Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday July 28, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Miscellaneous > Off-Topic

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2006, 10:23 AM   #1
Asinine
Sufficiently Snarky
 
Member#: 55173
Join Date: Feb 2004
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: I beat up big rocks
Vehicle:
with paddles.

Question Do lawnmowers usually go on sale in the end of summer/fall?

I've been obsessing over my lawn for the past 3 months (to the point where I think even I could unload some buckshot into someone who walked across it) and as a result, it is growing at least twice as fast as the surrounding grass. Bare spots will soon be a thing of the past, and my yard will be covered in a lush green carpet!

Anyway, it's a townhome, and I've only got a .06 acre lot to tend to, so I've been borrowing my father in law's mower. Unfortunetely, I think I'm going to need to cut every weekend since it grows so fast--and driving the mower back and forth is a pain. Additionally, it's a 18+ year old mower and is starting to misfire frequently (though its Briggs & Straton engine starts on the first pull most times).

I was looking at two mowers around $220 at Sears (Snapper w/ 4.75hp B&S engine) and Home Depot (Poulon Pro w/ 6.75hp B&S engine). I would buy one next weekend if I didn't suspect they'd be going on sale in the fall. What say you, OT? Imprezton, I'm looking in yor direction.

C.N.: Do mowers go on sale seasonally like grills do?

P.S. Anyone have specific brand recommendation?
P.P.S. Anyone in NoVA able to get a discount on these sort of things?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Asinine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 10:26 AM   #2
MattJP
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 1280
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Pittsburgh, PA.
Default

Use a manual mower. They cut better. But yes, end of year or even refurb is a good way to go...
MattJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 10:26 AM   #3
rogue
Teddy Goalsevelt
Super Moderator
 
Member#: 7977
Join Date: Jul 2001
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Sterling, VA
Vehicle:
100% Abuse

Default

Sure, they go on sale. Probably don't even have to wait for fall, they'll get cheaper as summer ramps up. Most people are already buying now, if they have a surplus in July they'll want to dump them.

I have an electric Black & Decker. It uses and extension cord. Never worry about starting, lightweight, no messing with fuel or spark plugs or anything... just plug it in and go.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 10:28 AM   #4
ZMANNH25rs
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 9401
Join Date: Aug 2001
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Bis dat, qui cito dat...
Vehicle:
. Truth is a
pathless land...

Default

Most professional landscape companies also sell their used equipment for decent prices and they are usually pretty new and well maintained.
ZMANNH25rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 10:29 AM   #5
rogue
Teddy Goalsevelt
Super Moderator
 
Member#: 7977
Join Date: Jul 2001
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Sterling, VA
Vehicle:
100% Abuse

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMANNH25rs
Most professional landscape companies also sell their used equipment for decent prices and they are usually pretty new and well maintained.


Why would a professional landscaper sell his new and well maintained equipment for cheap?
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 10:32 AM   #6
doubledribble
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 42912
Join Date: Sep 2003
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Newark, DE
Vehicle:
2003 Outback Sport
bird **** & door dings

Default

there are always mower sales, you just have to catch them. i bet around father's day sears will have a craftsman sale. i picked up a decent craftsman 4.75hp mulch/bag mower for around $150 on sale last summer.
doubledribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 10:34 AM   #7
Asinine
Sufficiently Snarky
 
Member#: 55173
Join Date: Feb 2004
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: I beat up big rocks
Vehicle:
with paddles.

Default

I am going to stear clear of electric. I have an electric weed whacker/eater and the cord drives me batty. I guess I'll just keep watching out for the sales as we move into summer.
Asinine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 10:36 AM   #8
BacDoc
Tone Patrol
 
Member#: 75141
Join Date: Nov 2004
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Default

A wheel on my old one broke Friday. $300 for a new one.



Barrowed my neighbors "personal pace" toro and I'm sold.
BacDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 10:36 AM   #9
lark6
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 2715
Join Date: Oct 2000
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: where GW crossed the Delaware
Vehicle:
70 911T

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue
Sure, they go on sale. Probably don't even have to wait for fall, they'll get cheaper as summer ramps up. Most people are already buying now, if they have a surplus in July they'll want to dump them.
Yes, they're starting to go one sale now.

