Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday November 23, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Proven Power Bragging

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2006, 07:27 PM   #26
kiwee
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 119232
Join Date: Jul 2006
Default

once you get over 300+whp you are playing with fire on the na2.0L block. supporting upgrades will get you about 290-295. unless you go with a really conservative tune on a 18/20g.
i am tuned to run 18.6psi with boost cut at 21.
the vf22/23 is good to go with an oversized tmic, anything fmic is overkill imo!
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
kiwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 07:30 PM   #27
fastwrx25
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 126441
Join Date: Sep 2006
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: TPE
Vehicle:
03 bugeye

Default

^^any links to a dyno plot? how much hp/tq you making if you are running a 23?
fastwrx25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 07:31 PM   #28
Quack
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 57264
Join Date: Mar 2004
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Aurora, OH
Vehicle:
2004 18g Wagon - WRB
PDX Tuned - 329whp/315wtq

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwee View Post
once you get over 300+whp you are playing with fire on the na2.0L block.
that's only if you have a crap tune.
Quack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 08:51 AM   #29
kiwee
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 119232
Join Date: Jul 2006
Default

^^^^ how can you possibly push more out of the 2.0 block?
i see you are getting some good numbers on an 04 rex. what block are you running?
kiwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 08:56 AM   #30
Quack
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 57264
Join Date: Mar 2004
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Aurora, OH
Vehicle:
2004 18g Wagon - WRB
PDX Tuned - 329whp/315wtq

Default

stock USDM block
could always add meth, a bigger turbo, EWG.

i have 83k miles on the wagon since i bought it in March 2004
42k miles with the 18g
30k miles with a VF30
10k miles at Stg2
~1k bone stock
Quack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 10:39 AM   #31
kiwee
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 119232
Join Date: Jul 2006
Default

^^^^ what psi are you hitting? running a boost controller?
how conservative is the tune on the 18g?
kiwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 11:13 AM   #32
Quack
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 57264
Join Date: Mar 2004
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Aurora, OH
Vehicle:
2004 18g Wagon - WRB
PDX Tuned - 329whp/315wtq

Default

Quack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 02:31 AM   #33
WRXRallyBlue
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 48831
Join Date: Nov 2003
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Reno
Vehicle:
2002 Protuned Wagon
Bugeyes Forever

Default

.....
WRXRallyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 06:20 AM   #34
HndaTch627
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 6551
Join Date: May 2001
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Carol Stream, IL
Vehicle:
'01 GC8 Dinged STM
'09 Concours 14 ABS Black

Default

bump!

Just installed the VF-23, haven't gotten the chance to flash the ECM yet so i am just running wastegate pressure right now. I have a question though, what are you guys running as a helper spring and how are you installing it? I know PE used to offer the springs/wastegate actuators but they were a bit pricey. I would like to run a 14psi spring to help with spool and since the car is already a bit of wiring nightmare i think it's a better option then the GM BCS.

Here's what the modlist is

2003 WRX Swap
IHI VF-23(currently 7psi wastegate)
TurboXS Stealth Back W/ Prodrive Box
TurboXS V1 Hyperflow Top Mount
Modded Stock WRX Injectors
Warlbro 255LPH Pump
OpenECU Reflash
JDM STi Up-pipe

Any pointers you guys can reccomend?

ride5000 what kinda IDC's are you seeing with the fuel pressure that high? Also what kind of A/F Ratios?

I'm looking for about 250whp/250tq and starting to get excited after seeing that boost onset graph. For what its worth my TD-04 was on it's last legs and i wasn't getting full boost on it till 3200 RPM(then again maybe it was the cast iron TXS up-pipe that would leak at random not helping matters).

Jeremy
HndaTch627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 08:15 AM   #35
SQC120
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 39677
Join Date: Jul 2003
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2008 Land Rover
02 WRX

Default

ont waste w/ the helper spring just yet. get a tune first.
SQC120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 09:31 PM   #36
bObby
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 66959
Join Date: Jul 2004
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: straight out of Compton
Vehicle:
VF Engineer'd e46
M3 500hp club

Default

i would get tuned before thinking about the wastegate acuator.

this weekend im installing my ewg setup and have a top mount now. so sometime next week its going to get tuned. ill have to show whats the final outcome is for my project
bObby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 10:52 PM   #37
ITP
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 131227
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Columbus,OH
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by overboost View Post
i would get tuned before thinking about the wastegate acuator.

