Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday August 30, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Subaru Conversions

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 02-28-2006, 08:55 PM   #1
ncskier96
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 97598
Vehicle:
1997 OUTBACK SPORT
blue over gray

Default Long term plans opinions?

After reading and researching threads for a while now i have developed some idea of what i would like to do to my MY97 obs. How ever there are a few things that i am unsure about such as engine choice, and starting point. I was planning on trying to get a wrecked 02-03 wrx and just swap everything i can from one to the other (brakes, engine, suspension, partial interior). Now i am leaning towards buying the parts i need for the swap of the motor and buy the conversion parts as i need them. here are my plans as of now.

Engine:
I have two choices as i see it i can either transplant a usdm ej20t or a usdm ej25t. I would prefer to go the 2.0 track since i would like to do some casual autox just for fun with some friends. But the 2.5 would be easy power without all the mods so i won't have to worry about reliability issues, i know the ej block is extremely stong but i put alot of miles on my cars driving to races as i do (ski racing). From the reading i have been doing with the ej20t in mind i was thinking a full tbe with electronic cutout for autox. With a small 16g to make around 280 whp with sti pink injectors and 255 walbro, all of this sounds normal to everyone who has read any thread on here. I dont know if i should go with a reflash on my ecu or get a utec so i can have multiple maps (They both cost about the same -the labor to tune the utec).

Tranny:
As for the transmision, I would prefer to go with a sti 6spd however i don't know if my funds will be able to afford it, but if i go with just a engine swap and purchase the tranny seprate then its a possibility.

suspension:
Since I travel alot on snow covered roads and other uneven terrains I would like to not drop the car. So I am going to us 21mm-22mm swaybars up front and prob 18's or so in the rear, with endlinks and, and a full poly bushing set. I was still hoping to stiffen the ride on track day so i am going with kyb adjustable struts, and either wrx or sti springs anything will be better than the springs I have currently.

brakes:
I am going with a set of slotted rotors with wrx calipers pretty basic. I am hopefully going to be able to find the knuckles and calipers from a junkyard or someone parting out a car.

That should be everything sorry for the length but i really don't want to buy somthing and figure later that i don't really need it so i'm trying to think in advance just incase i see a deal that i could use and would be helpful. Thank you for your time and your opinions good and bad. I hopefully will join the club soon enough.
Peter
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
ncskier96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 01:26 AM   #2
swapstar
*** Banned ***

Member#: 102779
Vehicle:
1998 PM if u need
JDM bits.....

hmm. swapping is fun.

figure out a budget, and make a spreadsheet on all that you want, "need", and most importantly can afford. then try to ride in everyones car that has similar specs or drive it if u can, and then you'll have some good ideas. enough guys with swaps stateside that im sure you can run into one. you can run into a bunch if you are here in cali-

h
swapstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 10:49 AM   #3
ncskier96
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 97598
Vehicle:
1997 OUTBACK SPORT
blue over gray

i wish i could be in cali but i'm not, i'm trying to go to as many scoob swaps and meets.
Is there anything about my swap that doesn't make any sense?
ncskier96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 11:54 AM   #4
swapstar
*** Banned ***

Member#: 102779
Vehicle:
1998 PM if u need
JDM bits.....

no. if you look and read, theres a guy named supermoose and one named lachlan that have chronicaled complicated swaps. NA -> JDM RHD. theres alot of info abouts. check the outs.
swapstar is offline   Reply With Quote