Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday August 28, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Normally Aspirated Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2005, 10:30 PM   #1
SOLUTION
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 43602
Join Date: Sep 2003
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2005 Outback Sport

Default My N/A Build

Here is my plan:

Delta reground cams
Head work by Crucial Racing
11.2:1 pistons from TWE (possibly something custom from Wiseco instead)
'05 intake manifold
Tuning by I-Speed or possibly COBB


Other current power mods:

COBB CAI
COBB Equal Length Header and CAT
Stromung cat-back
14 lb flywheel


Here are a couple pics of the Delta reground cams:




I should have the '05 intake manifold early next week and I'll send the heads out with the manifold (for port matching) after that.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
SOLUTION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 10:52 PM   #2
mrpedal
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 71361
Join Date: Sep 2004
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: SFBay
Vehicle:
2000 Impreza 2.5RS
silver

Default

What's your tuning & build plan? Bill at Ispeed said they're still ip on the EL header +HFC + CAI reflash (and you're a bit beyond that), and well, Cobb's access port is... late. I saw your post on wrxforum about the ecu conversion, but no replies yet.

Interested in the details on all of it- what info can you share?
mrpedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 06:23 AM   #3
X4 SRT
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 40636
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Las Vegas
Vehicle:
2001 2.5 RS Coupe
Silver

Default

Very nice! Good to see someone doing some nice N/A mods. Where did you find the 05 manifold? What did you pay for it?

As for tuning don't even wait for cobb. They are never going to have anyting for our car. They may say they are going to, but I've been hearing that for almost three years now.

Go with the reflash from Ispeed. They are going to need a car with these mods for other people. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that you will see 180whp with all those mods done.

As for I-speeds reflash for I/H/E, I'm going to give him a call, because I'm dead set on getting it done to the car right after the new year. I'm going to drive down there and let Bill have at it. I'll let everyone know how everything goes once everyting is said and done. I talked to Bill when he was out here for SEMA, and he says he should be able to get 150whp with tuning and bolt on's.
X4 SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 08:16 AM   #4
LetItSnow
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 38222
Join Date: Jun 2003
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Cicero, NY
Vehicle:
'10 &'12 Foresters
another Miata convert

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by X4 SRT
As for tuning don't even wait for cobb. They are never going to have anyting for our car. They may say they are going to, but I've been hearing that for almost three years now.
+1

Promises, promises. My latest guess as to when it will be released is here, in the thread on their forum where we've been trying to get them to tell us anything at all about the progress of NA electronic applications.
LetItSnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 10:06 AM   #5
SOLUTION
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 43602
Join Date: Sep 2003
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2005 Outback Sport

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by X4 SRT
Very nice! Good to see someone doing some nice N/A mods. Where did you find the 05 manifold? What did you pay for it?

As for tuning don't even wait for cobb. They are never going to have anyting for our car. They may say they are going to, but I've been hearing that for almost three years now.

Go with the reflash from Ispeed. They are going to need a car with these mods for other people. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that you will see 180whp with all those mods done.

As for I-speeds reflash for I/H/E, I'm going to give him a call, because I'm dead set on getting it done to the car right after the new year. I'm going to drive down there and let Bill have at it. I'll let everyone know how everything goes once everyting is said and done. I talked to Bill when he was out here for SEMA, and he says he should be able to get 150whp with tuning and bolt on's.
The only problem with I-Speed's reflash is that they will need to physically be here to tune it and I'm in NH. I might be able to convince him to fly out if enough people wanted their car dyno tuned.

I snagged the '05 manifold, with all wiring and sensors, off Ebay for $100
SOLUTION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 06:12 AM   #6
X4 SRT
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 40636
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Las Vegas
Vehicle:
2001 2.5 RS Coupe
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLUTION
The only problem with I-Speed's reflash is that they will need to physically be here to tune it and I'm in NH. I might be able to convince him to fly out if enough people wanted their car dyno tuned.

