Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday October 20, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Click here to visit TireRack
Brakes & Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Losing traction? Need new tires?
Click here to visit the NASIOC Upgrade Garage...
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Brakes, Steering & Suspension

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 04-23-2006, 08:56 PM   #1
Altaic
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 31098
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Default Power Steering Fluid / Steering Shimmy + Noise

I came across 2 quarts of Valvoline SynPower power steering fluid, and I was in the process of swapping my steering rack (a colossal pain in the ass, BTW), so I decided to give it a try. Now Subarus are supposed to use Dexron 3 automatic transmission fluid, so I'm wondering if I made a bad mistake by choosing to use this synthetic stuff.

I primed the steering pump and followed the service manual's instructions for working the bubbles out of the system. There seems to be no bubbles in the fluid reservoir after running my car and turning lock to lock a few times. Nevertheless, the pump whines when I'm turning while the engine's revved a bit. The steering also shakes somewhat.

So... will the problems go away on their own (given that they're caused by bubbles), or is the fluid bad, or am I looking at a different problem?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Altaic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 09:35 PM   #2
UkNuck
Scooby Guru

Member#: 21808
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Vehicle:
02 GroceryGettAr
Nonemore Black

I swapped to Mobil 1 synth when I did my rack back in the fall - no problems so far

I'd get it up to temp so the fluid thins a bit, then leave it overnight to give the air a chance to rise and maybe try doing the lock-to-lock procedure again (at first without running the motor, as the manual indicates). The manual pretty much suggests it may take a few tries iirc - definitely took me more than just "turning lock to lock a few times".

Glad you got the rack on btw
UkNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 10:59 PM   #3
Altaic
Scooby Newbie

Cool, thanks. I actually turned it more like twenty or thirty times, but after maybe six times there were no visible bubbles in the reservoir. It's been getting better the more I drive it, though. I'm wondering if some of the shimmying is due to the lower ratio rack (12.5:1) with the same power steering pump, though. I hope not.
Old 04-23-2006, 11:28 PM   #4
v8killer01
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 104836
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2003 Impreza WRX
Sodoma Red

It's probly just bubbles in the fluid. I found that putting it up on the stands when the fluid is cold and the car isn't running and working it back and forth, starting with very little turning and slowly working up to lock to lock (without hitting) then getting more and more aggresive. After doing this for a while start the car and do the same thing. A mechanic told me to do this and it worked. It was amazing to see all the bubbles. It's easier if you have one person working the wheel while one person watches for bubbles. It did however take a long time. Good Luck
v8killer01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 12:59 AM   #5
Altaic
Scooby Newbie

^^^ that's what I did, as per the service manual.