Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday December 21, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Legacy Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 09-26-2000, 08:16 AM   #1
cdanders
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 2321
Question Touring Wagon problems

I own a 1993 Legacy Touring Wagon "Turbo". My wife and I love the car except....

There is an intermitant problem with the car. Occasionaly it either dies or cuts out. Usually it happens when the vehicle is warm and you attempt to accelerate. It will act like it is starving for fuel and occasionally it will back fire when you are attempting to revive it.

If it happens on the highway you can usually bring it back to life by coasting and restarting or simply taking your foot off the accelerator and being patient.

The check engine light does not come on and our generic mechanic can find no computer error codes.

Items we have tried:

Replaced the fuel filter
Replaced O2 sensor
Stopped using alcohol enhanced fuel
Used strictly 91 plus octane fuel
Checked fuel pump

Any suggestions would be welcome. I am stumped. I would hate to trade this vehicle because of this problem.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
cdanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2000, 10:28 AM   #2
Shik
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 132
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2006 GT Ltd 5spd sdn
2015 WRX 6spd CWP

Cdanders, there are a few things that it could be. A good guess would be the air flow meter since 99 percent of the time they do not throw a code when they go bad. Also, does it act abnormally when just idling or only when you attempt to accelerate as you mentioned.

Knock sensors can cause the car to stumble and hesitate when they are bad but they usually trigger the check engine light. Same goes for the throttle position sensor. When was the last time you changed you plugs(what kind) and wires? Neither of which will cause a check engine light to come on( in the 1st gen Legacys anyway) but both can make a Subaru act like it's posessed, especially bad wires.

[This message has been edited by Shik (edited September 26, 2000).]
Shik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2000, 11:32 AM   #3
DLC
out back

Member#: 1964
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
05 OB XT LTD
Silver/Gray

I agree with Shik on all counts.

The TPS should give a CEL and code but not necessarily. Also replace the Cooltant Temperature Sensor as it can cause wierd things and is ~$20.
DLC is offline   Reply With Quote