this weekend im installing my ewg setup and have a top mount now. so sometime next week its going to get tuned. ill have to show whats the final outcome is for my project
Who's doing your tuning? Just curious. There aren't many suby tuners in Ohio.
ITP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 05:11 AM   #38
bObby
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 66959
Join Date: Jul 2004
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: straight out of Compton
Vehicle:
VF Engineer'd e46
M3 500hp club

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITP View Post
Who's doing your tuning? Just curious. There aren't many suby tuners in Ohio.
Pure Tuning which is in Toledo, OH

or Slowmotion Motorsports in Columbus, OH


and thennnnn Im going to retune again when Tim Bailey from PDX finds time to fly out to Ohio and tune at Buschur Racing. But Im going to one of the two I mentioned so I can atleast drive the car for the time being. Tim is just bad azz
bObby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 11:02 AM   #39
ride5000
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 32792
Join Date: Feb 2003
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: lincoln, ri
Vehicle:
2003 GGA MBP
12.9 / 105+

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HndaTch627 View Post
bump!

Just installed the VF-23, haven't gotten the chance to flash the ECM yet so i am just running wastegate pressure right now. I have a question though, what are you guys running as a helper spring and how are you installing it? I know PE used to offer the springs/wastegate actuators but they were a bit pricey. I would like to run a 14psi spring to help with spool and since the car is already a bit of wiring nightmare i think it's a better option then the GM BCS.

Here's what the modlist is

2003 WRX Swap
IHI VF-23(currently 7psi wastegate)
TurboXS Stealth Back W/ Prodrive Box
TurboXS V1 Hyperflow Top Mount
Modded Stock WRX Injectors
Warlbro 255LPH Pump
OpenECU Reflash
JDM STi Up-pipe

Any pointers you guys can reccomend?

ride5000 what kinda IDC's are you seeing with the fuel pressure that high? Also what kind of A/F Ratios?

I'm looking for about 250whp/250tq and starting to get excited after seeing that boost onset graph. For what its worth my TD-04 was on it's last legs and i wasn't getting full boost on it till 3200 RPM(then again maybe it was the cast iron TXS up-pipe that would leak at random not helping matters).

Jeremy
i missed this the first time around.

idcs go static @ 300g/s and high 11s to 1 afr. by my napkin calcs running ~30psi over base gives me "pinks," and that jives with my max airflow mass and afr when they go static. pinks are 300whp injectors on 93 pump gas, and 300whp is ~300g/s airflow.

i only hit 300g/s on cold days.. ie <35*F or so.

i put the home depot spring on. iirc it was rated as a 15 or 20# spring. wastegate pressure went up to 12-13psi. perfect, imho. i can personally attest to the fact that the turbo will hold 27+ psi with that gate pressure. i'd put it on and get the car tuned with it on.

if your td04 was hurting spool-wise like that, the vf23 will be all and no !
ride5000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 02:58 PM   #40
ITP
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 131227
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Columbus,OH
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by overboost View Post
Pure Tuning which is in Toledo, OH

or Slowmotion Motorsports in Columbus, OH


and thennnnn Im going to retune again when Tim Bailey from PDX finds time to fly out to Ohio and tune at Buschur Racing. But Im going to one of the two I mentioned so I can atleast drive the car for the time being. Tim is just bad azz

What tuning software/hardware are you using? I thought that Pure Tuning's dyno was only 2wd. The guys at Slomotion are pretty nice. I have tuned a few cars over there using they're Dynopac. Didn't know that they had a suby guy in-house.
ITP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 04:35 AM   #41
bObby
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 66959
Join Date: Jul 2004
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: straight out of Compton
Vehicle:
VF Engineer'd e46
M3 500hp club

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITP View Post
What tuning software/hardware are you using? I thought that Pure Tuning's dyno was only 2wd. The guys at Slomotion are pretty nice. I have tuned a few cars over there using they're Dynopac. Didn't know that they had a suby guy in-house.
Pure Tuning bought a AWD Mustang dyno almost a year ago. They have been doing quite a bit of evos and stis. Keith is pretty good with working with the UTEC. The guy who tunes at SloMo does Subarus too. I was told he pull down over 600whp in a STi. So Ill just flip a coin and see who I will go to soon


Bobby
bObby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 10:51 AM   #42
ITP
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 131227
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Columbus,OH
Default

I know the Sti that you are talking about. It put down 670 ish at SloMo. But they didn't tune it. Phil from Element was brought in by the customer to tune the Hydra.
ITP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 12:16 PM   #43
Quack
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 57264
Join Date: Mar 2004
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Aurora, OH
Vehicle:
2004 18g Wagon - WRB
PDX Tuned - 329whp/315wtq

Default

yep, tuned by Element, put down 678whp on the SloMo dyno, came up the next day to dyno on Bushurs. go the nut-kick when he put down ~500whp
it's been sold since then and now it's up here in cleveland. the motor's out again for the 2nd time since the guy bought it.
Quack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 01:58 PM   #44
ITP
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 131227
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Columbus,OH
Default

No wonder buschers dyno is dubbed 'heartbreaker'.