Just bought a Toro Recycler this weekend. Jury is out but so far the pros far outweigh the cons.

EDIT: It looks just like the one BacDoc posted, except has key start as well as pull start.
lark6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 10:37 AM   #10
rogue
Teddy Goalsevelt
Super Moderator
 
Member#: 7977
Join Date: Jul 2001
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Sterling, VA
Vehicle:
100% Abuse

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asinine
I am going to stear clear of electric. I have an electric weed whacker/eater and the cord drives me batty. I guess I'll just keep watching out for the sales as we move into summer.
You say that now, but in a month or two you'll be back here complaining that your new gas powered mower is making some kind of screeching/whistling noise.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 10:38 AM   #11
ZMANNH25rs
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 9401
Join Date: Aug 2001
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Bis dat, qui cito dat...
Vehicle:
. Truth is a
pathless land...

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue


Why would a professional landscaper sell his new and well maintained equipment for cheap?

I'm not sure, but I know of two large lanscaping companies that constantly have used equipment for sale from little lawnmowers, to industrial size ones. These are large companies, maybe they want to keep the impression that they only use new equipment and end up replacing equipment every couple of years or so...not sure why...just know they do it ?
ZMANNH25rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 10:39 AM   #12
rogue
Teddy Goalsevelt
Super Moderator
 
Member#: 7977
Join Date: Jul 2001
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Sterling, VA
Vehicle:
100% Abuse

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMANNH25rs
I'm not sure, but I know of two large lanscaping companies that constantly have used equipment for sale from little lawnmowers, to industrial size ones. These are large companies, maybe they want to keep the impression that they only use new equipment and end up replacing equipment every couple of years or so...not sure why...just know they do it ?
I can't imagine they'd want to keep up that impression... what do you care how new your landscaper's equipment is, so long as they cut the grass?
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 11:12 AM   #13
Scoobie Noobie
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 65498
Join Date: Jul 2004
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Black Sheep Squadron
Default

Maybe they take a tax write off on it.
Scoobie Noobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 11:16 AM   #14
big_mac314
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 38251
Join Date: Jun 2003
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: NC
Default

0.06 acre =

big_mac314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 11:24 AM   #15
Asinine
Sufficiently Snarky
 
Member#: 55173
Join Date: Feb 2004
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: I beat up big rocks
Vehicle:
with paddles.

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_mac314
0.06 acre =
I considered that, however, they sell for between $80-$90 for a decent one. Additionally, I like to collect the mulched clippings for use in my garden. We're growing pumpkins and cataloupe this year. Finally, I really do not want grass clippings sitting in my grass... and I don't want to rake everything up. I'm constantly reseeding and overseeding, and that would damage the seedlings.
Asinine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 11:27 AM   #16
boxered
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 61884
Join Date: May 2004
Chapter/Region: International
Location: buying guns
Default

In the long run..jesusrodriquez is cheaper..
boxered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 11:28 AM   #17
big_mac314
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 38251
Join Date: Jun 2003
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: NC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asinine
I considered that, however, they sell for between $80-$90 for a decent one. Additionally, I like to collect the mulched clippings for use in my garden. We're growing pumpkins and cataloupe this year. Finally, I really do not want grass clippings sitting in my grass... and I don't want to rake everything up. I'm constantly reseeding and overseeding, and that would damage the seedlings.


I like to collect mine early in the growing season when new grass is starting to emerge, but I like to let it compost later in the growing season on my lawn. Besides, emptying a bag 3-4 times per mowing is a real PITA.
big_mac314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 11:33 AM   #18
hotshot172
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 85253
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Moore
Vehicle:
06 Beast Mode
I survived an F5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asinine
We're growing pumpkins and cataloupe this year.
huh? cataloupe?
hotshot172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 11:34 AM   #19
Asinine
Sufficiently Snarky
 
Member#: 55173
Join Date: Feb 2004
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: I beat up big rocks
Vehicle:
with paddles.

