Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday March 19, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Legacy Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 06-04-2001, 10:45 AM   #1
medrvwrx
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 4728
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
Silver

Post DRL Must Die! How???

I did a search on this and all I got were some topics with lots of flames. I don't care what the safety people say, I want normal lights that I can turn off. Now how do you do it in a Legacy.

In my WRX, all I had to do was unplug a ballast cable.

2001 Legacy GT Limited

Thanks
Tony
'02 Silver WRX
'01 Platinum Pearl GT
medrvwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-2001, 02:23 PM   #2
Legacy STi L

Member#:
Question

Good question...anyone have an answer for us Legacy guys...? anyone...?
TIm
Old 06-06-2001, 07:16 AM   #3
RandyF

Member#:
We had a big thread in this forum not a month ago, but Nick has the search disabled, so I cant find it for you.

I think we determined that you had to fiddle with the sensor switch under the handbreak handle...

A
Old 06-07-2001, 06:24 AM   #4
Legacy STi L

Member#:
Exclamation

Randy, if you monkey with the Emerg. Brake handle won't you set off the red idiot light on the dash for all eternity? The simplist solution would be to bash the lights in with a hammer, of course this would limit your driving to the daylight hours only
TIm
Old 06-07-2001, 10:29 AM   #5
medrvwrx
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 4728
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
Silver

Come on guys! Give me some answers! I hate DRL's.

Tony
'02 WRX
'01 GT Limited
medrvwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2001, 04:15 PM   #6
dannyboy7
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 5432
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2006 Spec Beezie

I have the exact two cars as you, and I still havent found out how to disable the DRL's on the GT. The rex was easy.
dannyboy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2001, 08:44 AM   #7
omahasubaru
Scooby Guru

Member#: 1594
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
1999 2.5 RS
2002 Legacy

I'm trying to do this as well with the new addition to the Subaru Family 2002 Legacy. All we've found is e-brake up one notch will keep lights off and won't actually enguage the brakes. It fixes the DRL issue, but adds an ugly red BRAKE light on the dash, there must be a good fix for this.

Jon
omahasubaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2001, 01:35 PM   #8
Legacy STi L

Member#:

hey crazy idea here...buy another push button fog light relay from the dealer. Like the one on the left side of the dash, You should have 3 rectangular pop outs there. Splice into the DRL leads and wire it into the open slot on the dash. Could this work. I believe that the price of the switch from the dealer is around 30.
TIm
Old 07-30-2001, 01:53 PM   #9
omahasubaru
Scooby Guru

Member#: 1594
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
1999 2.5 RS
2002 Legacy

Default might, but.......

The 3 blanks, 1 for cruise, one for fog lights and the third will be for the alarm indicator light that is going in on Friday. I don't want to solve the problem by adding something, I hope it can be done via dis-abling a wire, or putting in some bypass wire.
omahasubaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2001, 02:06 PM   #10
francophile
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 8666
Vehicle:
2005 STi
Crystal Gray

The DRLs on the Legacy appear to work the same way they do on the WRX, namely turning on the low beams at a diminished brightness (I think it is 80% of full power). If so, then there is probably a ballast SOMEWHERE. I did a moderately long search once about a month ago and could not find it however.

I also got some advice about a relay next to the interior fuse box; unplug the relay and poof, no more DRLs. This advice turned out to be useless. It may have been accurate for a pre-'00 Legacy but did not work on mine.

I went as far as to pop the console off and wire the handbrake switch so that the DRLs never came on. Unfortunately I realized a day or so later that not only did the constant red brake warning light bother me more than the DRLs, it also meant that I would probably not be adequately warned if something actually did go wrong with the brakes. So I undid that "fix".

In short, I too am still in search of a solution. The really funny thing is that I think DRLs are a useful item in some situations, so whatever I do will have to be switchable from the driver's seat.

Cheers,
-wdb
francophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2001, 10:10 AM   #11
Legacy STi L

Member#:

In the BG models I know that the 3 punch outs are for Alarm, Cruise, and Fogs. But IIRC the BH with the VDC/LL.Bean Outbacks that have the third switch hole is dedicated to the front and side window defrosters. So unless you add the defrost option you would not need this slot. Can some OB owner confirm this?
TIm