Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday July 28, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Legacy Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 10-19-1999, 11:15 PM   #1
Ben
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 423
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Vehicle:
2002 WRX wagon
Silver

Lightbulb Turbo boost control?

Hi everyone, does anyone install an turbo boost control to your Legacy turbo?
If you do so, what is your set up?
I just got an Apexi AVC-R, but don't know how to set it up!!
Can I just install this turbo boost control without the intercooler?
if without the intercooler, whats the highest boost ?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-1999, 08:07 AM   #2
Submerk
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 116
Did you upgrade your ECU? If you are not, I don't think you can increase any boost. The computer will cut off at 8.5 psi. Should upgrade the ECU first. MRT, Starchips, JCsports (If they still have it), Superchips (Call and ask them, they upgraded mine)
I hope this help
Submerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-1999, 08:58 AM   #3
Subarist
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 166
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2008 STi

Actually, the AVC-R worked fine for me w/o an Boost Cut Controller. However, I have a AFC too.

W/o the IC I would not go over 13 psi or so. It seems that over 15 psi, w/o the IC the IHI turbo in the Legacy Sports Sedan becomes inefficient.

Did you get the older AVC-R or the new one?
Subarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-1999, 11:02 AM   #4
Submerk
Scooby Newbie

Is that mean your AVC-R or AFC disable the boost cut control? I know that SFC-Hyper R can disable that because it said in the manual. So that's mean APEXi can do too. Thanks this is a new information.
Old 10-20-1999, 04:32 PM   #5
Shik
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 132
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
1997 LGT wagon
2015 WRX on order

As some of you guys know, I use the Hallman manual boost controller( very popular with the Mitsubishi guys). Not as convenient as an EBC but works almost as good. Anyway, I have it set right now at 9psi and it has touched 10psi on some cool nights with no problems( stock ECU). The Hallman is about $90.00 and takes about 5 minutes to install.

I believe the ECU activates the *supposed* boost cut off when it sees too much air going through the Mas air flow meter. If this is the case, I could see how the fuel computers that you guys mentioned would be able to get rid of this signal because all the MAS signals have to go through the fuel computer first before it gets to the ECU. I must thank you guys for discovering this as I was somewhat worried about what I would do when it cam time to start pushing the boost up a bit.

Subaruist, 20psi !?! Tell us, what was it like? Was that with the stock fuel system and everything?
Shik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-1999, 04:55 PM   #6
Ben
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX wagon
Silver

My AVC-R is the new one that have a blue matrix screen!
I'm not install yet to my car, because someone told me that if I over boost the turbo , it may blow the engine!!
Also how you guys install the boost control? Is it easy to install by myself?
Could it use without the intercooler?
Thanks for all the infomations!!!
Old 10-20-1999, 04:56 PM   #7
Subarist
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2008 STi

The stock turbo I have is very efficient after 15 psi. So from 15 to 20 psi, I did not see any change. However, at 15 psi, the car felt much more like the RS/RA Legacy over in Japan. It was kind of scary at first since I didn't know what to expect.
I plan to get a more efficient IHI turbo soon, capable of 22 psi w/o any problems.

Old 10-20-1999, 05:02 PM   #8
Subarist
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2008 STi

Upto 0.9 kg/cm^2 or 13 psi, the I/C would be nice but would not be a necessarily required. People do say that over 7 psi, you'll need one anyways.

I did not install my boost controller, but seeing what was done, it doesn't look too hard. Sorting out the wires from the ECU will be time consuming though.

[Had units wrong]

[This message has been edited by Subarist (edited October 22, 1999).]
Old 10-20-1999, 10:10 PM   #9
Submerk
Scooby Newbie

I didn't install by myself, and I don't want to mess around with the electrical stuff.
Old 10-21-1999, 12:53 AM   #10
Subarist
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2008 STi

In the manual, it did say that certain cars may need to buy the optional fuel cut controller, or boost cut controller. I was able to tweek the boost setting to 20 psi with no problem. As I have said, I do not no if this is b/c of the AFC as well, probably not but....
As far as I know, our cars aren't supposed to produce more than 10 psi without any ECU fooling. Maybe the AVC-R has this capability built in.
Old 10-22-1999, 08:50 AM   #11
Ben
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX wagon
Silver

Could you guys tell me how to conver the psi to bar or kg/cm??
Also , isn't that means I could boost my car to 10 psi to 11 psi without have the intercooler???
I don't have the AFC, so, will the car runs less fuel and damage the engine???
Old 10-22-1999, 09:43 AM   #12
Subarist
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2008 STi

Just don't go over 13 psi w/o the IC or AFC. The ECU in our unit does adjust itself, so I do not see an immidiate problem w/o a fuel managent system. However it would be nice to get one.

10 psi = 0.6895 Bars
Old 10-22-1999, 10:30 AM   #13
Submerk
Scooby Newbie

On my old turbo without intercooler, I ran 12 psi. Now I still run 12 psi, sometimes 14 psi. I don't want to run over 15 psi, even I have the fuel controller. I don't know how much psi the engine can hold. I want to be on the safe side. I have seen some of my friend blown the head gasket before, it's very expensive to fix.
Old 10-22-1999, 10:42 AM   #14
Subarist
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2008 STi

Since our car is a closed deck design, the car should be able to take more boost than the bolt-on Honda or even the Subaru. The Legacy in Japan can take well over 22 psi. Byrons car is running over 15 psi for over 2 years, since the JC Sports days. I would be more worried for the rods.
Old 10-22-1999, 10:42 PM   #15
Ben
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX wagon
Silver

Smile

Thanks guys, your information are so helpful, I will try to install the AVC-R by myself next week, and lets see how much different between them! If you guys still have any advice just post or e-mail to me. my e-mail address is:
b.lam@usa.net!
Unforturnaly , I got the wrong intercooler, hope some of the weld shop can solve my problem!
Thanks for all the helpful info.
Enjoy Your Legacy!!! (me too)(^_^)