Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday April 18, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Legacy Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 04-03-2000, 11:37 PM   #1
Ben
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 423
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Vehicle:
2002 WRX wagon
Silver

Post Which one is the best??

People,could someone tell me which kind of intercooler is the best for our 91-94 legacy turbo?
I could find an water to air / air to air intercooler, but would like to find a best for my car, please help!
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2000, 05:00 PM   #2
PeteH
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 431
Talking

If it where only that simple :-) I too have been looking into installing an intercooler on my '92 Turbo Legacy. By reading the information that I recieved from Spearco it appears the air/air intercooler is the by far the most common with the water/air units coming into favor with the drag racers of late. I will go air/air with a water spray. Front mount or top mount? That's a tough one, front mount will allow you to go with a larger size core and probably better airflow through the core but you need longish tubes to get to it. Top mount you are limited in size with probably not as good air flow through the core (especially with the 'too-small' hood scoop) BUT it will be so close to the turbo lag will be next to nil. I would say if you stay conservative with the boost #'s a top mount will be suffice but if you plan on pushing a lot of hp go the front mount route.

Maybe we can get a group purchase going on intercoolers from Spearco ;-)
PeteH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2000, 11:15 PM   #3
Ben
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX wagon
Silver

Hi PeterH, Here in Toronto,I just talk to a guy who works for Tom McGee's WRX and he told me that he could find me an water-cool intercooler (same as Japan BC5 Legacy) and he said all he has to do is bypass a pump to pump the coolent from the radiator to the intercooler, I already have a "can't fitted" WRX intercooler, but he said the water cool is better then the air cool, Does he right?
Any down side for the water cool intercooler?
Which should I choose?
Thanks everyone for reply!
Enjoy Your Legacy!!
Old 04-05-2000, 03:05 AM   #4
Shik
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 132
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
1997 LGT Wagon 5spd
'06 LGT 5spd Ltd Sdn

Hey Ben. All things being stock, the water-to-air intercooler is probably a bit more effecient. But with todays air-to-air intercoolers, the difference is probably marginal( Shiv's spearco intercooler on Project Impreza had intake temps like 15 or 20 degrees above the outside ambient temp at full boost which is pretty good).

My WRX intercooler dropped intake temps around 30+ degrees which is better then nothing( intake temp in the high 90s at 9psi on a 60 degree day). And the way I look at it, Prodrive used the same basic top-mounted intercooler on the Group A Impreza for 4 years running 30+ psi of boost and they had VERY few engine failures. I know there is alot more things involved, but still, the intercooler seemed to work ok for them as well as the standard WRXs which ran 11+ psi of boost from the factory so I think it should work just fine for my 12psi max set-up. For the simplicity and price, I'm very pleased.

Also I recently talked to a fella running 14psi with NO intercooler on his Legacy and he heard next to no pinging and the ECU only had to retard the timing a max of 2 degreesat 14psi. Granted it is still somewhat cool outside but still that is pretty darn good.

Downside of the water-to-air intercooler? I would think price and complexity. There's basically only two parts to the air-to-air, the intercooler and it's pipe That makes it nice.
Shik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2000, 06:18 AM   #5
Ben
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX wagon
Silver

Hi Shik, thanks for your reply, since I still can't find the older Ver. WRX intercooler ,but the water cool is the only one I could get on hand right now. I know if I use the water-cool intercooler I have to make a piping and it may have problem in the future!!
But should I still looking for the air cool intercooler or just get the water cool intercooler?
Can't decide, please help!!
Old 04-05-2000, 10:38 AM   #6
Miller3339
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 299
Ben, buddy...you just assked the age old question....."what about an intercooler"...I just bought one from a Saab 99 that will fit with out too much trouble.....someone else is using one on a EJ22 motor and has done very well in Pro Rally...(E-mail me for some details) Big clue...the car is Yellow...also, you say that you have one of the "can't fit" WRX intercoolers?? is this a 99?? if so I know someone who has installed one and it works great!! if your is a 99 I can send him your waay...again just e-mail me if ya want. If you do go for the front mounted way, I thought that Teague was making one?? also you may want to contact MRT in Australia I know that they have a 93-96 intercooler for sale.

Hope that this helps
Miller3339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2000, 01:37 PM   #7
Shik
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 132
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
1997 LGT Wagon 5spd
'06 LGT 5spd Ltd Sdn

Ben, as Miller said, give MRT a try and if they are no help, try posting a "wanted" add in their classified section. I'm sure you will be able to find an early intercooler for pretty cheap.

It would be nice if you knew that you were getting all of the parts to the liquid-to-air intercooler and that everything fit with no problems. Not knowing those things would probably make me stay away from the deal but that is just me. On the other had, if you know of a good place that would be able to fabricate pieces if need be, and give you a hand installing it, that would be nice as well.

I like the older WRX intercoolers because I'm no fantastic mechanic and I was able to install it and get it working just fine with no real fabrication of pipes or anything involved and again, for what I will be doing with the car, I'm sure it will be more the good enough for me. Or if money is not really important, you can have someone custom make one for you. At least you know it's going to fit Good luck.
Shik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2000, 03:28 PM   #8
PeteH
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 431
Have a Nice Day?

Oh nooooo, the water/air intercooler does NOT use the same coolant as the motor! It has to have it's own completly seperate system, including it's own pump. If you could manage to get a COMPLETE system from a Jap spec car I would say go-for-it, but if you need to piece it together on your own forget it.

If you do go with the top mount (the easiest) I would still recommend fitting a larger hood scoop to get enough airflow over the core.
PeteH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2000, 06:01 AM   #9
Ben
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX wagon
Silver

Miller , did you got my e-mail?