Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday September 20, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 02-23-2006, 04:55 PM   #1
yellowmustang94
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 92189
Default How to modify the wastegate spring?

Anyone know the best way to modify the wastegate spring to LOWER the boost? I am putting a turbo off of my friend's WRX that we parted out onto another friend's S10 4-cylinder, but we only want to run around 5-6 psi if we can. I might just let it run the way it is at 7-8 psi, but I don't wanna screw up his truck! Is there anybody who makes a replacement spring for these turbos that would bring the boost down? Thanks!
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
yellowmustang94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 05:03 PM   #2
hondaeater69
Scooby Guru

Member#: 60324

what's WG boost on a stock td04? If that's low enough you can just loosen the C clip or run a hose stright from the compressor to the WG.

If it's not low enough just get a cheap MBC and turn it down.
hondaeater69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 05:08 PM   #3
yellowmustang94
Scooby Newbie

From what I've read on other posts the stock TD04 WG runs 7-8 psi, which MAY be okay.....So when you say to get a MBC, how can that turn it down? I thought those can only raise the boost over what the WG allows? I'm still learning but that is what I've gathered from what I've read so far. I'm getting a cheapo MBC anyway just in case we want to tune around with the boost!
Old 02-23-2006, 05:45 PM   #4
hondaeater69
Scooby Guru

yea you're right about the mbc. on the stock turbo you can play around with the length of the WG arm, it's adjustable.
Old 02-23-2006, 05:50 PM   #5
yellowmustang94
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaeater69
yea you're right about the mbc. on the stock turbo you can play around with the length of the WG arm, it's adjustable.
I had read about that, but won't that cause problems if I mess with that? Which way do I need to turn it to lower boost? I know if you are adjusting it to raise boost you have a chance of getting boost spike, but are there any problems with adjusting it down? Seems to me like it could cause a problem, but I dunno.....Thanks!
Old 02-23-2006, 06:11 PM   #6
hondaeater69
Scooby Guru

i don't know if it's clockwise or counter, but you'll know which is which when you start to turn it. honestly i'm not entirely sure what kind of results it would produce.

Regarding your original question, there are companies that make aftermarket WG assembelies, but i don't see them having WG tensions of less than 8psi. your only shot at that may be finding a smaller turbo with a weaker WG and swapping it's WG assembely (if that's even possible).
Old 02-24-2006, 08:32 AM   #7
ride5000
Scooby Guru

Member#: 32792
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2003 GGA MBP
12.9 / 105+

simple way to do it:

take a look at the many "helper spring" threads on this website.

just like all those threads, hook the spring on the wastegate flapper arm.

instead of pulling it towards the wastegate actuator, keeping the gate closed tighter, you pull it in the opposite direction (netting the opposite effect).

instant lower wastegate tension.

i would not try extending the wastegate actuator arm length, since this may prevent the wastegate from ever closing completely (ie rattling around).
ride5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 04:24 PM   #8
yellowmustang94
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ride5000
simple way to do it:

take a look at the many "helper spring" threads on this website.

just like all those threads, hook the spring on the wastegate flapper arm.

instead of pulling it towards the wastegate actuator, keeping the gate closed tighter, you pull it in the opposite direction (netting the opposite effect).

instant lower wastegate tension.

i would not try extending the wastegate actuator arm length, since this may prevent the wastegate from ever closing completely (ie rattling around).
That was my point about the wastegate not closing....is there a certain limit on how many turns to take the arm down before it starts to not close? I suppose I could just mess with it now since it's off the car and see how far I can go until the wastegate opens, right? I like the helper spring idea, but what do I clamp the spring onto? Thanks!
Old 02-24-2006, 05:32 PM   #9
JRsleeper
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 94791
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2002 WRX wagon WRB
Ver 8 EJ207 4.44's

One of my buddy just picked up a used late 90's Volvo tdo4-13 turbo for his toyota. He has Alldata at work, so he look up the factory wastegate actuator for Volvo. Alldata stated that his tdo4 volvo turbo has a 1.5 lbs wastegate actuator spring.
JRsleeper is offline   Reply With Quote