Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday March 18, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Legacy Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 05-29-2001, 08:28 AM   #1
RandyF

Member#:
Thumbs up STi Group N Engine and Tranny Mount Install (2000+ GT)

Last week I picked up a set of STi Group N engine and Transmission mounts from Cobb Tuning, and we dropped them in this friday. Wow, let me tell ya, these make an amazing difference. There are a couple of issues installing them in the 2000 GT, but in the grand scheme of things they were not a big deal to get in.

We followed the instructions on the i-Club E&T Mount Mod Page with only a few small changes, well, one kindof "large" change, but don't be discuraged by that. The only problem is that the 2kGT engine mounts are completly different, they are round, one-piece units, that have an offset/mirrored mount pattern. The Impreza/STi mounts are square with "centered" mounts. You will also have to buy four nuts that will lock the new mounts together, since we can't re-use (we dont have) the stock nuts.

So, follow the directions as per the mod page as far as removing the stock mounts. You will see right away what the differences are. If you have not run to the hardware store by now, borrow someones car and go get the nuts to lock the new mounts together.

The best thing to do now is to eyeball the fitting of the new mounts by holding them up to the engine block and looking up throught the slot-mounts in the crossmember. On my car, the driver's side (left) mount fit bolt-to-bolt at the bottom the stock crossmember slot-mount, but the passenger's side mount (due to the mirrored nature of the original mounts) wanted to sit at the top of the slot-mount. Here is where our problem lies. Due to the shape of the cross-member, we have what Jim(euroauto) called a "square-peg-round-hole" problem". You can see where the new mount wants to catch on part of the cross-member and will not sit flush, so we have to cut! We took off about 3/4 inch of outside-bottom-edge of the STi mount with a hacksaw, and cleaned up the edges with a file, and [emeril]BAM[/emeril], it fit right in.

Reverse the instructions, and drop the motor into place, and that is all it takes for the engine mounts. The tranny mount is bolt-to-bolt as per the Impreza instructions, which took about 10 minutes to install.

I'd like to claim that I did all this myself, and did not need any help, but that would be a big lie. Mike(MaddMaxx) and Dave(david2z4) were instrumental in making this happen (thanks to mike for vast experience in doing this stuff, and to Dave for the garage and tools). Mike is great to work with, just don't get in his way, and keep your eyes open, you will learn a lot!

Driving impressions: Pros: It took me a while to pick my jaw up off the ground after this mod. The "result/cost ratio" for this mod far surpasses the short-shifter and rear swaybar. There is no more "bounce" from the tranny when you shift, it no longer feels like the car has to catch up to the drivetrain. It is infinitly more possible in "commute" or parking lot situations, I can actually drive at 800rpm in first and smoothly vary speed (if you are a 2kGT owner, you should know how nearly impossible that is to do). The car is now *very* predictable and responsive, and shifts are *dead-on* every time (cant blame tranny-slop for missed-shifts!) This even cleared up what I thought was "suspension slop", it actually feels like the suspension is tighter now, but that is just because the drivetrain and chassis are one unit now. Cons: Engine noise and Vibration. Granted, that is what the floppy mounts were there for in the first place, to isolate all the engine noise and vibration. You *really* feel the motor now (that is a pro and a con), and there is a bit of a resonance at idle in the cabin, nothing that turning up the stereo one more notch does not solve though.

Overall the car feels more "mean" now, and really feels like it is out for performance driving. I was talking to Mike, and he said that just doing the tranny mount would clean up most of the slop (when you see the stock tranny mount you'll see why), and that is all you should really need (and you probably would not get most of the increase in cabin noise). But like Jim(euroauto) said, this mod would be a deal at twice-the-price! Highly reccomended for everyone!

Let me know if you have any questions. I dont have any picures, and anything I would have taken would be duplication of the pics on the mod page.

A

[This message has been edited by RandyF (edited May 29, 2001).]
Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2001, 07:42 PM   #2
Legacy STi L

Member#:
Congrats on the install, glad to hear that your Leg made it through the operation in one piece. This is a real dumb question but is there such a thing as transmition mounts for the 4EAT? The JDM Blitzen with its auto tranny, does it have any special "improvements".
TIm
Old 05-30-2001, 07:12 AM   #3
RandyF

Member#:
Not a dumb question, and not one I have the answer for. The Cobb Tuning page only has the 5MT parts, and he would have anything that he could sell!

I'll ask around, and maybe look at Max(Bateau)'s car and see how the tranny is mounted...

A