Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday August 28, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Subaru Conversions

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2006, 02:08 PM   #1
BlueDominion
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 73591
Join Date: Oct 2004
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: In the lab
Vehicle:
Up Back in Boston
Rollin the RSX

Default Wierd thought on diesel

So I know diesel engines have MUCH higher compression ratios than gas engine, and are typically heavier to compensate. Also, they've got a couple other differences (no spark plug, direct injection, etc.) That being said, what do you guys think it would take to convert a gas engine to a diesel engine? Is it even vaguely possible? Probably not worth the effort, but I'm curious and figured it would be an interesting theoretical question.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
BlueDominion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 02:35 PM   #2
thahaminator
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 22738
Join Date: Aug 2002
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: MD
Default

In summary...it will be easier to go buy a diesel!
thahaminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 03:19 PM   #3
BlueDominion
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 73591
Join Date: Oct 2004
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: In the lab
Vehicle:
Up Back in Boston
Rollin the RSX

Default

Thank you Captain Obvious. You could tell 90% of the people that do swaps/conversions to just go buy something more similar to what they want (an STi, a different model, etc) but then they wouldn't get to do anything new and different, let alone all they learn in the process.
BlueDominion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 04:40 PM   #4
kheff46
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 66739
Join Date: Jul 2004
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Medina, Ohio
Vehicle:
2002 WRX wagon
silver

Default

subaru will make a diesel avail soon. its already made in japan avail for sale. they are the last manufacturer that makes boxers to go diesel. about time i guess!
kheff46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 10:43 AM   #5
jigga
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 9960
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: in bed...
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza WRX
WRBlue Perl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kheff46
they are the last manufacturer that makes boxers to go diesel. about time i guess!
are you sure about that?

Lat time I checked, Porsche doesn't make any diesels either...
jigga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 11:10 AM   #6
Chromer
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 20325
Join Date: Jun 2002
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
08 Yamaha WR250R
07 Suzuki DL650

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDominion
So I know diesel engines have MUCH higher compression ratios than gas engine, and are typically heavier to compensate. Also, they've got a couple other differences (no spark plug, direct injection, etc.) That being said, what do you guys think it would take to convert a gas engine to a diesel engine? Is it even vaguely possible? Probably not worth the effort, but I'm curious and figured it would be an interesting theoretical question.

Needed to convert:

Fuel system incl: Lines, pump, rail(s) and injectors.
ECU - fuel mapping on a diesel is totally different.
Remove throttle plate
Rework heads to accept direct-injectors and glow plugs and to increase compression, and to change flow characteristics.
Rework piston faces to work with new combustion chamber shape.
Probably heavier rods.
Regrind cams for optimium flow at much lower RPMs.
And then re-gear your transmission to match it to the lower and narrower power band.
O-ring the block to help head gasket handle higher cylinder pressures.
Maybe a different crank to change the rod/stroke ratio of the engine to better utilize the lower piston speeds and greater torque.

Quick list off the top of my head...
Chromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 12:36 PM   #7
kheff46
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 66739
Join Date: Jul 2004
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Medina, Ohio
Vehicle:
2002 WRX wagon
silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigga
are you sure about that?

Lat time I checked, Porsche doesn't make any diesels either...

they've built them, but dont produce them. and some volkswagons were diesels and porsches, even cylinder castings say so!

it be cool if thats what they used to out torque their uber sweet transmissions during strenght testing!
kheff46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 06:40 PM   #8
BlueDominion
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 73591
Join Date: Oct 2004
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: In the lab
Vehicle:
Up Back in Boston
Rollin the RSX

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromer
Needed to convert:

Fuel system incl: Lines, pump, rail(s) and injectors.
ECU - fuel mapping on a diesel is totally different.
Remove throttle plate
Rework heads to accept direct-injectors and glow plugs and to increase compression, and to change flow characteristics.
Rework piston faces to work with new combustion chamber shape.
Probably heavier rods.
Regrind cams for optimium flow at much lower RPMs.
And then re-gear your transmission to match it to the lower and narrower power band.
O-ring the block to help head gasket handle higher cylinder pressures.
Maybe a different crank to change the rod/stroke ratio of the engine to better utilize the lower piston speeds and greater torque.

Quick list off the top of my head...
Yeah, a lot of the things on that list have come into my head the past couple days. It would be a really tough project. Neat as all hell, though.
BlueDominion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 01:30 AM   #9
serious
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 22879
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: missoula , montana
Default

Think of the early 80's gm 350 that was a gas then reworked into a diesel; that's where diesels got a bad rap from.
Also, a 2.0-2.5 litter diesel will not have gobs of torque. My 4d55 mitsubishi engine is a 2.3 turbo diesel and only make 135 ft lbs of torque at 3500 rpm. My 6bt cummins makes 400 at around 1500 rpm.
The cummins is a diesel from the start and the mitsu engine is a reworked gaser like some of the early toyota engines.
It WILL be cool to see what subaru can do with a boxer diesel.
serious is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
01 Dodge Ram (5150RAM) goes 1,000hp on diesel and 1,450hp on diesel & nitrous anarchyx Off-Topic 21 07-21-2008 11:18 AM
Something wierd going on with my car ksskateboard Newbies & FAQs 16 08-03-2005 03:04 AM
Wierd thought creeps into my head... 4x4GGG Off-Topic 33 06-29-2004 06:33 PM
Some wierdness showing on oil pressure gauge after 30K service ButtDyno Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain 4 05-03-2004 07:15 PM
Wierd bumps on my back under the skin... HalfBaked Off-Topic 17 01-29-2003 07:56 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.