Yeah, I had heard that the new owner promptly blew it up.

The previous owner(Alex) is builing another car as we speak. At least that's the rumor.
ITP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 10:53 AM   #45
kiwee
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 119232
Join Date: Jul 2006
Default

bumpage!
this is the official vf23 thread. heh!
any new installs?
i want more pressure! ~18.6psi now.
kiwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 11:14 AM   #46
Rasmusson14
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 77658
Join Date: Dec 2004
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Pemberville, Ohio
Vehicle:
2004 ej207, ppg dogs
3" green, ITS ALL 4 SALE!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwee View Post
bumpage!
this is the official vf23 thread. heh!
any new installs?
i want more pressure! ~18.6psi now.
Bobby is getting tuned at the end of this month by Tim again. This EWG and TMIC needed to be optimized. He should spool very quickly.

I too shall be joining the vf23 flock soon enough. I pick one up tomorrow In regards to tuning, does anyone have a OpenECU map or Street Tuner map I could look at? This turbo isn't getting put on until I learn some more over @ 'enginuity' and 'openecu'.

Last edited by Rasmusson14; 03-08-2007 at 11:26 AM.
Rasmusson14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 11:45 AM   #47
Quack
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 57264
Join Date: Mar 2004
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Aurora, OH
Vehicle:
2004 18g Wagon - WRB
PDX Tuned - 329whp/315wtq

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITP View Post
No wonder buschers dyno is dubbed 'heartbreaker'.

Yeah, I had heard that the new owner promptly blew it up.

The previous owner(Alex) is builing another car as we speak. At least that's the rumor.
there were problems with the motor (can you say valve float). it was down twice since the guy bought it. the motor is rebuilt now, and shouldn't have any problems.

Last edited by Quack; 03-08-2007 at 12:36 PM.
Quack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 12:34 PM   #48
SloRice
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 44351
Join Date: Sep 2003
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Vehicle:
2004 Mitsubishi Evo
701whp 9.91@146

Default

Don't have much to say about the first motor build, but the second motor build was poor to say the least. It's now back up and running and going strong so far.

Alex is building a turbo H6 in a GC8 body.
SloRice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 06:24 PM   #49
aps2fast4u
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 57871
Join Date: Mar 2004
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Windham,Maine
Vehicle:
2004 WRX
13.4 @ 102

Default

^^ Ahh, so that's the secret weapon that's gonna take-out Buschur in the shootout huh??
aps2fast4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 01:43 PM   #50
Farfrumwork
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 10202
Join Date: Sep 2001
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Louisville, CO
Vehicle:
'07 Spec B
'85 EJ25 Syncro Westy

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ride5000 View Post
besides the 22, it's the only other vf with a p20 hotside.
Does anybody know the difference between a P20 and an 20R exhaust housing?

I have a VF12 that will be going on (finally) in about a week, and it has a 20R hotside. I believe (think) that the vf12 has the same hot side as a vf22/23 but a smaller compressor

The 20R housing has a inlet of 44.5mm, and the turbine is 53mm major dia/46mm minor dia - not sure of the actual terminology here either, but I'm sure you get what I'm talking about.

The vf12 is very hard to get any info on....

(edited for correct turbine size info)

Last edited by Farfrumwork; 03-12-2007 at 12:39 PM.
Farfrumwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FS: PDX Tuning STG4 GT30R KIT, EVERYTHING! W/PDX Tuning Map rbrjr82 Engine/Power/Exhaust 19 05-04-2008 01:44 PM
PDX- 93 oct by PDX Tuning? advanracing62 North West Impreza Club Forum -- NWIC 7 06-06-2007 08:37 PM
PDX Tuned WRX Dyno Results! ScoobySnacker Proven Power Bragging 10 04-02-2007 05:02 PM
1/4 times for PDX tuning stage 4 wrx??? jester458 Proven Power Bragging 21 02-22-2007 01:09 PM
2.5l WRX Hybrid - PDX Tuning Remnex Proven Power Bragging 12 08-30-2006 02:59 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.