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotshot172
huh? cataloupe?
hybrid between a melon and a short-haired blue russian.
Asinine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 11:40 AM   #20
1 Lucky Texan
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 46320
Join Date: Oct 2003
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Outoftheblue&intotheblack
Vehicle:
06 WRX Sportwagon
Aspen White

Default

If you NEED to save money, also check the pawnshops.

You'd THINK winter time would be good but actually, competition is highest in spring/early summer and that's when the sales are on.

Are there any mowers with the FHI/Robin engine?

Carl
1 Lucky Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 12:04 PM   #21
Asinine
Sufficiently Snarky
 
Member#: 55173
Join Date: Feb 2004
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: I beat up big rocks
Vehicle:
with paddles.

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 Lucky Texan
Are there any mowers with the FHI/Robin engine?

Carl
Never heard of it. 80% of the mower out there have B&S engines, and then there are a few Honda engines that are much pricier.
Asinine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 12:37 PM   #22
1 Lucky Texan
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 46320
Join Date: Oct 2003
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Outoftheblue&intotheblack
Vehicle:
06 WRX Sportwagon
Aspen White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asinine
Never heard of it. 80% of the mower out there have B&S engines, and then there are a few Honda engines that are much pricier.
Just thought it would be cool to have a Subaru lawnmower if one existed. I guess thy're just on generators.

I had a mower once with a Tecumseh - good engine, outlasted the deck.

Carl

edit; WOOT! - you can even get Ninja accessories!

http://lawnmowerplace.com/snapper/wa...cp214012r2.htm
1 Lucky Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 09:32 AM   #23
BacDoc
Tone Patrol
 
Member#: 75141
Join Date: Nov 2004
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacDoc
A wheel on my old one broke Friday. $300 for a new one.



Barrowed my neighbors "personal pace" toro and I'm sold.

$390 out the Home Depot doors this weekend. Might be the greatest push mower ever. The personal pace system is seemless with it's variable clutch that basically senses how fast or slow you wanna go.
BacDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 09:47 AM   #24
lark6
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 2715
Join Date: Oct 2000
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: where GW crossed the Delaware
Vehicle:
70 911T

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacDoc
$390 out the Home Depot doors this weekend. Might be the greatest push mower ever. The personal pace system is seemless with it's variable clutch that basically senses how fast or slow you wanna go.
That's where I bought mine and that's what I paid for it. Such an easy mower to use that my wife actually pushed it around a bit, causing me to in shock. The only thing I don't like about it is that clippings discharged into the bag tend to gather on the sloping rear deck, making more of a mess than necessary when I remove the bag. If the rear deck was just straight up-and-down (as it was on my previous Craftsman mower) all the clippings would have to go in the bag. A minor inconvenience in the grand scheme of things.
lark6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 09:59 AM   #25
BacDoc
Tone Patrol
 
Member#: 75141
Join Date: Nov 2004
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lark6
That's where I bought mine and that's what I paid for it. Such an easy mower to use that my wife actually pushed it around a bit, causing me to in shock. The only thing I don't like about it is that clippings discharged into the bag tend to gather on the sloping rear deck, making more of a mess than necessary when I remove the bag. If the rear deck was just straight up-and-down (as it was on my previous Craftsman mower) all the clippings would have to go in the bag. A minor inconvenience in the grand scheme of things.

I don't use the bag so I don't know about that. My only complaint is that if you want to walk away from the mower to move/open something you have to turn it off. Old mower you could disengauge the blade and leave the mower running.
BacDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
AZP 30k/60k Recession Special Sale til The End of the Year AZP Installs Tri-State Area Vendor Classifieds 10 12-22-2008 11:30 AM
Mitsubishi "i" to go on sale in the UK NYCshopper Non-Subaru News & Rumors 13 02-18-2007 11:51 PM
Ultra Lap Timer on sale until the end of Dec! 555ideways Motorsports 1 12-27-2006 12:25 PM
SSR and the end of summer update skiblur Member's Car Gallery 13 09-17-2005 03:15 AM
Evo magazine now on sale in the US of A? SkirtBoy Off-Topic 17 11-14-2003 11:18 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.