I snagged the '05 manifold, with all wiring and sensors, off Ebay for $100
I don't really see how them haveing to be there is a down side. That means that you're car will be tuned for exactly what you have. It will be the best tune you can get. Way better than an off the shelf tune. Hell, at least I-speed has a reflash. Cobb has nothing for the older cars. '

Does cobb have somthing for the newer RS's? Yes they do. Ryan from subiesport is running it. I know this for a fact. I talked to him when he was in Vegas for SEMA, and he said he was going to Cobb to test out the beta version of their RS reflash. When I asked Ryan if he knew they were coming out with a flash for the older Imprezas, he basically said "I could give a s***!" It was all about his car, and he didn't seem to care about anyone else in the subie community. As long as he got what he wanted. As far as I'm concerned the guy can shove his magazine up his ass.

BTW. Nice find on the manifold.
X4 SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 10:29 AM   #7
SiFuSpEc
Top Scoob 008
 
Member#: 77299
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Bedford, Ohio
Vehicle:
'05 2.5RS
#78 ST, MAXIMUM ATTACK!

Default

Can't wait to see the finished numbers
SiFuSpEc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 11:04 AM   #8
SOLUTION
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 43602
Join Date: Sep 2003
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2005 Outback Sport

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by X4 SRT
I don't really see how them haveing to be there is a down side. That means that you're car will be tuned for exactly what you have. It will be the best tune you can get. Way better than an off the shelf tune. Hell, at least I-speed has a reflash. Cobb has nothing for the older cars. '

Does cobb have somthing for the newer RS's? Yes they do. Ryan from subiesport is running it. I know this for a fact. I talked to him when he was in Vegas for SEMA, and he said he was going to Cobb to test out the beta version of their RS reflash. When I asked Ryan if he knew they were coming out with a flash for the older Imprezas, he basically said "I could give a s***!" It was all about his car, and he didn't seem to care about anyone else in the subie community. As long as he got what he wanted. As far as I'm concerned the guy can shove his magazine up his ass.

BTW. Nice find on the manifold.

My point about I-Speed having to be here as a downside is purely logistical - I'm in NH, they are out west somewhere. Also, they haven't solved the P0420 CEL yet, which I'll need for inspection.

I figured that the SubieSport project car was running the COBB product. I'm currently investigating how hard it would be to switch to the '05 ECU. With COBB's product, any licensed COBB dealer could do the tuning, and I'd imagine (not confirmed) that it would solve the P0420 CEL.


More reading:

Converting to '05 ECU: http://www.wrxforum.com/cgi-bin/ulti...c;f=4;t=001629

Info on older RS reflash:

http://www.wrxforum.com/cgi-bin/ulti...08;p=16#000238

COBB anouncement:

http://www.wrxforum.com/cgi-bin/ulti...030;p=1#000008
SOLUTION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 01:25 PM   #9
Burton4g63
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 85779
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Camp Hill/ Harrisburg, PA
Vehicle:
2005 2.5 RS Sport
Black

Default

ibicantwaittoseenumbers!
Burton4g63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 01:47 PM   #10
CitySubie
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 60099
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: N.Y.C.
Vehicle:
2003 Impreza RS
The perty blue one

Default

SOLUTION,
Does your headers have the same flat spot on the inside like mine? Cobb said they are all like that. Not a big deal. Since X4 SRT and LetItSnow mentioned their "promise" for tuning, just curious to see the extent of them talking $h!t.
http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/we...ZkMzF5NTQx.jpg
http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/we...ZkMzF5NTQx.jpg
CitySubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 01:50 PM   #11
linux>windows
*** Banned ***
 
Member#: 49517
Join Date: Nov 2003
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Downtown Grand Rapids, MI
Default

put those links in " [IMG] [/IMG]" brackets...
linux>windows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 02:23 PM   #12
Blase M
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 84955
Join Date: Apr 2005
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: chicagoland IL
Vehicle:
2000 impreza rs
blue

