Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday November 26, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Legacy Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 05-03-2000, 06:07 PM   #1
PeteH
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 431
Thumbs up TSD rally's, Woo Hoo, too much fun

TSD rally's? If you have never tried one of these you
absolutely MUST! If you like driving your sube at a 'brisk' pace you owe it
to yourself to try one of these events. Going into the events I wasn't sure
it would be very exiting, with top speeds all under the posted speed limits
it didn't sound to challanging. Boy was I WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Both of
the events I attended were labeled as "Brisk", which meant (in my case anyhow :-)
performing 4-wheel powerslides from 9am to around 6pm both Sat and Sun, I
have this perpetual grin on my face that I can't seem to wipe off! With the
help of my expierenced navigator I managed to pull off a second place finish
on Sat and a first on Sun in the SCCA Central division, NOT in novice class mind you, but against some
seasoned veterans, even with the two flat tires!! Woo Hoo!!!!!!! Not bad for
the first time

The stock '92 Turbo Legacy with 138,000mi never missed a beat, actually it
performed astonishing well under these conditions, thanks to the KYB/AGX
struts set at 3-front and 6-rear along with the stock springs. I was always
able to maintain control, even when entering the gravel corners WAY to hot. During the rally I found the AGX's well up to the task, the car never
bottomed (even with the stock springs) and wheel motion was very well
controlled. I have a little more body role than I care for but I am unsure if
bigger sway bars would be a good or a bad thing.......................

I also made some BIG mud flaps/stone gaurds for the front using some
low-density polyethylene (LDPE). I bought a 1/8" thick piece 24"x48" for $15
at www.mcmaster.com They protected the sides and bottom of the car from the
gravel very well.

I also discovered that the Pirelli M&S tires I used, while providing good
traction punctured too easily, probably a fluke as a 16 penny nail caused
the first and an unknown object caused the second. Nobody else suffered any
flats, beginners luck I guess :-/ I was running 44lbs front and 38lbs rear
and was very happy with them otherwise.

Later,
PeteH

Am I hooked? You had better believe it!!

* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
PeteH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2000, 02:40 PM   #2
Shik
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 132
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2006 GT Ltd 5spd sdn
2015 WRX 6spd CWP

Pete, glad to hear it was so much fun. I was all psyched to do my first one earlier this year when it was cancelled at the last moment. Also good to hear the Legacy worked flawlessly.
Shik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2000, 01:02 AM   #3
Ben
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 423
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Vehicle:
2002 WRX wagon
Silver

Hi Pete, I was thinking the same way as you are!! I ran TSD rally for 3 years with my 92 Legacy turbo (same as yours) and right now, I think its time to change the suspension!
I was thinking to put a OEM WRX Bilstein shocks and OEM springs, since the Bilstein is make for WRX (its an upside-down shocks),but I can't find any in Canada, so I'm thinking the put the AGX w/ Eibach springs! Could you tell me more about the setup you did? Will the rock hits to your oil pan? Will it makes you drive hard in daily driving? I would like to looking for a suspension that could fits to daily drive and rally use!!!
Thanks for your reply and have fun on TSD rally! (^_^)
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2000, 06:20 AM   #4
PeteH
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 431
Talking

Shik: Even if you have to drive several hundred miles to run a TSD you owe it to yourself to try it, my navigator drove over 400mi to run this event! If at all possable try to find an expierenced navigator for your first run, the information you gain will be invaluable and will make your first try much smoother

Ben: For the money I don't think you can beat the AGX's, example: on our tire warm-up/timing run I felt the dampning should have been stiffer, no problem - in under 1 minute I had adjusted all four struts from 2fr and 4rr to 3fr and 6rr, ahh - perfect for the roads/speeds I was traveling. Yes, I am still using the stock springs for two reasons, most springs available are lowering springs, we don't want those! I want to go approx. 10% stiffer then the stock springs but I don't know what the stock spring rate is to begin with! The previous owner must have been pretty heavy as the drivers side of the car sits about 1/2" low, so I am looking for springs as well. With the stock springs/AGX combo the 'ride' quality has all the adjustment you could want, at the softest setting the car rides as soft as the stock setup, at 3fr/6rr it is good for 'brisk' rally's. I inadvertantly set the rears to '8' and she was STIFF! During the rally I never 'bottomed' the car, the main reason I want the stiffer springs is to better control the amount of body roll.
PeteH is offline   Reply With Quote