Progress under way. Picked up some supplies and got started on my gauge mounting.
First was drilling the holes for the gauges in some plastic I found at Home Depot that had a nice 90degree lip on the bottom.. just what I was looking for. Then used a 2" hole saw for the gauge holes. Works nice and the gauges sit snug in them.
Then had to do some more trimming of the trim piece and the plastic to make it fit just right. I was wanting to make sure that the holes cut for the gauges would line up over the HVAC controls for some symetry.
I also wanted to make sure that the top of where the single din slot was looked like the angled top of the stock trim piece to make it look more factory..so some trimming was involved there
Then I used a glue gun to temporarily hold it in place so I could start with the body filler. This picture is just after the first layer and sanding of the filler.. lots more finishing work to do
Here are a couple of more pics with it in the car.. in the second picture the gauges are sticking out a bit and not sitting flush just because I wanted a test photo and didn't want to fight to get them back out since they are snug. In the end it will all be painted silver and I will paint the trim pieces above it as well so the colors all match.