Default

y the 05 intake maniflod, does is flow better? sorry, kinda a noob, shh dont tell no one..
Blase M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 03:04 PM   #13
SOLUTION
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 43602
Join Date: Sep 2003
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2005 Outback Sport

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitySubie
SOLUTION,
Does your headers have the same flat spot on the inside like mine? Cobb said they are all like that. Not a big deal. Since X4 SRT and LetItSnow mentioned their "promise" for tuning, just curious to see the extent of them talking $h!t.
http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/we...ZkMzF5NTQx.jpg
http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/we...ZkMzF5NTQx.jpg


Yep, that's normal.
SOLUTION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 03:05 PM   #14
SOLUTION
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 43602
Join Date: Sep 2003
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2005 Outback Sport

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blase M
y the 05 intake maniflod, does is flow better? sorry, kinda a noob, shh dont tell no one..
Yes, better flow. Larger runners.
SOLUTION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 08:45 PM   #15
SOLUTION
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 43602
Join Date: Sep 2003
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2005 Outback Sport

Default

I ordered the 11.2:1 compression ratio pistons with rings, clips, and pins today from boxer4racing. Should be about 3 weeks before I get them.
SOLUTION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 01:19 AM   #16
ricochet
Driving Sports TV Staff
 
Member#: 15542
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Kirkland, WA
Vehicle:
1991 Legacy Sedan

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by X4 SRT
When I asked Ryan if he knew they were coming out with a flash for the older Imprezas, he basically said "I could give a s***!"
The more accurate paraphrase was, "I'm glad I'm getting it on my RS, though I don't know when it's going to be available to the general public." And yes, it's future tense. Nothing public to announce in that regard yet.

Maybe I shouldn't try to joke about reflash availability. Obviously a sensitive topic.

Ryan
ricochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 09:54 AM   #17
ImprezaRallystyle
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 48918
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Ste-Agathe-Des-Monts
Vehicle:
2006 Forester XT
1993 impreza RALLY

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLUTION
I ordered the 11.2:1 compression ratio pistons with rings, clips, and pins today from boxer4racing. Should be about 3 weeks before I get them.
are you getting some work done to the crank cuz i'm having a motor built by TWE with the same kind of piston and they told me that without crank turning there's no way it's gonna be reliable.
ImprezaRallystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 10:09 AM   #18
CitySubie
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 60099
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: N.Y.C.
Vehicle:
2003 Impreza RS
The perty blue one

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by linux>windows
put those links in " [IMG] [/IMG]" brackets...


CitySubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 11:24 AM   #19
SOLUTION
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 43602
Join Date: Sep 2003
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2005 Outback Sport

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImprezaRallystyle
are you getting some work done to the crank cuz i'm having a motor built by TWE with the same kind of piston and they told me that without crank turning there's no way it's gonna be reliable.

No crank work. TWE didn't mention that to me - maybe they're too busy to take the time to - it took a month to get a reply to my e-mail.
SOLUTION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 11:48 AM   #20
ImprezaRallystyle
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 48918
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Ste-Agathe-Des-Monts
Vehicle:
2006 Forester XT
1993 impreza RALLY

Default

well i had all the job done over there, i was planning on doing it with some local shop but it was almost the same price.i have talk with Tom over the phone (i usually talk with josh ) he told me that if you only put forged piston in a n/a bloc without turning the crank it won't last.( like we all know subaru have a weakness on crank insert ) he also told me that every engine that they put forged piston in, they do the crank job on it.

and if you order your piston from them be patient, plan it for a winter project...


as for tuning, have you decided what ecu you'll go with??

i have perfect power smt6 install in mine and very easy to used and tuned only need a wideband o2 sensor ( i go to the shop who sell it to me ) usually take them an hour to refine tuning after a lot of modification and it took about 2 hour the first tuning we did. ( already had a few mod...)

take care and good luck in your project, i should receive my short bloc from TWE by middle of next week.

