Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday February 11, 2016
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.0L Turbo)

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 12-10-2015, 12:20 AM   #1
dlin
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 54611
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2003 WRX
silver

Default High idle

Hi all- I'm getting a high idle (normally around 2000-2200 at start up, and flip flops between that range and around 1000. When I'm driving and coming to a stop, it will rev between 2000-2500 before settling down.

Now, I am running a Grimmspeed 3-port, and admittedly I did not do my homework (thought I could run the Cobb 3-port OTS map temporarily until I got it tuned). In the meantime, I just haven't been driving the car and staying out of boost when I do. I don't think it's a vacuum leak- rechecked all the vac line connections and also sprayed carb cleaner on the outside of the lines while it was idling. I've also cleaned the IACV and changed the gasket- there was a lot of gunk in there but it's clean now and the problem did not go away.

Do you guys think it is due to running the Grimmspeed 3-port without the proper tune? I'm planning to get it tuned this month, but I wanted to make sure everything is buttoned up before doing that and get anyone's input. This weekend I'm planning to go back to the stock boost solenoid and see if that fixes it. Thanks everyone for any advice!
dlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-2015, 01:17 AM   #2
6foot4geek
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 362231
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
PSM

Yep, 3 port EBCS does require a tune. It is definitely contributing to your issue, get her in for that tune asap!

Dropping in the stock boost solenoid will verify this is the only issue, goodluck!
6foot4geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 08:07 AM   #3
Unabomber
Big Ron

Member#: 18062
Vehicle:
on car parts so PM
me b4 j00 buy

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781242 is your main issue. I'd give it another go with Level 10 attention to detail and if that doesn't work (as its a quick and easy thing to do), I'd ask a local to see if they could support a 10 minute swap of their known good IACV to see if this clears it and you'll know you have to get a new one (and those are pricey). Your car is also of the age where you will benefit from a brand new MAF just prior to your tune. Follow http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2740715 closely before/after this event as well. You will need to replace that BCS with an OEM one or get a tune....there are two Cobb tuners in Hampton Roads and several up in NOVA and if you need a recommendation, holler.
Unabomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 08:09 AM   #4
ride5000
Scooby Guru

Member#: 32792
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2003 GGA MBP
12.9 / 105+

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6foot4geek View Post
Yep, 3 port EBCS does require a tune. It is definitely contributing to your issue, get her in for that tune asap!

Dropping in the stock boost solenoid will verify this is the only issue, goodluck!
boost control has nothing to do with idle.
ride5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 05:40 PM   #5
wrx1392
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 342331
Vehicle:
2003 wrx
blue

I had a high idle ...but it was only when the car warmed up and got toasty in traffic ....turned out to be a cruise control cable was too tight . I loosened it up and has been fine. worth looking at on yours. it was easy to adj.
wrx1392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 11:58 PM   #6
dlin
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 54611
Vehicle:
2003 WRX
silver

guys- thanks so much for all the input. cleaned the sensor a couple more times but no dice unfortunately. picked up a new one (offbrand from Rock Auto) and everything is back to normal, yeah! also went back to the stock boost solenoid until I can get it tuned.

also, thanks for all the preventive maintenance suggestions, will send you a PM with more questions if that's cool.

Last edited by dlin; 01-04-2016 at 11:59 PM. Reason: added content
dlin is offline   Reply With Quote