Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday September 18, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Legacy Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 04-16-2000, 10:29 PM   #1
GTMAN
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 480
Vehicle:
1998 Legacy GT Wagon

Have a Nice Day? Almost wiped out

I was driving home after dropping of my friend at his house when this old early 80's Mustang convt. just pulled out from a GAS station oversteered and stuck his nose into into the middle lane which I was on. He overshot the right hand lane cus probably he was powerin thru to get on the road with a large turning radious car.....or he just does not know how to drive.

The guy.....undomesticated looking...put the nose of the car 1/3 fo the way into the middle lane within 20 feet of me while I was cruisin at 45-50 mph, and then struggled to get it back into his right lane. I went into panic mode and swerved like extremely quickly...like one of those quick twitches..... and waited to hear the whole right side of my car getting scraped. I did not even think of if another car was on the left lane to me.

So I get the car back on course....no prob...and I hear screaching. I looked in my left side view mirror and I see this old car with too women just lockin up their brakes with their car barely inches from my left rear fender. So I slide back to the middel of my lane instantly.....wheeeuuw.....Realize that the car was intact and thanked god that nothing bad happened.

I noticed the women were describing to each other what really happened that caused me to swerve and freak them out....I believe they were telling each other the mustang caused me to do what I did from their hand gestures.....definately did not look like they were giving me the finger.

I always try to keep within my lane even if I swerve, but this time, I actually had my left tires just past the lines between left and middle lane.

God was I lucky....the car just did what I asked it to do with control - I think I should have pulled it back into the middle lane just a bit more. I had my AGX's on 2f/5r for the freeway drive I had earlier on the day. So that may have helped keeping the car firm.

Who knows.....no matter how you prepare for things, what happens, happens. Stuff like this is all about luck. You can drive as safely as possible, and keep your car as well as you can, but other people just seem to be jerks. And if the jerk did not hit me, but I hit the the people in the left lane, then I would be at fault.

Anyway....just needed to tell someone. Everything is cool and hope all of you & fam and your subies are safe on the roads.

GTMAN

* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
GTMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2000, 08:30 AM   #2
Sebastian
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 829
Cool

Glad that you made it out! I have had a few interesting close encounters. Driving such a dynamic car ('99 Legacy 2.5 GT EAT) can put you into strange circumstances. As great as the car is and as smart as it can be, I find it is difficult to try and determine if surviving such situations was in thanks to the car, the driver, or just pure luck. I don't believe that I have been in a situation where it was clear that "the car (my Subaru)" saved my life. It responds well and does what I tell it to do (18mm anti-sway bar helps); but my life is in most part still in the hands of my driving and fate. I am sure that there are others that can swear that their Subaru and the AWD system saved lives. But in most circumstances, its probably luck.

I have been dissapointed in some cases by Subarus' AWD. I am still trying to understand its logic and tolerences (and differentiating it from Quattro technology). Being 4EAT is different then its MT representation. In many cases I find that the vehicle turns into more pure RWD, and this forces me to compensate differently. But it is difficult to find detailed information on this AWD system and its internals. If I could anticipate how the car would react, I could use it better. This still takes time and practice.

Drive safely.
Sebastian is offline   Reply With Quote