Last edited by ImprezaRallystyle; 12-20-2005 at 11:55 AM.
ImprezaRallystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 01:38 PM   #21
Matt Monson
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 832
Join Date: Jan 2000
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Teh Ghetto Garage, CO
Vehicle:
99 2.5RS, '85 911
'73 914 and 2012 BRZ

Default

The liabilty of the PP is the redline. Both Solution and I want a 7000rpm redline with what we are currently doing. I didn't put up a thread, but he and I are currently doing very similar builds. Mine is just going a little slower. I am going to install my new heads and build another complete shortblock with the piston in it. I kind of want to see what each step yields powerwise. Also, I am using an STi manifold instead of the '05 manifold...
Matt Monson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 04:03 PM   #22
SOLUTION
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 43602
Join Date: Sep 2003
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2005 Outback Sport

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImprezaRallystyle
well i had all the job done over there, i was planning on doing it with some local shop but it was almost the same price.i have talk with Tom over the phone (i usually talk with josh ) he told me that if you only put forged piston in a n/a bloc without turning the crank it won't last.( like we all know subaru have a weakness on crank insert ) he also told me that every engine that they put forged piston in, they do the crank job on it.

and if you order your piston from them be patient, plan it for a winter project...


as for tuning, have you decided what ecu you'll go with??

i have perfect power smt6 install in mine and very easy to used and tuned only need a wideband o2 sensor ( i go to the shop who sell it to me ) usually take them an hour to refine tuning after a lot of modification and it took about 2 hour the first tuning we did. ( already had a few mod...)

take care and good luck in your project, i should receive my short bloc from TWE by middle of next week.

What exactly does TWE do to turn the crank? I'm not sure what that means.

My options for management are either I-Speed or COBB - I had the smt6 and sold it.
SOLUTION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 08:38 PM   #23
Rally_wgn
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 62629
Join Date: May 2004
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Richmond,VA
Vehicle:
1996 OBS in Green
2.5 N/A w/ full exhaust

Default

I am very interested in your engine build as I have similar plans once my 2.2L dies. Keep us posted.

Last edited by Rally_wgn; 02-24-2006 at 11:35 AM.
Rally_wgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 08:50 PM   #24
SOLUTION
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 43602
Join Date: Sep 2003
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2005 Outback Sport

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Monson
The liabilty of the PP is the redline. Both Solution and I want a 7000rpm redline with what we are currently doing. I didn't put up a thread, but he and I are currently doing very similar builds. Mine is just going a little slower. I am going to install my new heads and build another complete shortblock with the piston in it. I kind of want to see what each step yields powerwise. Also, I am using an STi manifold instead of the '05 manifold...

Yeah, the redline is one major downside plus it can't take care of CELs. I also would like the closed loop tuning for improved throttle response and gas mileage - this is afterall a street car.
SOLUTION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 09:11 PM   #25
simple monkey
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 81067
Join Date: Feb 2005
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: port orchard, WA
Vehicle:
1989 RX, FX16
both white

Default

have you thought about putting on a set of carbs or ITBs? not huge gains of power, but throttle response will greatly improve, plus it will sound great.
-Victor
simple monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My PC and Building one StealthfishWRX Off-Topic 1 10-28-2004 12:27 AM
For those that have been following my Custom Coilover Build STiTuner Brakes, Steering & Suspension 13 08-20-2004 03:47 AM
My 02 4EAT build-up: Next step advice? DrBoy01 Normally Aspirated Powertrain 15 07-15-2003 03:07 PM
Well thats it! I'm selling my truck and building a garage! Camperguy New England Impreza Club Forum -- NESIC 20 02-24-2003 08:23 PM
My 2.5 build will be complete in 1 week!! Need expert opinions! dcoty Normally Aspirated Powertrain 18 08-14-2002 10:30 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.