless.