Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday December 20, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Car Audio, Video & Security

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 03-29-2006, 12:11 PM   #1
mzdrati
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 51993
Default I Need Help Installing a Powered Bazooka Bass Tube

Guys-

I have an '04 WRX Wagon. I travel a lot for work and installed an Eclipse AVN5435 navigation unit to get me where I need to be. Now I want to install the powered bazooka bass tube that I have sitting around. To do so- I need to run a wire to the battery, and another to switchable power. Can anyone suggest an easily accessable switchable power wire to tap into?

Thanks a million. This site is the best!

TONY
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
mzdrati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 01:09 PM   #2
Harley Sporty
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 108385
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2006 Impreza 2.5i
Steel Grey Metallic

If i'm understanding your question correctly you just need to connect it to the remote turn on lead from your deck. It should be a plain blue wire. Don't forget you will also need to run a ground wire and RCA's.
Harley Sporty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 02:18 PM   #3
teiva-boy
Scooby Guru

Member#: 22825
Chapter/Region: NWIC

Powered bazooka's don't even need remote turn on's IIRC. They can use line-level inputs, and turn on automatically.

You will only need constant power from the battery, ground, and a speaker level input from your rear speakers.

However, running a pair of RCA's now will save you the trouble later when you want a real sound system. Also, if using RCA's, the auto turn-on will require a remote turn on wire to be installed.

Have fun.
teiva-boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 03:06 PM   #4
mzdrati
Scooby Newbie

I appreciate the replies. As you may be able to tell- I'm NOT a big-time car audio guy, but I definitely like my tunes. The Eclipse AVN5435 is an excellent head unit (although it's a compromise as it provides fantastic navigation, and very good DVD-quality picture, as well as very good sound). I'm really installing the woofer so that I can enjoy it and get some use out of it, instead of it just sitting in my closet.

More to this particular install- The car is a wagon, and I use the wayback of the car everyday to transport my dog- the the tube will be sitting on the floor behind the driver's seat. Since the speakers are in the door, using line-level inputs (which have to come from the rear speakers, right?) are impractical, right? I can easily run a pair of RCA's from the "Non-Fader" output on the back of the Eclipse head unit to the back of the car. Other than that:

1) I'll need to run a wire through the firewall to the battery (is there a preferred place to run such a wire?)

2) I'll need to ground another wire to the chassis- probably the seat mount, right?)

3) I'll need to hook up a wire to the auto turn-on for the bazooka amplifier. Can anyone suggest a proper wire to tap into that is easily accessible for this purpose?

THANK YOU AGAIN!!!!!

TONY
Old 03-29-2006, 03:13 PM   #5
kb2spn
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 28897
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2004 STOLEN WRX STI
Blue/Gold

accessory or ignition at fusebox.
kb2spn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 03:19 PM   #6
teiva-boy
Scooby Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb2spn
accessory or ignition at fusebox.
Nope.

1. There is a hole behind the brake pedal on the driver side, and another on the passerger side up under the dash, pretty near center of the footwell. Use either. You only need a single 10ga wire for that. It's less then a 15' run, and also less then 200W peak on their biggest model.

2. Seat bolts are fine, so are seatbelt bolts.

3. The auto-turn on lead comes from the back of your deck (usually a blue wire). Not from the car's switched ignition source. This way the tube only comes on with the radio, not with car.
Old 03-29-2006, 03:46 PM   #7
problemcat13
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 73398
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
04 11 VW GTI
APR Stage 1 (300ft/lbs)

Teiva-boy has it right on #3. I haven't messed with car-audio in several years, but your head unit should have a blue wire that is used for the specific purpose of telling other amps (like your bazooka tube) to turn on. Look in the head-unit manual or online, it's usually called the "amp-remote" line.

I once had a Mistubishi eclipse GS-T, and the factory head unit was sealed up like....hoodini or something. I wanted to add additional amp/woofers to the factory 8 speaker; it had a factory amp that was controlled by a DIN cable, which meant no amp remote line. I cracked the factory amp, used a volt-meter to pin out which circuit was amp remote, and soldered a line out the end of the amp to use for my additional amp.

You shouldn't have to do anything that complicated.

Last edited by problemcat13; 03-29-2006 at 04:00 PM.
problemcat13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 04:00 PM   #8
problemcat13
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 73398
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
04 11 VW GTI
APR Stage 1 (300ft/lbs)

I went to their website (eclipse) and couldn't find documents on your 5435, but the 5500 specifically mentions a "ACC ON/OFF power supply terminal (blue/white)". This is probably it.

Disclaimer: don't take my word for it, look in your manuals for your model.
problemcat13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 04:02 PM   #9
mzdrati
Scooby Newbie

Teiva-boy - problemcat13:

Fantastic, and very clear. Thank you for ALL of your advise and input. I will collect the needed connectors and lengths of wire and attempt the install this weekend. One quick, last question- what gauge wire would you suggest for the auto turn-on?

I've said it before, and I'll say it again- this list is the best!

TONY
Old 03-29-2006, 05:46 PM   #10
kb2spn
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 STOLEN WRX STI
Blue/Gold

double post
Old 03-29-2006, 05:48 PM   #11
kb2spn
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 STOLEN WRX STI
Blue/Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by teiva-boy
Nope.

1. There is a hole behind the brake pedal on the driver side, and another on the passerger side up under the dash, pretty near center of the footwell. Use either. You only need a single 10ga wire for that. It's less then a 15' run, and also less then 200W peak on their biggest model.

2. Seat bolts are fine, so are seatbelt bolts.

3. The auto-turn on lead comes from the back of your deck (usually a blue wire). Not from the car's switched ignition source. This way the tube only comes on with the radio, not with car.
The blue/wht wire not blue is your amp turn on but he can tap acc. at the fuse box for an easier connection.Read my friend read.
Old 03-29-2006, 05:49 PM   #12
teiva-boy
Scooby Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzdrati
One quick, last question- what gauge wire would you suggest for the auto turn-on?

TONY

Many times a RCA will have a separate wire that is perfect for this purpose. It's nothing fancy, and is a <1A signal most of the time. So a 16-18ga wire will suffice.
Old 03-29-2006, 05:52 PM   #13
teiva-boy
Scooby Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb2spn
The blue/wht wire not blue is your amp turn on but he can tap acc. at the fuse box for an easier connection.Read my friend read.

I have read, and you are still not following best practice.

1. Why would you want your amp/sub to turn on with your car? It should turn on with the radio.

2. I'm not sure what wire the remote turn on is. It could be puke green for all I care. But blue is a pretty common color for a remote turn on on most headunits.

3. Ultimately, good advice was given in this thread, not just by me, but others as well.

/Thread.
Old 03-29-2006, 06:41 PM   #14
kb2spn
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 STOLEN WRX STI
Blue/Gold

I guess he wanted an easier option than taking out the radio,I wasnt debating the color.most radio has 2 turn on.one for antenna and the other for the amp.Take a deep breath.
Old 03-30-2006, 11:39 AM   #15
mzdrati
Scooby Newbie

I see where you are coming from, kb2spn. I have to take the head unit out to plug in the RCA sub outputs anyway, so I'd rather use the Eclipse remote turn-on. Thank you anyway for taking the time to try to help. There is more than one way to do a job, and the exchange of different ideas is what makes this forum so valuable.

TONY