Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday April 28, 2015
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Legacy Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 08-10-2000, 07:17 PM   #1
PeteH
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 431
Talking FREE cold air induction for Turbo owners....

I thought I would share my mod with my fellow Turbo Legacy owners.

Have any of you ever looked at the 'in-fender' intake tract of our cars? Quite restrictive, here is what I did.

Inside the passenger side fender (pull the inner fender down) is a large 'box' that has two tubes - one goes to the airbox and the other goes out of the box and stops in the inner fender. The box can be unscrewed to expose the tubes, put the box on a shelf in your garage. Now that the restriction is removed we need to get cold air into the front fender. You can achieve this two ways, simply remove the black plastic 'fake-vent' and presto, cold air intake. If you happened to install fog lights in front of the fake vents like I did you can drop the front section of the inner fender down below the front bumper cover about 1 to 2 inches for the fresh air 'scoop'. It isn't real noticable unless you are looking for it.

I have driven my car in some VERY heavy downpours with no ill effects.

Next step would be to replace the stock inner fender tube with a larger diameter more directly routed job, but this may cost a few dollars
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
PeteH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2000, 10:17 PM   #2
DLC
out back

Member#: 1964
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
05 OB XT LTD
Silver/Gray

Sounds interesting, might have to try that!
DLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2000, 02:07 PM   #3
Shik
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 132
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2006 GT Ltd 5spd sdn
2015 WRX 6spd CWP

Splendid job Pete, but what about us 91 guys( our turn signals are where your fake vents/fog lights are ) ? Seriously, I have a cold air tube( aka dryer hose ) connected to the tow hook and it runs right up through the plastic fender well and into the engine compartment aiming towards the intake. I'm not sure if it made a difference for you, but I can surely tell since before that, the intake was sucking in the hell-like engine compartment air. Cold air is good!

Shik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2000, 06:16 AM   #4
Flatfour
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 906
Wink

Yep , I did nearly the same about 6 months ago. Added a KN oil filter at the same time. Very impressive gains concidering the cost. The only difference is that I plumbed it all the way from the front hole to the fender hole. No problems with rain either, although I drilled some holes in the bottom of the tube just in case.
Flatfour is offline   Reply With Quote