Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday July 13, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > News & Rumors > Non-Subaru News & Rumors

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 03-31-2006, 01:04 PM   #1
NYCshopper
Scooby Guru

Member#: 5126
Default Prodrive hopes to enter Formula 1 in 2008

Prodrive hopes to enter Formula 1 in 2008

http://www.autocarmagazine.com/news_...p?na_id=219379

Quote:
Prodrive states F1 goal

Prodrive, the Banbury-based engineering firm responsible for Subaru's world rallying activities and the P2 concept car (above), has confirmed that it is intending to enter Formula 1 in 2008.

Applications for the 2008 series close today, but Prodrive boss David Richards says the time is right for his firm to step up to the top formula in motorsport. 'F1 is still regarded as the pinnacle of motorsport and therefore a natural next step for Prodrive,' he said. 'We are very much a minnow in comparison to the vehicle manufacturers who currently dominate the sport, but on the basis of the new regulations being proposed by the FIA, we believe the time is now right for us to take the next step.'

Prodrive's entry is not guaranteed, however. Only a certain number of teams can contest the series and as motorsport's governing body, the FIA will decide which are eligible. However, the relatively small scale of Prodrive's plan is likely to appeal to FIA President Max Mosley, who is keen to nurture private teams in the sport at the expense of larger, well-funded manufacturer teams.

Earlier this year, Prodrive revealed plans to develop its testing facility in Warwickshire to cope with an F1 project. But a local residents' group has been formed to fight the proposal.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
NYCshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 02:09 PM   #2
SCRAPPYDO
Scooby Guru

Member#: 873
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
2013 F150 King Ranch
Datsun 71 240Z & 68 2000

This is huge. But worrysome if you ask me. When toyota entered into F1 they left their rallying behind. I am hoping that this is not the case with SWRT. I wonder what powerplant they will use. They are develping a chassis and possibly a tranny, but the level of sophistication is colossal. I wish them luck, but spending time in F1 and lag behind the current backmarkers is not something that would appeal to me.

Kudos for having a vision.
SCRAPPYDO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 07:55 PM   #3
SubaruImpreza_power
Scooby Guru

Member#: 13910
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
1997 Legacy outback
blue

First thing that came to mind... Subaru makes a F1 come back?
SubaruImpreza_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 08:31 PM   #4
Kostamojen
Scooby Guru

Member#: 2272
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
2013 Subaru 599 :P
Galaxy Blue Sexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRAPPYDO
This is huge. But worrysome if you ask me. When toyota entered into F1 they left their rallying behind. I am hoping that this is not the case with SWRT. I wonder what powerplant they will use. They are develping a chassis and possibly a tranny, but the level of sophistication is colossal. I wish them luck, but spending time in F1 and lag behind the current backmarkers is not something that would appeal to me.

Kudos for having a vision.
My guess is Subaru will leave the WRC anyway with the new rules coming up...
Kostamojen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 08:32 AM   #5
SCRAPPYDO
Scooby Guru

Member#: 873
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
2013 F150 King Ranch
Datsun 71 240Z & 68 2000

new rules... I heard of some rumors in the past about bad rule changes, what are the details?

SCRAPPYDO
SCRAPPYDO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 09:21 AM   #6
SubaruImpreza_power
Scooby Guru

Member#: 13910
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
1997 Legacy outback
blue

Yeah I'm curious, it must be big if Subaru wants to pull out....
SubaruImpreza_power is offline   Reply With Quote