Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday November 20, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Normally Aspirated with bolt-on Forced Induction Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 10-08-2001, 04:59 AM   #1
Eric SS
Sooby Guru

Member#: 1914
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Vehicle:
2000 2.5RS w/ EJ22T
swap and N20. gone. : (

Default I guess the head is damaged.. bummer

I finally got the driver side head off and it does have some damage Not a lot but it looks weird. something I havenever seen before. It appears that the very small pieces of the cylinder that broke off actually stayed in the combustion chamber (which is better than going through the turbo I guess) and it looks like they actually melted onto the valves or smething. It's hard to tell and the pics are kind of hard to discern. The valves are not bent and the seats don;t appear to have much if any damage either.

I was worried when I first took the head off because I could move the cam gear about 15 degrees in either direction but after I took the valvetrain off it appears that all the cam base circles happen to be at the same area on one part of the cam and it just happen to be in that area. does that sound right? the cam looks fine.

Anyway, here is what a normal Combustion chamber looks like (#3):

And here is what #4 looks like. weird huh. It's hard ot tell but the valves and Combustion chamber don;t seem to be marked up. it actually seems like extra metal melted on them!:

I'm going to take another high quality shot to try to give everyone a better fix on what it looks like since it is hard to tell from the pictures

Eric
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Eric SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2001, 05:14 AM   #2
Eric SS
Sooby Guru

Vehicle:
2000 2.5RS w/ EJ22T

Here are some shots of the good Exhaust and the damaged exhaust valves. hopefully a little better than the previous pic. I still say they look weird.

#3 good:

#4 bad:

Eric
Old 10-08-2001, 03:06 PM   #3
8Complex

Member#: 922
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
04 FXT
Red

Strange... have you tried polishing it off the face of the combustion chamber? You might be able to take a Dremel with a mild grinding bit and do a bit of smoothing to it. I was concerned about mine as well, I ended up buying a used head from a junkyard ($250+shp).
8Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2001, 03:58 PM   #4
Eric SS
Sooby Guru

Vehicle:
2000 2.5RS w/ EJ22T

Good idea nick. I'll try that and see what happens

Eric