Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday September 18, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Engine Management & Tuning

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 03-07-2006, 11:56 PM   #1
stephen4785
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 109429
Default P0483 DTC.Any help please

Cooling fan function problem
Im a technician and Im doing a side job for a friend.I work on VW's all day and have worked on alot of different cars but not a subaru so Im not familiar with Subarus at all. Iv got a Snap On MT2500 scanner and read the code from my friends 2004 Outback. I dont have any modules fro my scanner for after 2002 so i cant do any tests other than basic functions.
ANyway his check engine light came on and the code id a P0483(undocumented code according to my scanner) from what Iv read the code is
Cooling fan function problem. I checked all of the realays and they checked out fine. I dissconnected the sub fan and ran a ground and power wire to it and it spins but make a clicking noise when it starts and stops.It also makes the clicking when you grab tha fan blades and move them. I did these tests according to Alldata. The only thing I found that was wierd is that when I jumed the wires at fan relay #2 the main fan(pass side) comes on high speed and the sub fan(driver side) doesnt do squat. I checked te voltage at the fan and theres 12 volts going to the sub fan.According to the wiring diagram from Alldata that should make both fans spin on high. If I jumper wire fan relay #1 both fans spin at low speed.
Im just trying to make sure the fan is the problem before I fix it so I wont have to fix it for free later.
Thanks
Stephen
P.S.
The car isnt over heating at all. Im pretty sure the fan needs to be replaced>I just want to be certain cause when I have a simialr code on VW's replacing the fan/fans doesnt slways fix the problem.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
stephen4785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 12:33 PM   #2
Edmo8
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 283295

I am also having the same problem but just only when it gets down to the 20 degrees or below
Edmo8 is offline   Reply With Quote