Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday March 30, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Canada Region Club
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Regional Areas > Canada Region Forum > Western Canada

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 04-15-2006, 06:23 PM   #1
Claw
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 91576
Default Rim and Tire Recommendation?

I'm in the market for a new set of rims and tires. I'm posting this here because I'd like to hear about some opinions from those living in the same areas.... anyways, cutting to the chase.

The current OE rims are shod with Nokian WR's for winter, so I need a new set for summer. What's a good summer tire that combines good dry performance with the occasional rain/standing water wet performance?

I drive mostly in Calgary, with the bi-weekly trip to the mountain parks and the occasional trip up to Edmonton.

Now, knowing the road conditions in our prairie cities aren't the best. The OE size is 17x7. Would you recommend going with 18"s, or staying with 17"s?

I am just digesting some info I've gleaned from various car forums - so my understanding is that 18s give you
a.) better clearance for brakes
b.) more sidewall resistance due to lower profile tires ( but possibly worst tramlining* )
c.) improved aesthetics ( arguable )

* what's tramlining?

I'm not sure I'll be upgrading the brakes to a Rotora BBK or STI take-offs quite yet either, so a.) is debatable and I do like the look of 17" rims.

I'm also quite worried I'll miss avoiding a pothole or bump in the road, leaving me with a dented or cracked rim.

The rims I'm comsidering are the OZ Superleggera's if I stick with 17", or Prodrive PFF7's if I go with an 18".

As for tires, I've heard good things about Toyo T1R's and Falken FK451/452's and ST115's.

Thoughts?
Claw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-2006, 01:18 PM   #2
silverscooby02
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 84418
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Vehicle:
2002 BMW 328i
BSM

hi claw,
don't know if you've purchased anything yet and i'm no expert but i can give you my info. i was running 18.7.5 gramlight 57pros w/ 225/40 kuhmo ecsta's. grip was awsome, the car seemed to follow grooves in the road a little more than w/ the standard 16 wrx rims (is that tramlining?) ride was a lot rougher than stock, though i'm sure the DMS coilovers i had in was the majority of the prob there. pot holes didn't seem to be a prob (coming from T.O). just my 0.02.
silverscooby02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 12:57 AM   #3
Claw
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 91576

Thanks.

Guess my post was too lengthy for people to read and reply.

I've settled on some Prodrive PFF7s shod with Falken Azenis ST-115's.
Claw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 11:01 PM   #4
Diabolical1 CC
*** Banned ***

Member#: 59897

Ask Luke in the tire section. He is from tirerack.
Diabolical1 CC is offline   Reply With Quote